• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• Thor

• Nicholai

• jjmed59

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Squall said:

Dua didn't do anything, she just followed CRJ (even though she isn't successful anymore) and The Weeknd's path :skull: 

Did CRJ do disco?  I know she's done dance pop extremely well, but I cannot think of any more disco inspired tracks (though I'm not a huge fan of hers so I definitely could be missing something)

She didn't follow The Weekend though, especially as both their projects were coming out at nearly the exact same time. :skull: 

Don't Start Now - October 31, 2019

Future Nostalgia - March 27, 2020

Blinding Lights - November 29, 2019

After Hours - March 20, 2020

8 minutes ago, Squall said:

Dua didn't do anything, she just followed CRJ (even though she isn't successful anymore) and The Weeknd's path :skull: 

Future Nostalgia sounds nothing like FOMOTION. Both have 80s influence yes but many Pop albums have that in common.

And Don't Start Now was literally released a whole MONTH before Abel even started his After Hours era and released Blinding Lights. They both started their eras around the same time and BOTH helped with this retro dance revival. 

For the love of god do some research before making fools out of yourselves. ?

Edited by State of Grace.

Trying to deny Gaga’s status as a trend setting figure, perhaps more than ever with Chromatica, is an exercise in futility. Even beyond the house influences of the era preceding the latest wave of mainstream house with Drake and Beyoncé, and the thematic influence noted above, she also showcased more underground sounds like hyperpop on Dawn Of Chromatica in a way no other artist of her stature had yet done. I feel like she gets discredited a lot in spaces like ATRL where she’s viewed through the “pop girl” lens and compared to the top dance-pop girls of the moment, like Dua, when in truth there’s an entire other side to her as an artist at the forefront of dance and electronic music. There’s a reason albums like The Fame and Chromatica have dominated Billboard’s Dance/Electronic chart to the point where she’s by far the biggest artist in that chart’s history, while other major pop artists aren’t even classified as eligible to chart.

6 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Trying to deny Gaga’s status as a trend setting figure, perhaps more than ever with Chromatica, is an exercise in futility. Even beyond the house influences of the era preceding the latest wave of mainstream house with Drake and Beyoncé, and the thematic influence noted above, she also showcased more underground sounds like hyperpop on Dawn Of Chromatica in a way no other artist of her stature had yet done. I feel like she gets discredited a lot in spaces like ATRL where she’s viewed through the “pop girl” lens and compared to the top dance-pop girls of the moment, like Dua, when in truth there’s an entire other side to her as an artist at the forefront of dance and electronic music. There’s a reason albums like The Fame and Chromatica have dominated Billboard’s Dance/Electronic chart to the point where she’s by far the biggest artist in that chart’s history, while other major pop artists aren’t even classified as eligible to chart.

:clap3:So true, thank you

No woman in recent history has dominated the EDM genre in the way Gaga has for so long. She has been consistently the top female artist in the genre since she debuted so it really is her territory. It’s not surprising Beyoncé would draw inspiration from the top of the top for her dance oriented record. It’s smart, even.  

7 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

:clap3:

16 minutes ago, khalyan said:

Did CRJ do disco?  I know she's done dance pop extremely well, but I cannot think of any more disco inspired tracks (though I'm not a huge fan of hers so I definitely could be missing something)

She didn't follow The Weekend though, especially as both their projects were coming out at nearly the exact same time. :skull: 

Don't Start Now - October 31, 2019

Future Nostalgia - March 27, 2020

Blinding Lights - November 29, 2019

After Hours - March 20, 2020

But she clearly does what Carly was doing, especially with Dedicated? :skull: 

15 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Future Nostalgia sounds nothing like FOMOTION. Both have 80s influence yes but many Pop albums have that in common.

And Don't Start Now was literally released a whole MONTH before Abel even started his After Hours era and released Blinding Lights. They both started their eras around the same time and BOTH helped with this retro dance revival. 

For the love of god do some research before making fools out of yourselves. ?

Stop acting like FN is anything original, it's just generic pop music, she didn't trend anything, not sure why her fans/journalists try to push this narrative :rip: 

Gaga the blueprint I fear 

4 minutes ago, Squall said:

But she clearly does what Carly was doing, especially with Dedicated? :skull: 

Stop acting like FN is anything original, it's just generic pop music, she didn't trend anything, not sure why her fans/journalists try to push this narrative :rip: 

You have literally been pressed @ Dua for years. At this point it's like arguing with a wall. :skull: 

If you want to believe that FN is "generic pop music" (this drag from a Katy stan feels...weird but ok) or sounds exactly like what Carly Rae was doing, then do it babes!

Edited by State of Grace.

5 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

You have literally been pressed @ Dua for years. At this point it's like arguing with a wall. :skull: 

If you want to believe that FN is "generic pop music" (this drag from a Katy stan feels...weird but ok) or sounds exactly like what Carly Rae was doing, then do it babes!

Can you stop calling me a "Katy Perry stan" just to discredit what I say (also, that's a cringe thing to do) like you ******* know me? :rip: 

3 hours ago, XAMJ said:

none of these artists did anything for house. house has been happening.

Literally this lolol. I always cringe when outlets/fans give outsized “credit” to MAINSTREAM artists jacking a sound when a plethora of artists doing it/an entire culture devoted to it. Like have they been to crssd? Edc neon garden? The Coachella Yuma tent lol? 

Edited by Gov Hooka

Honestly, most of these songs have felt corny, wack and dry 

Praying that the rock trend takes further hold :monkey:

Gaga didn't revive anything :rip:

Dua Lipa is to be credited. She REALLY pushed that sound

52 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Points made! :clap3: 

Gaga maybe in 2010 :rip:

In the last two years I def think it’s Dua and The Weekend who revived dance! 

9 minutes ago, katara said:

Only Dua since she had major success with it

Chromatica:

tumblr_o4engvzZph1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Gaga? No. Dua Lipa? Absolutely. Everyone wants their Future Nostalgia era now :laugh: 

The OGH in the lastest post chile :ahh:

Even if Future Nostalgia was more successful both influenced the current dance momentum.

Yeah for the basics and those that don’t care about it’s history. Gaga and Dua make dance music purely just for the pop aesthetic. When an artist like Beyoncé experiments with house it’s in line with the actual culture and history. At a time when the gays, blacks, and woman were under attack house music was created as a form of escape.  This is exactly where Beyoncé is coming from; after a pandemic, womens rights under attack, gay/trans being attacked, etc Beyoncé releases a house track entitled “break my soul”. Totally in line with the history/art.

There’s levels to that type of genius Dua and Gaga don’t get and aren’t even thinking about. That’s why Bey is supreme. 

3 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

Literally this lolol. I always cringe when outlets/fans give outsized “credit” to MAINSTREAM artists jacking a sound when a plethora of artists doing it/an entire culture devoted to it. Like have they been to crssd? Edc neon garden? The Coachella Yuma tent lol? 

right?!? u can go anywhere in LA and find sold out house events every weekend and im sure this is true everywhere. but what can we except on ATRL

0c3fb943195a820a50c9c379c593d75d55c41e8b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.