EXCELLENT soundtrack/original songs in Movies

Mrnoniee

La La Land is my favourite, City of Stars, Mia & Sebastian Theme, The Fools Who Dream.. such an incredible soundtrack. 

11 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

if it wasn't for the sountrack, I would've never gotten into Suspiria. The way the soundtracks SPEAKS to you:

how did it not get an Oscar not even a nom is beyond my understanding.

17 minutes ago, Freakshowvato said:

This + Taylor's  Safe & Sound + Ari's Almost is never enough + Lily Allen's F*** You + Julia Michaels' Heaven + Cynthia Erivo's Stand Up( :jonnycat:)

Sabrina's Cross Your Mind is great too but I dont support her anymore.

Missing You - Brandy,Chaka etc is also great but idk if it's original

Great choices OP! I love the soundtracks for It Follows, 10 Cloverfield Lane and Annihilation as well.

The Titanic soundtrack is definitely Horner's magnum opus. I think this specific track is the highlight considering how many individual themes set up through the film are woven through it to create an atmosphere of complete dread and homelessness. Interesting details include the appearance of the Jack & Rose theme when they return to the place where they first met. The most impactful part to me is the portion of the ship finally sinking down at 7:32, with the choir getting louder and louder, to give the impression of the doomed souls going down with the ship. A masterful soundtrack. I really miss James Horner.

While the Star Wars prequels receive a lot of hate, I actually think the soundtracks surpass the original trilogy. They contain some of the most iconic work that ever came from John Williams. Some like Duel of the Fates but to me the best one is the absolutely gorgeous Anakin & Padme romance theme. It perfectly tells their tragic story without saying a single word. Their love was so powerful that it brought down the entire galaxy. I adore how it gets more grand the further it goes but he strips down everything towards the end leaving only the harp to repeat the theme in a more melancholy way once more, a reminder how tragically their story ended.

Another film that received a lot of criticism but had a stellar soundtrack is definitely Tron: Legacy. While I love the movie there is no doubt that the soundtrack improves it by quite a lot (though that is true for a lot of films). My favorite from it is definitely Flynn Lives. There are many more electronic tracks on the score for this but I love this one because the orchestra kicks in so much, the sacrifice of Flynn for his son to be able to escape is a very emotional scene and this tracks accompanies it so well. The main Tron: Legacy theme going full orchestral is so nice to hear.

Hans Zimmer receives a lot of flack in recent years but if we are being real. You can't have a thread like this without him, he is such a staple composer of the last several decades and made some amazing pieces of music. I love a lot of his soundtracks but I want to highlight Dune, especially considering that he won his second Oscar for it (he was robbed several times).

The Dune soundtrack is very polarizing, especially the female vocal. My Road Leads into the Desert repeats several themes heard through the film. This scene is a key part of the Dune story and hearing the main theme at its most grand in the entire film is very important. As the movie ends as we see Paul unwillingly embracing his destiny. You get the sense of a larger more ominous future ahead but also the sheer scale of it.

The score for all three of these films is immaculate. It is probably hard to find a movie with such an expansive selection of themes and variations on them. It is almost impossible to choose a highlight considering just how strong the soundtrack is. To me it was between Evenstar and The Bridge of Khazad Dum and I just have to include both.

The Bridge of Khazad Dum is intense and showcases the grandeur and the horror of the mines of Moria, especially as the characters run from the Balrog. The best portion of the track is easily Gandalf's sacrifice for the Fellowship and his fall into the depths. The female vocal choir backing it up bringing the grief & sorrow levels to maximum, it sounds like it would be a part of the Elven lament for Gandalf the Fellowship later hears in Lothlórien.

Evenstar is probably my favorite scene in the entire trilogy. The morbid reality of Arwen outliving Aragorn and having to live through the ages without her love is so sad to witness. Her watching over his grave is a stunning and honestly kind of frightening image. One of my favorite shots in the movie as well. Even though she actually abandons her immortality for him and dies of a broken heart when he passes, her choice of choosing him instead of the Undying Lands despite seeing the this vision just shows how strong their love is. I believe this track translates that so well.

Sorry for the wall of text, I honestly have so many other favorites but that is it for now. I just love movie soundtracks and as an aspiring director a great soundtrack is a requirement for any film. Without it the entire work is much weaker, even though we don't even notice some scores at first. They are a perfect companion to the visual part of the work.

Edited by mystery

11 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

if it wasn't for the sountrack, I would've never gotten into Suspiria. The way the soundtracks SPEAKS to you:

The whole soundtrack/ score is incredible :jonny4: I can't believe you left out Volk

16 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

and these too:

This one is a serve, I love "Table for Two" too, the final scene plus this song always hits me hard:jonny5:

Nocturnal Animals and Arrival are two of the best films of 2016, Amy  really DID IT that year. Somehow she is hated here, but it's ATRL so it really doesn't matter lol

5 minutes ago, Cefh said:

This one is a serve, I love "Table for Two" too, the final scene plus this song always hits me hard:jonny5:

Nocturnal Animals and Arrival are two of the best films of 2016, Amy  really DID IT that year. Somehow she is hated here, but it's ATRL so it really doesn't matter lol

they way she served back-to-back PUNCHES and left the Academy with a black eye.

honestly the two movies are PHENOMENAL and I'm not able to choose the best of them

both are gut wrenching and absolute TREAT.

43 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

29 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

How did neither of you post Unmade? :jonnycat:

Or Suspirium Finale :WAP:

1 hour ago, Mrnoniee said:

A masterpiece omg

3 minutes ago, Archetype said:

How did neither of you post Unmade? :jonnycat:

Omg I flopped! The endless excellency of this soundtrack is tew much

i2MpiW5.gif

5 minutes ago, Mrnoniee said:

they way she served back-to-back PUNCHES and left the Academy with a black eye.

honestly the two movies are PHENOMENAL and I'm not able to choose the best of them

both are gut wrenching and absolute TREAT.

THIS 

Honestly I can't remember any movie that left me thinking about it for DAYS like both Arrival and Nocturnal Animals

But I feel like Nocturnal Animals affected me more... those dialogues and the very subtle details, the way that every single scene has some deep meaning with no try-hard thing like we see with most of these films nowadays... I mean, it's really a masterpiece :worship:

Back to the topic, I have to mention this:

I know it's not an original song, but damn, it fit the movie so well, they did a really good job putting it on the first/last scene, matching the idea of the movie... It's so beautiful :cries: I've already watched it like 12 times and I can't ever get enough of it lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.