Drag Race Down Under | Season Four announced! | Michelle Visage takes over as host!

publikcitizen

No negativity allowed in this thread. The criticisms about the first season are old and redundant! The second season was a success and a fun season to watch!

The Aussie and Kiwi queens deserve a platform like this to showcase their artistry and talent. So let’s celebrate and support the show so the queens can be successful. 

Edited by publikcitizen
updating OP

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• publikcitizen

• genetic fail

• KFC

• mokitsu

13 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:
No negativity allowed in this thread. The criticisms about the first season are old and redundant! 

The Aussie and Kiwi queens deserve a platform like this to showcase their artistry and talent. So let’s celebrate and support the show so the queens can be successful. 

Period :clap3:

Can't wait!

We're about to be FED this summer, that's for sure :clap3: 

Very excited! I'm sure lessons have been learnt from S1 and we'll be entertained. 

52 minutes ago, Jamie321 said:

Very excited! I'm sure lessons have been learnt from S1 and we'll be entertained. 

Yes I think producers have learned major lessons. But honestly, one of the biggest problem S1 had was that everything was done at the last minute.

- For example, the show only happened because Rupaul had a few free weeks before filming DR UK so they ordered production on the show immediately which led to another problem. The pandemic restriction made it difficult to film in Australia so they switched to NZ as they were nearly COVID free and had lax covid production restriction as long as you quarantined for two weeks.

- That is when they decided to cast NZ queens as the cast was only going to be Aussie queens. The casting process was an issue as they did open casting call instead of the usual videotape auditions. They did open casting call because it was quicker and that's how they casted Scarlet without doing an extensive background check. 

- Another issue was that due to the last minute filming location switch to NZ, there weren't many studios available to be used for filming and had to settle on a small studio that we saw on the first season. 

So I believe S2 will have addressed most of these issues, especially with the casting process. 

• ATRL Moderator

This is going to be a reverse Canada's Drag Race S2 experience.  That season was airing the same time as UK3 and those queens felt overshadowed by that series.  I imagine with CDR S3 airing the same time as this, the Canadian girls will get the focus and these queens will be overshadowed unfortunately.

I'll still be watching, but it's just sad that WOW can't figure out scheduling

Hopefully it's not as bad as the first season.

1 hour ago, publikcitizen said:

Yes I think producers have learned major lessons. But honestly, one of the biggest problem S1 had was that everything was done at the last minute.

- For example, the show only happened because Rupaul had a few free weeks before filming DR UK so they ordered production on the show immediately which led to another problem. The pandemic restriction made it difficult to film in Australia so they switched to NZ as they were nearly COVID free and had lax covid production restriction as long as you quarantined for two weeks.

- That is when they decided to cast NZ queens as the cast was only going to be Aussie queens. The casting process was an issue as they did open casting call instead of the usual videotape auditions. They did open casting call because it was quicker and that's how they casted Scarlet without doing an extensive background check. 

- Another issue was that due to the last minute filming location switch to NZ, there weren't many studios available to be used for filming and had to settle on a small studio that we saw on the first season. 

So I believe S2 will have addressed most of these issues, especially with the casting process. 

I thought the casting people reached out to queens, there was no open casting.

--- 

They better get it right this time or it is a WRAP for the franchise, I fear trixcat.png

3 hours ago, khalyan said:

This is going to be a reverse Canada's Drag Race S2 experience.  That season was airing the same time as UK3 and those queens felt overshadowed by that series.  I imagine with CDR S3 airing the same time as this, the Canadian girls will get the focus and these queens will be overshadowed unfortunately.

I'll still be watching, but it's just sad that WOW can't figure out scheduling

I don't know about this, I think a portion of the audience prefers when Rupaul is the host and don't bother with the others. I honestly don't care about CDR S3, and I am very curious to see DUDR S2.

2 hours ago, P.O.P said:

I thought the casting people reached out to queens, there was no open casting.

--- 

They better get it right this time or it is a WRAP for the franchise, I fear trixcat.png

Oops maybe I used the wrong terminology. I thought open casting was where they reach out to queens and invite them. 

46 minutes ago, InventedGays said:

It's interesting because I doubt other shows with international franchises have to worry about this because their fan bases don't obsessively watch every season produced across the globe lol they really stay keeping everyone fed

Yeah drag race is the exception i think. the only other shows i can think of in the past were x-factor or the got talent franchise at least it was for me. i remember when i was younger i would be obsessed with the x factor international franchises. so i would watch x factor usa, uk, australia, new zealan, denmark, brazil, italy, 

Ivy League and Prada Clutch deserved to be cast. :doc:

Spoiler

Excited for Hannah Conda & Minnie Cooper though, Sydney legends! :heart:

Edited by FOCK

4 hours ago, FOCK said:

This is a spoiler. The cast hasn't been announced yet...

Edited by publikcitizen

3 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

Oops maybe I used the wrong terminology. I thought open casting was where they reach out to queens and invite them. 

Apparently the tea was that the casting directors reached out to all the main gay clubs across Australia (not sure about NZ), who then offered/put forward they’re biggest names. For some reason I’m New Zealand they only selected three queens from the same venue/school which is why they all knew each other. 

Also can confirm S2 was casted via standard video audition tapes so we should have a bit more of a diverse and exciting cast this time around.

Edited by CroNich

2 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

This is a spoiler. The cast hasn't been announced yet...

My apologies, I’ll pop it in a spoiler tag, though I’ll clarify I don’t know this for sure, I got the info from a rumoured cast video posted months ago. 

wasnt this the worst franchise in history?  UMMMM. ok flop 2? 

1 minute ago, manwhore said:

wasnt this the worst franchise in history?  UMMMM. ok flop 2? 

Did you not read my post? No negativity in this thread please.

3 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

omg lol sorry wishing them the best though yikes. 

:ahh:

7 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

you can say what you want, but.. we don't have to listen :skull: 

that season was a mess and we should discuss the ways they can fix it.

Just now, D e v o n said:

you can say what you want, but.. we don't have to listen :skull: 

that season was a mess and we should discuss the ways they can fix it.

replace Ru and Michelle

S1 was an entertaining mess, perched for S2 :clap3:

18 hours ago, publikcitizen said:
No negativity allowed in this thread. The criticisms about the first season are old and redundant! 

This!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.