Rebel Wilson forced to come out by newspaper

mystery

Total shame. I can't believe this is still a thing, but also somehow not surprised. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• rac7d

• The7thStranger

• Lovett

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so disappointing. How is this a thing in 2022? The paper having the audacity to be angry that Rebel took matters into her own hands by outing herself on Instagram after being told she had two days to respond before they outed her to the whole world. Disgusting 

Sickening.

The fumes coming off of that article :deadbanana:

5 hours ago, Phoenixstar said:

Disgusting, why would they “pressurising” her to come out in 2022? ******* idiots! 

They didn’t want to pressure her to come instead they wanted to out her and get a big story and get the clicks

whoever wrote this should be fired.

like the article says in 2022 love is love and it doesn’t matter and yet they wanted to out her for clicks? And now they’re implying she’s as shamed of it by not coming out sooner???

im no Karen but I’ll be writing a complain to the company.

Get them fired

• ATRL Moderator

This is absolutely disgusting....and what the hell at that article they posted "exposing" her?  Why do they think it's okay to out someone?

This trashy homophobic tabloid business should be boycotted and shut down. Vile pigs!

I find it very funny that people are outraged that they'd force her to come out and at the same time y'all go around and say that celebs owe you their sexuality if they choose not to say it.

Which one is it?

I know what side I'm on... people's personal lives are their own and nobody owes us their personal information. Period. No excuses and no tangents and no conditions.

Pricks, I hope she sues them for everything that they’re worth! :biblio:

this is legit TERRIBLE and cruel. For a lot of ppl there is A LOT of shame or fear STILL associated with coming out. Yes even for women (I know society makes it seem like being a lesbian or w/e is easier but for a lot of queer women it is still super scary). Shame on ANYONE or any entity / news source that outs ppl. They can literally lead to someone committing suicide or something...not everone is prepared mentally or strong enough to come out...how do they know she was? Shame on them.

10 hours ago, yonsé said:

Lmao what is this straw-man fallacy.

ATRL is not a publication or the media. Speculation from people on a members only forum is not the same thing as powerful media publications OUTING you to the public.

pls read a book

:clap3: what an utterly stupid comment from the original. We have no influence in the media :deadbanana2:

I am actually  surprised she is a lesbian :eek: but it’s not right that she was basically forced to come out. The writer and  magazine ain’t ****! The writer is a gay man too which makes this even more ****** up 

This is disgraceful, and this is one of the better news outlets in Australia…

Good on her for taking control but it sucks for your queer relationship to need to be made public on other people’s terms. 

the fact they didnt even try to hide they blackmailed her :skull: 

5 hours ago, Raver said:

I am actually  surprised she is a lesbian :eek:

She hasn't stated she's a lesbian.

17 hours ago, Saintlor said:

ATRL will say this is terrible but you’re all just as bad constantly speculating online if people are gay or not

I wish this would stop also, let people share that in their own time

it's sickening that paper did this  thumb_down.gif

18 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

I can’t believe.. they would not only do this but then to also publish it :rip: the whole article reads like a temper tantrum

Literally my first though too. They really thought they ate :skull:

18 hours ago, mystery said:

In a perfect world, “outing” same-sex celebrity relationships should be a redundant concept in 2022. Love is love, right 

As Rebel Wilson knows, we do not live in a perfect world.

YIKES :biblionny:

The response from the editor is repugnant. Both he and the writer should honestly be fired over this. Outing somebody on an international platform should simply not be tolerated.

20 hours ago, mystery said:

UPDATE:

After receiving backlash for their first article, they have posted a response article that you can read here: "A note on Rebel Wilson"

Our weekly Private Sydney celebrity column last week asked Wilson if she wished to comment about her new partner. We would have asked the same questions had Wilson’s new partner been a man.

To say that the Herald ‘outed’ Wilson is wrong.

Like other mastheads do every day, we simply asked questions and as standard practice included a deadline for a response. I had made no decision about whether or what to publish, and the Herald’s decision about what to do would have been informed by any response Wilson supplied.

Wilson made the decision to publicly disclose her new partner - who had been a feature of her social media accounts for months.

They issued another response, this time to the backlash. Them doubling down is extremely shameful, especially the last part about them saying she made the decision herself when it was them who pressured her to do it with the time limit. 

rebel-0370.png?quality=90&strip=all&zoom

16 hours ago, FOCK said:

Australian journalism is absolute trash. I’m not surprised in the least. 

11 hours ago, Slap said:

This is disgraceful, and this is one of the better news outlets in Australia…

7 hours ago, The7thStranger said:

The response from the editor is repugnant. Both he and the writer should honestly be fired over this. Outing somebody on an international platform should simply not be tolerated.

So Wiki says The Sydney Morning Herald is literally the newspaper of record in Australia?

That'd be the equivalent of like...The New York Times Lifestyle section formally outing Queen Latifah for an official long-term girlfriend, no? :deadbanana4: That seems unfathomable to me. 

I realize Rupert Murdoch bought Sky and the country seems to have gotten more conservative as an outsider, and, devil's advocate, they'd defend journalistic scoops over morality, like The Daily Beast initially did with their Rio Olympics story on gay apps in the Olympic Village in 2016 before taking it down, then say something like she was privileged as their second reason, but this still is wildly unethical and heartless. 

This is Daily Mail fodder (even not that outlet anymore as they're much more libel averse than they used to be) and even then makes no sense. She's not some closeted politician. I realize she just wants to move on with her life but I'm so pissed for her a part of me still wishes she'd take legal action - then action, she'd probably have little recourse. 

On 6/11/2022 at 8:14 AM, Bimbo said:

This is so dumb and you swore you ate

Always seems to be the case with that member :dies:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.