Billie Eilish on infamous Vogue cover: "I tried too hard to be desirable"

britxbrit

LINK"I tried too hard to be desirable."

Billie Eilish thinks she "tried too hard to be desirable".

The 20-year-old singer showcased a radical change of image when she shed her baggy clothes and dyed her green hair blonde to pose on the cover of British Vogue magazine last summer in a pink silk corset but now she feels very detached from the pictures and was horrified by some of the backlash she received.

She reflected to Sunday Times magazine: “No matter what you do, it’s wrong and right.

"Wearing baggy clothes, nobody is attracted to me, I feel incredibly unlovable and unsexy and not beautiful, and people shame you for not being feminine enough.

"Then you wear something more revealing and they’re, like, you’re such a fat cow w*. I’m a s and I’m a sell-out and I’m just like every other celebrity selling their bodies, and woah! What the f*** do you want? It’s a crazy world for women and women in the public eye.

“Looking back at all of the promo and stuff we did before the album [in 2021], I’m, like, don’t know who that is, but that is not me! I didn’t have any time to think. I just decided who I was. I just became that vibe. And I don’t know if that was necessarily what I really was feeling. I was just grasping on to anything.

“I honestly don’t feel desired, ever. I do have this worry that I felt so undesirable that I may have occasionally tried too hard to be desirable. It makes me sad to think about.”

But the 'Ocean Eyes' singer now has a much more "solid" confidence in herself.

She said: "In the past couple of months I feel far more solid in who I am. I feel different now, like I’m desirable. I feel like I’m capable of being as feminine as I want to be and as masculine as I want."

And Billie views her body as her "ugly friend".

Asked how her relationship with her body is, she said: “Nowhere good. My relationship with my body has been a truly horrible, terrible thing since I was 11.

“I love that my body is mine and that it’s with me everywhere I go.

"I kind of think of my body as my friend. My ugly friend! It’s complicated. But what are you gonna do?”

Honestly, I had a feeling she would end up regretting this. Everytime a teenager comes of age, the industry pressures them to take their clothes off. It's sick. But I'm glad Billie is being honest about it.

Edited by britxbrit

At her age it must be so hard to be in the industry. The criticism is harsh and she’s barely even lived. Maybe she needs a break

''And Billie views her body as her "ugly friend".''

Same sis, same :gaycat6:

Shocker....

I knew this would happen the moment it was released.

I’m, like, don’t know who that is, but that is not me! I didn’t have any time to think. I just decided who I was. I just became that vibe. And I don’t know if that was necessarily what I really was feeling.

giphy.gif

Yeah, the criticism women face when they decide to own themselves is horrendous. Dress however you want, sis. 

I had a feeling she was going to regret it :rip:

to begin with i didn't know it was infamous at all, only have read great viral comments online back then. 

isn't this one of those situations where there's 100 positive comments and 1 negative comments ruin the artist day and perspection? or i just should be grateful about my digital bubble? :heart2: positivity :celestial2:

anyway, sad that she feels that wasn't her, but it was somewhat expected since that energy didn't last long on her. 

Edited by Selegend

She portrayed herself as the artists she stood against. That cover lost her many fans

7 minutes ago, hardbrit said:

She portrayed herself as the artists she stood against. That cover lost her many fans

She was never against people looking sexy...

The girl is growing up and trying different things. 

It must suck to grow in this industry though...that's for sure.

Just wish I could give her a hug right now. It's so difficult to deal with all this bullsh*t while being so young.

Edited by gustavothehuman

I think it's a beautiful photoshoot. There can be more to a "sexy" photoshoot than just the want to be desired by men. Sexuality can be a beautiful thing we used for artful purposes.

her comments are are so touching on her image  :clap3: shame ppl are only gonna react to the title :rip: 

I don’t give a **** what she looks like when the music’s always been good. People are too focused on the wrong ****.

i understand that feelings change but i’m so sick of artists doing this. you made the choice, own your ****. openly admitting to doing stuff that iSn’T yOu is literally admitting to selling out. believing in what you do and owning it is the difference between a legend (like madonna or gaga) and a fad. if you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything i fear :coffee2:

Everything she said is so relatable and it makes me want to comfort her. It's such a rough world on women in general, let alone a woman in the public eye, or with such a big spotlight on her. I hope she can find some peace soon, but it's gonna be so hard. I hope someone can tell her that whatever she does is okay! She doesn't have to conform to any standard she just has to do what makes her happy.

She didn't lie and she was dragged for that cover for being a sellout when she was never against being sexy, she just was insecure.

• ATRL Moderator

I feel for her, it makes me sad reading this. 

28 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

i understand that feelings change but i’m so sick of artists doing this. you made the choice, own your ****. openly admitting to doing stuff that iSn’T yOu is literally admitting to selling out. believing in what you do and owning it is the difference between a legend (like madonna or gaga) and a fad. if you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything i fear :coffee2:

The absolute irony considering Olivia has shed many choices she made with  whom she wrote SOUR about

The way she was treated in 2021 was horrific, I’m honestly relieved she didn’t sink back into a s**cidal state (as far as we’re aware)

35 minutes ago, sourtwink said:

The girl is 20. You act like you didn't make choices you ended up regretting during your teens early 20s :deadbanana2:.

The girl has been said she's insecure about her body. She tried something different once and she gets bullied and ya labeling her a sellout. Jesus log off and get some air being obesessed on a young celeb. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.