This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, madonnas said:

I count three (and a half, I guess) good songs.

You're a hater!

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

"Brutal" haters, please get right with God.

• ATRL Moderator
11 hours ago, supaspaz said:

"Brutal" haters, please get right with God.

!! Her best song.  

sent.  I would like Rolling Stone to win, but will accept Oxytocin or PUYF.  

Sent. The interludes really messed with some of these alubm averages :deadbanana:

Averages

18 hours ago, madonnas said:

I don't remember SOUR being this dire tbqh...

Funnily enough I had the opposite reaction when revisiting it this rate. It's a nice album

I dont think these Olivia songs are bad but I definitely have to be in the mood for them

• ATRL Moderator

I swear, every time I do one of these This Was rates, you all drag everything and the averages are terrible, even though these are supposed to be among the most acclaimed albums of the year.

• ATRL Moderator

Don’t blame me! I was handing out 10s to Billie, Simz, and JBREKKIE like they were Candy! 

On 6/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, supaspaz said:

I swear, every time I do one of these This Was rates, you all drag everything and the averages are terrible, even though these are supposed to be among the most acclaimed albums of the year.

Not that I dragged any of the albums but we wouldn't have this problem if we had Daddy's Home and Valentine in this rate instead of 30 :giraffe:

Edited by Lucas32

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Lucas32 said:

Not that I dragged any of the albums but we wouldn't have this problem if we had Daddy's Home and Valentine in this rate instead of 30 :giraffe:

So basically a This Was Indie 2021 rate with five voters?

• ATRL Moderator

the dream is dead i fear :gaycat6:

Halfway through! So far a stanning, a kind of stanning, and a panning, which will probably be the case with the remaining 3 albums! (no not in the order of the PM list :mandown: )

11 hours ago, supaspaz said:

So who is working on a ballot?

I am!

July 3 is too soon and I only know 2 albums by heart. I'll follow though. 

• ATRL Moderator
8 hours ago, BnPac said:

July 3 is too soon and I only know 2 albums by heart. I'll follow though. 

I’m definitely going to have to push back the due date at this point. Is a week (July 10) potentially enough time?

I feel like the album selection is putting people off. They’re all too different from each other. I feel like going full in with the most acclaimed albums of the year would have been better. Adele, Olivia and Billie could have been saved for This was Pop 2021.

• ATRL Moderator
28 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

I’m definitely going to have to push back the due date at this point. Is a week (July 10) potentially enough time?

Yep!

• ATRL Moderator

Favorite Crime still hits!

• ATRL Moderator
45 minutes ago, greento said:

I feel like the album selection is putting people off. They’re all too different from each other. I feel like going full in with the most acclaimed albums of the year would have been better. Adele, Olivia and Billie could have been saved for This was Pop 2021.

This is how the This Was series works! It's about picking a cross-section of albums that define the year. Sometimes those are purely the five most critically-acclaimed releases, but since the Pazz & Jop list no longer exists, it's more open to our interpretation. We try to account for success, buzz and what ATRL would actually enjoy listening to as well. 

All of the albums included in this rate, even the three you singled out, were lauded — especially Sour, which ended at or near the top of many of the biggest critics' list last year and would be here no matter how you slice it. Regardless, I don't see how excluding the broadly appealing records such as Adele and Billie, which voters have probably heard already, in favor of more indie faves would help with participation. The biggest complaint I've been seeing from people is that they don't want to check out the albums they haven't listened to before.

• ATRL Moderator
22 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

Favorite Crime still hits!

Yep. It's a 10.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.