Probably ****ed up my uni diploma / I WON

Fastlane

I'm graduating from university on June 24. On this day I have a graduation thesis defense. 

Unfortunately, I started writing my research paper very late – in May. I knew that in our university, the defense of a thesis project is relatively easy, so I dragged my time until the last moment. The work must be checked, printed and signed by June 14.

On Friday, I called my supervisor and admitted that I was late for deadlines. She said it was my responsibility and she wouldn't be able to see the work before this Monday. In general, she watches 1 chapter for one week, makes edits and then discusses them with you. I have 3 chapters of 80 pages. 

So far there is no answer. I understand that this is my problem and responsibility, but I do not understand how to establish relations with the supervisor in this dialogue. I have all the grades in my diploma – A+.

Edited by Fastlane

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fastlane

• Archetype

• John Slayne

• AlanRickman1946

I mean supervisors probably have on the usual to deal with people late on deadline.

There is no reason for them to stress themself, just because their students can't submit in time.

Wish you luck tho :kiss:

When I realized I was running late I just emailed my supervisor that he wouldn’t read my thesis before the submission deadline :giraffe:

Why does she make edits on your thesis?

Usually you discuss everything beforehand with her but in general your supervisor is not allowed to read any of the chapters. 

Imo, you have 6 more days to meet the deadline, the rest is not your problem.

Stressful. Good luck!

Is it possible to work with another supervisor instead?  Or have 2-3 supervisors check different chapters from your thesis to get the sign-off?  

If anything, can you file for a late submission or an extension?  In my college, if you needed more time and had all credits and scores needed to graduate, you were allowed to walk at graduation and accept your diploma, but you’d submit your thesis over the summer and then be finished with everything.  I had 3 friends do this bc it’s normal in architecture school.

7 minutes ago, Archetype said:

Is it possible to work with another supervisor instead?  Or have 2-3 supervisors check different chapters from your thesis to get the sign-off?  

If anything, can you file for a late submission or an extension?  In my college, if you needed more time and had all credits and scores needed to graduate, you were allowed to walk at graduation and accept your diploma, but you’d submit your thesis over the summer and then be finished with everything.  I had 3 friends do this bc it’s normal in architecture school.

Much to our regret, it is not possible.

Supervisors are fixed by orders at the beginning of the academic year, i.е. In October last year, a teacher was assigned to me.

I need to enroll in a master's program this summer because I have a 100% tuition scholarship working.

I am afraid to enter into a dialogue with the supervisor after a phone call, so that her mood does not deteriorate.

But it needs to be done.

29 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

Much to our regret, it is not possible.

Supervisors are fixed by orders at the beginning of the academic year, i.е. In October last year, a teacher was assigned to me.

I need to enroll in a master's program this summer because I have a 100% tuition scholarship working.

I am afraid to enter into a dialogue with the supervisor after a phone call, so that her mood does not deteriorate.

But it needs to be done.

I know you said you waited until the last minute on purpose because of how easy going your school is regarding thesis reviews, but it might be helpful to come up with some reasons as to WHY you didn't start it sooner.  Do you have legit excuses (mental health, physical health, issues with family, part time job, etc)?  If not, you should start making one up and ensure it is convincing, especially considering you have an A+ grade avg, so it's actually working to your advantage since this seems out of character for you.  

Good. One less jobless person with an uni diploma. 

1 minute ago, arceus said:

Good. One less jobless person with an uni diploma. 

:deadbanana4:

Lie. Practice a sad story about why you're struggling and couldn't do it on time and never double down on your lies.

You were a sk8er boi

she said see ya later boi

joinesgifimage-4877934.thumb.gif.9ceffee

Submit by the deadline with a complete paper, doesn't have to be perfect. You'll pass at minimum.

3 hours ago, Archetype said:

I know you said you waited until the last minute on purpose because of how easy going your school is regarding thesis reviews, but it might be helpful to come up with some reasons as to WHY you didn't start it sooner.  Do you have legit excuses (mental health, physical health, issues with family, part time job, etc)?  If not, you should start making one up and ensure it is convincing, especially considering you have an A+ grade avg, so it's actually working to your advantage since this seems out of character for you.  

You made very good points. I really thankful.

I missed the opportunity to justify myself during a phone call - then it might have been appropriate.

Now I remembered that I was reading a methodological manual on the design of a thesis. It was written there that at the end of the work there could be a list of scientific articles and student achievements.

I write to her now that I should prepare such a list. Thus, I can remind myself.

Edited by Fastlane

2 hours ago, Shinseito said:

Submit by the deadline with a complete paper, doesn't have to be perfect. You'll pass at minimum.

2 hours ago, Pop said:

Lie. Practice a sad story about why you're struggling and couldn't do it on time and never double down on your lies.

3 hours ago, Archetype said:

These

You still have some days left so you can complete it, even if it isn't perfect.

But do ask for extensions wherever possible, and don't be shy to give them a sob story. Then if you do get an extension you'll have more time to make edits or whatever necessary still needs to get done. 

Whatever you do, don't give up now and don't panic! All is not lost and if you work hard the next 6 days you can still submit something and you will most likely pass. 

2 hours ago, John Slayne said:

Whatever you do, don't give up now and don't panic! All is not lost and if you work hard the next 6 days you can still submit something and you will most likely pass. 

I wrote 90 pages myself and all the work is framed in accordance with the requirements.

We have high requirements for the originality of the work - before protection, it must be uploaded to the Anti-Plagiarism portal.

If you have less than 75% originality and everything is borrowed from resources, then the work is not allowed. I have 92%.

21 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

I wrote 90 pages myself and all the work is framed in accordance with the requirements.

We have high requirements for the originality of the work - before protection, it must be uploaded to the Anti-Plagiarism portal.

If you have less than 75% originality and everything is borrowed from resources, then the work is not allowed. I have 92%.

nnnn then what is this thread title :deadbanana4: you are doing fine, i get that you want more time to go over it with your supervisor and like we said, try to get extensions for it if you can but it's not like you're being kicked out of uni. relax a bit

14 hours ago, John Slayne said:

nnnn then what is this thread title :deadbanana4: you are doing fine, i get that you want more time to go over it with your supervisor and like we said, try to get extensions for it if you can but it's not like you're being kicked out of uni. relax a bit

I cannot submit a printed paper if it does not have the signature of the supervisor and her signed review. 

She knows that I have to take it on June 10 (Friday) to the department of the faculty, but today it has already started Thursday.

Studying at an university is more than just getting lectured and learning from the books. How to schedule/prioritize work, assignments, projects,... work together with people, how people react on what you do,...

8 hours ago, Fastlane said:

Still no answer from her. :rip:

I'll call her tomorrow.

Oooh, it wasn't urgent for many months, you can wait another week before I make time to pick up the phone.

Me, my colleagues and boss are like that at work. When we see customers not noticing something is not working for months or we know that they rarely use the tech, they can wait another week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.