Latin American people: "You're not a Latino if you don't speak Spanish"... thoughts?

DoubleRainbow!

Lately, there has been this movement on social media from people who live in LATAM dragging artists (and people in general) who claim to be latinos but were born in the US or other first world countries.

Artists like J.Lo, Becky G, Alexa Demie, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Xtina, Bella Thorne are getting dragged.

According to this people:

- If you don't speak Spanish, you can't consider yourself to be a Latino.

- If you weren't born in a LATAM country (even when you have Latin descent), you can't consider yourself to be a Latino.

THOUGHTS ON THIS???

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bliaz

• Summerboy95

• manwhore

• DoubleRainbow!

The only thing that bothers me is when they try to profit from being Latino while not speaking the language (spanish specifically) or showing little to no appreciation for our culture (outside of pr events and social media).

Does this phenomenon happen with lusophone artists as well?

:gaycat6:

they made some points. i’m black but i don’t refer to myself as african-american bc neither me nor my parents have any close familial ties to africa. 

and this may be problematic but i question the blackness of black americans who don’t understand aave 

Edited by fentypark

I mean they're Latinos by ethnicity... but I'm not Latino myself so this isn't my place. It's probably giving Lady Gaga saying she's Italian lol

Just now, venuss said:

The only thing that bothers me is when they try to profit from being Latino while not speaking the language (spanish specifically) or showing little to no appreciation for our culture (outside of pr events and social media).

This. Outside of celebrities, in the real world, it’s always the half-whites or the ones who grew up whitewashed with no connection to the culture other than “drinking tequila and liking hot cheetos xD” who do this too.

If they don't speak Spanish, they don't deserve to be called Latinos

Yes, f+ck those 2nd/3rd generation b+tches. :swan:

Edited by Blade Runner

I'm not Latino so Imma sit this one out but that "Why does everybody ask me if I'm Latina, isn't it obvious?" trend on TikTok is such a mess...the amount of white people :rip: 

You lose the latino status when:

-You have Latino roots but don't speak spanish (or portuguese)

-You live in a first world country s and start prioritizing first world country lifestyles/people/culture instead of defending your roots

-You start justifying first world economies and their neocolonialism just because you can buy iphones and drink Starbucks everyday.

:coffee2:

4 minutes ago, bliaz said:

:giraffe:

Also that video makes me feel so validated. I was trying to explain this to my white friends the other day how it seems like it’s trendy or something.

I legit have some white acquaintances who I know for a fact have no drop of Latin blood in them, but their insta bios and captions are all in Spanish, they’re buzzing their hair to try to get a Maluma look and are simping every time Maluma and Benito post something. It’s weird.

I'm so over this whole gatekeeping ****. I do side eye the people who ignore their culture though. People have their reasons, but it always serves internalized racism. 

You don’t need to speak Spanish or be born in a Latin American country to be considered Latino :rip: This kind of fake woke online gate keeping has no effect on the real world  :rip:

Even Nelly Furtado made more effort to immerse herself in the Latino culture and learn Spanish than those born to Latino parents

If you're of Latin descent you're Latino period :matty:

My parents taught me Spanish when I was young, but not everyone is so lucky and learning a language as an adult is v difficult/time-consuming :giraffe:

brazilians are literal latinos and we dont spanish, our official language is portuguese 

u no what i was gonna come in here saying no that's not true, but after seeing the OP, i agree. you are not latino if you don't speak spanish. 

Ricky Wilson

I’m not liking the racist undertones of the OP with the first world countries comment

5 minutes ago, bliaz said:

Even Nelly Furtado made more effort to immerse herself in the Latino culture and learn Spanish than those born to Latino parents

:deadbanana4:

5 minutes ago, Ricky Wilson said:

I’m not liking the racist undertones of the OP with the first world countries comment

That doesn't come from me.

It's people dragging people who live in the US / Europe who go like "how dare they to call themselves latinos when they don't suffer what we do in our countries". You can read that anywhere on TiKTok or twitter.

26 minutes ago, bliaz said:

So Brazilians aren't considered Latino.

• ATRL Moderator

No. A lot of Puerto Ricans in the mainland US don’t speak Spanish, but they’re still Latino. Even though someone might not speak the language you can’t just rid them of their identity 

aint it a european language they were forced to speak (much like being forced into catholicism?) :coffee2:

i wouldnt pay it much attention 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.