Amy Winehouse biopic moving ahead, casting underway

Miichael

1200.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

Amy Winehouse will be the the subject of a new biopic, which has the approval of the late singer’s parents. 

British casting director Nina Gold is currently searching for an actress to star as the legendary musician, with the casting process being overseen by Janis and Mitch Winehouse who are heavily involved in the project.

They have also given the filmmakers permission to use Amy’s music in the production. 

A source told the Daily Mail newspaper: ‘Nina’s been searching in theatre schools and drama groups, looking for someone around 20 years old who will be made into a star.’

The Grammy-winning singer and songwriter ascended to superstardom with hits such as Rehab and Back to Black, with the 2006 album becoming one of the best-selling albums in UK history. Amy’s addiction issues were also highly-publicised and she tragically died in 2011 aged just 27 from alcohol poisoning.

Mitch and Janis were said to be upset with Asif Kapadia’s 2015 documentary Amy, and last year they released their own BBC2 documentary Reclaiming Amy, which marked the 10th anniversary of her death.

Amy’s life and legacy was depicted through the lens of her family and closet friends, including her mum Janis who hadn’t spoken in depth publicly about her daughter’s death. 

Meanwhile, casting director Nina is known for discovering young and exciting talent, having found Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner for Game of Thrones and cast Daisy Ridley in the Star Wars franchise.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/10/amy-winehouse-biopic-is-in-the-works-with-search-on-to-find-actress-16806966/

I'm glad to hear they are going with an unknown actress for the role :clap3:It would be too jarring to have a recognisable star playing Amy, and I don't really think any stars could do her justice.

5 minutes ago, Miichael said:

1200.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

I'm glad to hear they are going with an unknown actress for the role :clap3:It would be too jarring to have a recognisable star playing Amy, and I don't really think any stars could do her justice.

I think Gaga could’ve done her justice but she’s too old now 

Just now, Protocol said:

Gaga? old? I swear you are ALWAYS saying out-of-pocket **** in every thread. Like, its your brand or something. Stop being so bitter. Gaga is not old.

-

I wouldn't mind seeing a AW movie tbh

1 minute ago, Protocol said:

I love Gaga but I don't think she would be right for the part of Amy. Like you said she is too old now, and I think it's likely that the actress of choice will be both British and Jewish.

Just now, SmittenCake said:

Gaga? old? I swear you are ALWAYS saying out-of-pocket **** in every thread. Like, its your brand or something. Stop being so bitter. Gaga is not old.

-

Girl, nobody is saying Gaga is old but Amy died at at the age of 27. Gaga is 36 now. And the movie will begin with Amy's beginnings in the industry when she was a teenager.

Cast Lauren Jauregui :giraffe:

6 minutes ago, SmittenCake said:

-

Shes too old to play amy from 18-27. Difference between “old” and “too old for the part”

6 minutes ago, Miichael said:

I love Gaga but I don't think she would be right for the part of Amy. Like you said she is too old now, and I think it's likely that the actress of choice will be both British and Jewish.

Girl, nobody is saying Gaga is old but Amy died at at the age of 27. Gaga is 36 now. And the movie will begin with Amy's beginnings in the industry when she was a teenager.

aging rarely mattered in Hollywood. Just last year, J Hud played Aretha from young age and so did Chastain played Tammy Faye from very young age. 

I really wanted Gaga to play Amy, but I guess two back to back roles like Amy and Harley would be too much 

Edited by zoldyck

Gaga would fit the part but the heavy British accent can be a problem. But she would look very convincing as Amy. 

Same as Kali Uchis.

Also, that rat Mitch Winehouse doesn want Gaga I think

13 minutes ago, JonginBey said:

Cast Lauren Jauregui :giraffe:

This. She'd KILL it

yall saying gaga but im glad they're going with an unknown actress, i do not see Gaga playing Amy well.

I stan Gaga but I think the role should go to someone young, British, and Jewish. Gaga has the looks for it obviously but I don't think she would be able to do a role this sensitive in a tasteful way. Gaga admires Amy a lot and I think starring in a movie that is made by the very people who did nothing to save their daughter while she was living would not be it. 

I can't believe the Amy biopic conversation always turns into a Gaga thread :rip: Her family has already stated that they want an unknown actress who has as much similarities to Amy as possible.

Gaga gives strong Amy vibes but that would have worked like a decade ago. None of the famous names people keep mentioning are happening. Amy's dad literally said this:

"The casting will be – and I get to choose, with recommendations from the producer – a star-maker. We’re gonna get an unknown actress, ideally a Jewish girl from north or east London who looks a bit like Amy and talks like Amy.”

This has potential to be REALLY good.

Of course ATRL would say GAGA. :rip:

OT: great decision to go with a unknown actress :clap3:

The obvious choice

3 minutes ago, Miichael said:

Video unavailable, who is it?

Lauren Jauregui was on Lip Sync Battle and she dressed as Amy Winehouse

1 hour ago, Harmonizer said:

The obvious choice

She’s not an actress and how is she going to pull off a thick British accent? This is delusional lol

I think GaGa would be great and Tom Hanks as Amy's Father. 

14 minutes ago, Protocol said:

She’s not an actress and how is she going to pull off a thick British accent? This is delusional lol

... I was kidding

A huge star like Gaga playing Amy just wouldn't feel right, what's up with yall? lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.