J.Lo & Shakira discuss Super Bowl Halftime Show preparations in Netflix Halftime doc

insomniac

So Shakira was not against the political message, but rather, she didn't want to pretend that she was Born in the USA. 

I think Shakira is pretty bold in her stance with her origins by always speaking spanish first. She often thanks her crowd in spanish rather than in English, and that in itself, is a statement. 

I appreciate the fact that JLo wanted to illustrate the importance of human rights, of course but to paint Shakira as someone who has not been extremely vocal about world issues, especially human rights, would be a complete and utter lie. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insomniac

• SavagePapi

• Yudelkis

• Rican

21 minutes ago, SavagePapi said:

I actually think both of them are correct in feeling how they felt.

I think Shakira maybe took it a little out of context. J.Lo said before the show that the mesaage she wanted to showcase was that Latinos were here and we weren't going anywhere. I guess that's where they differ. J.Lo wanted to make a political statement given the way Trump was treating POC during his reign. Seems like Shakira wanted no parts, or maybe Jay-Z wouldn't allow her.

I think it was more about Shakira not wanting to put herself at the center of the statement, since she doesn't live in America and isn't affected by Trump's policies in the same way that J.Lo is. Seems like she was perfectly fine with supporting J.Lo's statement (by playing the drums in the background), but maybe felt it was out of place to be singing Born in the USA when she wasn't born nor live there. Hopefully the movie will offer more context.

Edited by ATWK

2 minutes ago, ATWK said:

I think it was more about Shakira not wanting to put herself at the center of the statement, since she doesn't live in America and isn't affected by Trump's policies in the same way that J.Lo is. Seems like she was perfectly fine with supporting J.Lo's statement (by playing the drums in the background), but maybe felt it was out of place to be singing Born in the USA when she wasn't born nor live there. Hopefully the movie will offer more context.

Didn't she lived in Miami for years ?

Thought she live in Barcelona only because of her Footballer husband. But she will comeback to live in Miami since they are not together.

Rihanna is Barbadian but she sings that and she live in the USA since almost 2 decades. 

Just now, ATWK said:

I think it was more about Shakira not wanting to put herself at the center of the statement, since she doesn't live in America and isn't affected by Trump's policies in the same way that J.Lo is. Seems like she was perfectly fine with supporting J.Lo's statement (by playing the drums in the background), but maybe felt it was out of place to be singing Born in the USA when she wasn't born nor live there.

This I can agree with.

I didn't feel that support seeing Shakira on the sidelines though. Atleast, for me anyway. But the way you explain it, I understand where Shakira was probably coming from.

Nevertheless, I don't think either of them were wrong. It was a success nonetheless. I can't wait to see this doc in full. it'll be cool to see how two huge, strong, mega Latinas managed to make this work, and come together despite their differences and conflicts. All love. :heart2:

YAS JLo at standing up for the LATIN COMMUNITY! THANK YOU JENNIFER LOPEZ!

42 minutes ago, P.O.P said:

They used to have dozens of stars at the Superbowl in the early 2000's, right?

The message was clear: celebrating Latin culture in Miami. Not celebrating J.lo's career.

And that's what she did, through the political statement that was made, and having Latinx dancers on stage, J.Balvin join her etc.

24 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

I appreciate the fact that JLo wanted to illustrate the importance of human rights, of course but to paint Shakira as someone who has not been extremely vocal about world issues, especially human rights, would be a complete and utter lie. 

That's not the intent, I personally believe.

22 minutes ago, ATWK said:

Yeah that sounds logical. I'm curious to hear their conversations in the documentary. It'll be interesting.

I truly like Jlo, but girl needs to stop setting herself up. This is just gonna backfire on her. Although, I'm gonna wait until I see the final product. I'm sure Shakira approved her parts in the Documentary, so I'm sure she won't look bad.

44 minutes ago, SavagePapi said:

Right. And how many were Latino? I think we only had Gloria Estefan.

These women deserved their own show. J.Lo was not wrong in saying that if they were going to put two huge megastars together (WOC at that) then it should've been much longer. These women both have major hits that were reduced to a 6 min set for both of them. Kind of disrespectful if you ask me.

Granted, the show was still well done, that choice is still debatable. J.Lo is not wrong in expressing that. She was speaking for both of them btw not just herself.

Not many but doesn't change the point. The only reason there's this diversity lately is because Jay-Z is organizing it. He can bring in change for a short while but slowly. He can not sell two veterans pop stars who are passed their commercial peaks in the US that easily. Having two huge latin acts was a brilliant statement and an easy sell to people who used to only allow Rock acts there years after years or lately very hot artists. 

If it was such an inconvenience, she should have opted not to do it and wait for them to propose her a slot alone... Which tbh would have not happened under anyone other militing to push a diversity agenda. To think the times of the break should have been changed (so changing traditions) or feelings insulting when music legends/icons like Aerosmith or Dr Dre also shared their spot is a bit weird. 

But it might come across differently in the doc. 

Edited by BnPac

Btw, anyone saying that JLO told Shakira:

Shakira: "I don't want to perform Born in the U.S.A. I wasn't born in the U.S.A.
J.Lo: "Well, you come here and you perform here, right?"

Is wrong – She made that comment to Benny I think after she hung up the phone and it was not defamatory it was more explaining from the point she is coming from. Don’t engage in the negative media narrative.

Yall are reading texts and not seeing or hearing how they actually discussed it.

Jlo had every right to make a political statement. Shakira didnt end up singing that part and thats fine. But that part touched alot of hearts

As for the political part, it was a good idea to add it. I think Shakira just meant that she's not comfortable singing it as she doesn't relate to it. 

8 minutes ago, DRPapi809 said:

Shakira: "I don't want to perform Born in the U.S.A. I wasn't born in the U.S.A.

Is wrong – She made that comment to Benny I think after she hung up the phone and it was not defamatory it was more explaining from the point she is coming from. Don’t engage in the negative media narrative.

Did you saw the documentary yesterday at Tribeca Festival ? 

I agree with the feeling that having Shakira and JLo headline together was a bit of "oh, they're both Latinas, it works," given that they're two very different types of artists. In the end, they're both amazing performers and they made it work and were able to create chemistry.

To the people who want to criticize Shakira for that quote... She's absolutely right. This is the woman whose biggest hit features the Carnaval de Barranquilla in the video, who has another hit talking about biking in Colombia, and who reps Colombia at every step of her career AND STILL gets hate from half of her home country for "forgetting about Colombia." Imagine the EVISCERATION she'd get if she came out singing "Born In The USA." Use your brains.

10 minutes ago, DRPapi809 said:

Did you see the movie? Do we get to see Shakira and J.Lo together?

Did Arod get the cut?

Iconic.

3 minutes ago, BnPac said:

Not many but doesn't change the point. The only reason there's this diversity lately is because Jay-Z is organizing it. He can bring in change for a short while but slowly. He can not sell two veterans pop stars who are passed their commercial peaks in the US that easily. Having two huge latin acts was a brilliant statement and an easy sell to people who used to only allow Rock acts there years after years or lately very hot artists. 

If it was such an inconvenience, she should have opted not to do it and wait for them to propose her a slot alone... Which tbh would have not happened under anyone other militing to push a diversity agenda. To think the times of the break should have been changed (so changing traditions) or feelings insulting when music legends/icons like Aerosmith or Dr Dre also shared their spot is a bit weird. 

But it might come across differently in the doc. 

I respect your comment. 

But they did reach out to her for a few years prior. There were articles mentioning it, and then she admitted that herself after the Super Bowl. According to many who also saw the doc, it is pretty evident that she was their first choice, and then they later included Shakira. I believe Shakira herself stated this when she said she got a call from Jay-Z to do the Halftime show with J.Lo. So everything kind of changed due to Jay-Z's involvement. I guess that part is what bothered her? Maybe she felt like a little robbed and felt if there was any way to make it longer. Idk. But I don't think she was upset with Shakira, more so the NFL.

A fan confirmed that the "Born In The U.S.A." was also not a conversation they had together. The media is spinning that narrative. And I do see what you mean about pushing for more diversity. I can agree with that as well. I guess I'm still a little bummed out that she didn't it alone lol, and Shakira of course, respectfully. Nevertheless, the show still came out brilliantly.

4 minutes ago, insomniac said:

Did you see the movie? Do we get to see Shakira and J.Lo together?

Did Arod get the cut?

Yes I was there last night and saw it. They do share moments together. JLO calls Shakira baby and there is really no animosity or even the slightest sense of hate coming from none of them towards each other. JLO simply implies that it is a stupid decision to put them both together with the same amount of time given to a single headliner when they are both equally deserving of their own show. Nothing is directed towards Shakira. 

3 minutes ago, Yudelkis said:

@DRPapi809 Did you saw Jay-Z in the documentary yesterday ?

EQqL1NrWAAAXSjJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Yes they showed him when Benny was going OFF Lmao!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, DRPapi809 said:

Yes I was there last night and saw it. They do share moments together. JLO calls Shakira baby and there is really no animosity or even the slightest sense of hate coming from none of them towards each other. JLO simply implies that it is a stupid decision to put them both together with the same amount of time given to a single headliner when they are both equally deserving of their own show. Nothing is directed towards Shakira. 

Great! Was it good? Can't wait to see!

2 minutes ago, DRPapi809 said:

Yes they showed him when Benny was going OFF Lmao!

giphy.gif

:sistrens:

OMG Can't wait to see the drama.

@SavagePapi Bring back that telegram convo for the release day lol. 

Born in the USA was a beautiful moment. :heart: I agree with Shakira's statement, though, because it would be very weird to sing about being "Born in the USA" when everyone knows she is from Colombia and she would face immediate backlash from people thinking she's pretending to be American. It's as if Adele performed "Born in the USA" -- it doesn't make sense. :gaycat6: There's a difference between performing in America and singing a song where you claim to be born in the US. :rip:

She wasn't opposed to the song and she supported JLO in a way that let her and her daughter shine. :heart:

15 minutes ago, SavagePapi said:

But they did reach out to her for a few years prior. There were articles mentioning it, and then she admitted that herself after the Super Bowl. According to many who also saw the doc, it is pretty evident that she was their first choice, and then they later included Shakira. I believe Shakira herself stated this when she said she got a call from Jay-Z to do the Halftime show with J.Lo. So everything kind of changed due to Jay-Z's involvement. I guess that part is what bothered her? Maybe she felt like a little robbed and felt if there was any way to make it longer. Idk. But I don't think she was upset with Shakira, more so the NFL.

OK then, I stand corrected. Nice to know. 

Shakira is a much better artist and performer so it makes sense she would be upset. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.