Is Drake ending the overexposure myth?

Tropez

Drake has had a musical release every year for about the past 10 years. Each time putting out hit after hit, nonstop. There isn’t a party, club, hits streaming playlist, radio, or store that isn’t playing his music at least once. He’s everywhere. Yet no one has said they’re tired of him. He still sells, and he still wins awards. Many artists have been accused of being overexposed like Rihanna, The Weeknd, Ariana, etc. but Drake has released more music than all of them. 

3 minutes ago, omni said:

We will see tomorrow

Even if his latest album "flops," there's still a valid argument to be made about OP's point. It is true that Drake has remained super active since 2009 and has always seen massive success since then. He's the very definition of overexposed and yet, he keeps being successful. 

Overexposure is such a ATRL term. Rihanna literally pulled a hit every from 2005 to 2018. Drake is doing amazing numbers even though he has released an album mixtape every year since 2008.

Taylor had her biggest hit in 2016/17 immediately after the 1989 era where she apparently got exposed.:gaycat6:

2 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Overexposure is such a ATRL term. Rihanna literally pulled a hit every from 2005 to 2018. Drake is doing amazing numbers even though he has released an album mixtape every year since 2008.

Taylor had her biggest hit in 2016/17 immediately after the 1989 era where she apparently got exposed.:gaycat6:

which hit is that?

1 minute ago, Badgalbriel said:

which hit is that?

IDWLF is her biggest hit in Spotify despite minimal promo

2 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

which hit is that?

IDWLF

If overexposed means keeping his fans fed with new music every year, then I wish some of our faves were overexposed :gaycat6:

Let’s wait until we see his first week numbers, shall we.

Just now, idkwiam said:

IDWLF is her biggest hit in Spotify despite minimal promo

Just now, Steve Johnson said:

IDWLF

Oh, on Spotify only. it's not her biggest hit at all. 

On Spotify, it's understandable why it's her song with the most streams.

Drake’s not going anywhere.

His recent output is trash but he has a solid fanbase + solid GP following that will stick around til the next drop.

Yes along with Taylor, Justin and Rihanna (2005-2012)

Drake works much harder than these lazy popstars who take 6 yr to release an album. 

He has dropped like 1-2 albums every year for the past 10 years and none of them is considered a classic like Eminem's The eminem show or Adele's 21. So No. 

Just now, Steve Johnson said:

Drake works much harder than these lazy popstars who take 6 yr to release an album. 

When was the last time he went on a giant stadium tour like TFWT or TRepWT ? Pop girls have to work 10 times much harder to gain the same respect and success. 

1 minute ago, Daydream said:

Let’s wait until we see his first week numbers, shall we.

Drake is a streaming staple  I’m sure if it does average it will still be one of the years biggest releases. 

26 minutes ago, Mohit said:

He has dropped like 1-2 albums every year for the past 10 years and none of them is considered a classic like Eminem's The eminem show or Adele's 21. So No. 

Take Care is her only classic me think

He’s not overexposed 

people need to get it through their heads charts don’t matter especially now with streaming. The gp doesn’t even look at them

and how is he overexposed if the last actual mainstream hit he had was the kiki challenge (?)

apart from some features, his hits have been pretty evenly spread out

best I ever had 08

find your love 09

what’s my name? 2010

the motto 2011

hold on we’re going home 2013

hotline bling 2015

work 2015

pasionfruit 2017

Kiki 2018

43 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

IDWLF is not Taylor biggest hit ?

He's not really overexposed though. He may release a lot of music but other than that, he's not plastered over every magazine, appearing on every TV show, on every red carpet, and everything else that comes with "exposure". 

Overexposure is a term coined by stans to excuse laziness of their faves. That being said, some women in music work much harder than Drake. 

1 hour ago, idkwiam said:

+ nowadays people have the attention span of a chicken nugget and will forget albums in less time 

I feel like overexposed is right term for artists who relying on GP for success and not enough fanbase to back them up

Drake already has a big fanbase that will tune in everytime he release new music. He will be fine

Overexposure has never been real, stans just like to use it to justify their faves' flops. If the GP likes what you're releasing they will listen, they don't care how many hits you had last year

Sorry but I can't name his last hit

I feel like In My Feeling is the last song I heard from him

his music is like McDonald

He needs to focus on making some well-crafted music because at this point he is very far behind artistically from other rappers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.