Ricky Martin and others Honor Christina Aguilera as an LGBTQ+ Ally

WalkAway

https://people.com/music/ricky-martin-honors-christina-aguilera-as-lgbtq-ally-she-uses-her-voice-for-us/

Ricky Martin, Angelica Ross, Lauren Jauregui, Fletcher and VINCINT are among the artists to speak about Christina Aguilera's impact as an LGBTQ+ ally in this week's issue of PEOPLE

People-Mag_Christina-Aguilera_02.jpg

Ricki Martin:

"Christina is a force! Her voice has become synonymous with greatness and the most commendable thing is that [after] becoming one of the most successful female artists of all time, she uses her voice as a constant ally to the LGBTQ+ community," says Ricky Martin, who released the duet "Nobody Wants to Be Lonely" with Aguilera in 2001. "She is an amazing mother, a businesswoman, and a proud Latina." 

Lauren Jauregui

"Her video for 'Beautiful' was an amazing statement," says singer and former Fifth Harmony member Lauren Jauregui, who adds that "Fighter" and "Can't Hold Us Down" — songs also on Aguilera's 2002 album Stripped — "played a huge role in shaping my self-confidence as a little girl."

Angelica Ross

For Pose star and singer Angelica Ross, the Stripped song that resonated most with her was "The Voice Within."

"I sang along and cried to [it] so many times as a young trans girl who wasn't the confident woman I am today," Ross says. "I truly had to find my voice and took every single lyric of that song to heart. I have honestly been in tears every morning so grateful as I sing and affirm that I have indeed found my voice. I'm forever grateful for Christina."

VINCINT

"I love that Christina has never shied away from being there for our community," says singer VINCINT. "She has been a part of multiple campaigns for AIDS research and the imagery in her music videos have promoted LGBTQ+ love. Since the beginning of her career, she has lived proudly as an ally through her art."

Fletcher

"Christina Aguilera is one of the greatest voices of our time. Just as powerful is how she's loudly used that voice to uplift the LGBTQ+ community throughout her career."

Great to see that being honored. Nice photoshoot as well.

This should have been at a award show not some random magazine:rip:

She did that 20 years ago, too ahead of its time for certain people.

11 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

A least she's being honored for something :michael:

I think she also received a GLAAD award in the past? I thought this honouring was also coming from GLAAD but it's good nonetheless, there aren't enough allies so each and everyone should be celebrated and use their voice for the greater good.

Let me give "Nobody Wants To Be Lonely" a stream :clap3:

Everybody stanning singles from Stripped but no love for "Soar"? That song is also powerful!

It makes me SO HAPPY to see people / celebs giving her the recognition she deserves for being an ally for more than two decades! 

1 hour ago, James_Dean said:

Why do you have to be so negative? You must be fun at parties 

1 hour ago, Power love said:

This should have been at a award show not some random magazine:rip:

People magazine isn’t random…

She looks so good, I love how she's always been an ally.

2 hours ago, James_Dean said:

gurl... she is constantly being honoured for everything ! GTFO

49 minutes ago, J Legend X said:

gurl... she is constantly being honoured for everything ! GTFO

k lol

R3C2X0m.gif

2 hours ago, NausAllien said:

It makes me SO HAPPY to see people / celebs giving her the recognition she deserves for being an ally for more than two decades! 

ikr? :sosad::heart2:

she truly deserves it. she was also honored by Human rights campaign a few years back

Dirrty, Beautiful and Fighter 

A triple threat me thinks 

Legend keeps on WINNING :clap3: 

Nobody Wants To Be Lonely live performance with Ricky, when?? 

20 hours ago, WalkAway said:

https://people.com/music/ricky-martin-honors-christina-aguilera-as-lgbtq-ally-she-uses-her-voice-for-us/

People-Mag_Christina-Aguilera_02.jpg

Ricki Martin:

Lauren Jauregui

Angelica Ross

VINCINT

Fletcher

wow Angelica Ross quote is a tear-jerker!

giphy.gif

we love a passionate talented music legend and lgbtq ally!

Oh! Angelica Ross from Pose! Love her! She did such a great job with her character. 

14 minutes ago, Bad_vocal_technique said:

Oh! Angelica Ross from Pose! Love her! She did such a great job with her character. 

18 minutes ago, Dana Scully said:

wow Angelica Ross quote is a tear-jerker!

giphy.gif

we love a passionate talented music legend and lgbtq ally!

Beyond the music, Aguilera has supported Ross' organization TransTech Social Enterprises, a co-working, co-learning community dedicated to empowering trans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer people and allies with practical, career-ready skills.

"She has donated portions of her merch proceeds to our organization, and I hope to one day thank her in person," says Ross.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.