Is getting married and/or having kids a dated concept?

bocelli

I feel like with every day the number of people who get married and want to have kids is becoming less which I endorse cause this planet is already overpopulated.

Life as a single is so much better anyway :-* You dont have to share your earnings, you get to do whatever you want in your free time and you can f*ck with whoever you want :-*

Thoughts?

No. I will find myself a husband who will take care of my home and kids while I make six figures as a MD

Not at all, all of my friends are in that phase of finding a partner and planning their future and children with them.

Me and my bf have already planned our wedding. Just for cosmetic reasons tho (and bc I want a huge party celebrating our luv), and we will have children once we’re 30. 

Edited by PopKills

I don't think so. 

Most people now just want to have more fun BEFORE it. Like i'm 25 and i only imagine myself living with a Boyfriend when i'm like 30 or smth... but that doesn't mean i don't want a serious relantionship and kids, i do! just later in my life. 

i kinda feel like i'll have another failed relationship before and that's honestly ok for me. it's the good side of the experience that counts. 

i will move out my parents house this year and i want to live sometime single/alone, for example 

Edited by Selegend

16 minutes ago, bocelli said:

I feel like with every day the number of people who get married and want to have kids is becoming less which I endorse cause this planet is already overpopulated.

Life as a single is so much better anyway :-* You dont have to share your earnings, you get to do whatever you want in your free time and you can f*ck with whoever you want :-*

Thoughts?

All of this seems good on paper but the moment reality hits u is when u hit 40 and fall in your bathroom and no one is there to take u to the hospital so u just die a slow painful death

Married, yes (even though I want to get married.) kids, no and shouldn’t be outdated. They’re important

The concepts are outdated but it’s not wrong to want a marriage and kids.  The toughest part I cannot grapple with is “settling down”.  I never want to do that.  If anything, my partner and children will travel with me.  

Having kids is not a concept it's a human instinct. We can talk about what marriage as an institution means in Western societies, but e.g. in my country people want more alternatives that are equally beneficial as marriage, but having a family (biological or chosen) that takes care of its members won't ever be outdated. It's how we function as humans.

:skull: 

Neither are outdated. Marriage is an evolving concept, the definition of which had never been standard across the world. As you get older, the more of a red flag these views become. 

Taxes for single people are way higher. So better believe I am getting married. The tax benefits for having a spouse and children makes things so much easier. 

When are we going to stop saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff? Because you made zero points

This mindset it so weird to me. Yes marriage and having kids as the expected, standard way of living that everyone has to adhere to is becoming outdated (although only in certain circles mainly in the West)

But why does it have to be a 'battle' between single life vs non-single life, it's literally just about what you prefer :skull: Not the entire world population has to do one or the other to be living 'better' lives for themselves

27 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Having kids is not a concept it's a human instinct. We can talk about what marriage as an institution means in Western societies, but e.g. in my country people want more alternatives that are equally beneficial as marriage, but having a family (biological or chosen) that takes care of its members won't ever be outdated. It's how we function as humans.

Also this, 'family' as a concept will for sure change in the next 100 years, but community and support is literally what keeps humans alive, we could never live without it

No, evolution actually happened to make people reproduce as successfully as possible. The fact that no one wants kids doesn't mean it's dated, just that it's become too hard to do it with the current culture and economy.

1 hour ago, Mohit said:

All of this seems good on paper but the moment reality hits u is when u hit 40 and fall in your bathroom and no one is there to take u to the hospital so u just die a slow painful death

Why are you talking about 40 like it's 80? :toofunny2:

OT:

The world isn't overpopulated and I wish people would stop spreading that myth.

Secondly, people have less kids now because children are costly these days and unlike 500 years ago, these children are going to be living into adulthood.

The only reason people had so many kids back then was because there was no contraception and most of those kids died before the age of 5 anyway.

No

But what’s really dated is the idea being the norm. Is normal now not to go on that path.

I do think that people who have kids only for them to take care when their in their 60s or 70s are evil and selfish.

I don't want kids. Maybe I'll get married someday.

20 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

Idk water is running out in some places of the world, even as close as Mexico. So natural resources are definitely running out.

It would be ideal to decrease the amount of people born, to the point were population just stays in a stable number.

26 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

Why are you talking about 40 like it's 80? :toofunny2:

OT:

Secondly, people have less kids now because children are costly these days and unlike 500 years ago, these children are going to be living into adulthood.

The only reason people had so many kids back then was because there was no contraception and most of those kids died before the age of 5 anyway.

The delusion??? Help

14 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Idk water is running out in some places of the world, even as close as Mexico. So natural resources are definitely running out.

It would be ideal to decrease the amount of people born, to the point were population just stays in a stable number.

10 minutes ago, bocelli said:

The delusion??? Help

But it's factual, the world is not overpopulated, our issue is the distribution of resources. Resources aren't distributed equally which causes issues.

But our planet has a threshold population around 11-12B, we're still nowhere near there.

Overpopulation is a myth and there are no factual statistics to back it up. In fact, the entirety of the worlds population could live comfortably in JUST the Americas. Another fact.

Lastly, population growth is only temporary, as third world nations develop, population would become more stagnant and eventually hit a sort of equilibrium.

Edited by Planet Mars

No, both monogamy and having children is ingrained into human biology for the most part. 

9 hours ago, bocelli said:

Thoughts?

Yea you should stay single with that mindset. 

NGL it is kinda annoying how people have kids just to have kids or call it an accomplishment which it is not. A lot of people are unfit parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.