This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

Oxytocin gives me doing coke at an underground party vibes - that beat is sickening 

But HTE rightfully outlasted ! 

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

S62L7Ev.png

GOOD 4 U

Average score: 8.30

High score: 10 (@Insanity@Lucas32@Ewan Chaos, @Norte)

Low score: 3 (@BnPac)

By summer 2021, it was clear that this is Olivia Rodrigo’s world and we’re all just living in it. Her third single gave her yet another #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in its opening week, making Sour the first debut album to launch two hits at the summit. (Chart manipulation by desperate BTS stans – and the enduring evil that was “Stay” – kept it stuck at #2 for 11 more weeks, tying another record, though it did top the charts in nearly two dozen additional countries, including the UK, where it won the Brit Award for Best International Song.) Taking a sharp left turn from expectations, “Good 4 U” is a bellicose rocker about the proverbial salt in the wound that is watching an ex quickly move on with someone new as if the breakup didn’t phase them at all. Propulsive and vicious (“I guess that therapist I found for you, she really helped/Now you can be a better man for your brand-new girl”), it practically demands a singalong, especially on the dynamic chorus. Viral mash-ups highlighting similarities to Paramore’s “Misery Business” ultimately forced her to hand over writing credits to Hayley Williams and Josh Farro. But there’s no doubt now that this is signature Olivia Rodrigo – from the verbose emotional intelligence to the acid wit, as also seen in the Grammy-nominated vengeful cheerleader music video, which references Audition, The Princess Diaries and Jennifer’s Body. Embraced by fans and the ATRL voters, who made it her highest-ranking track in this rate, it hopefully portends an exciting path for where Olivia's career is headed next. 

Best bit: “Remember when you swore to God I was the only/Person who ever got you? Well, screw that, and screw you”

ATRL says...: “Yeah, this is really good,” @madonnas conceded. “I feel like this is more the direction she’s going to go in the future, and thank god.” @Ewan Chaos stressed that “I don’t usually base the quality of a song off of how catchy it is…but holy shit, that chorus. Song of the summer 2021 (fuck you, ‘Butter’).” @BnPac was a dissenter. “No!” she exclaimed. “Feels too uninspired ‘00s pop rock for me.” @creativity. referenced the Paramore connection. “This is right out of…well, you know where,” he wrote. “Still can’t believe she had to credit them!”

BBN is great, glad to see it top 10 too! But Oxytocin deserved to be above it at LEAST

Yesss the evil is defeated! Good 4 U being this high is a choice

Drivers license deserved its spot by far

Goodbye to the dollar store version of Since U Been Gone

• ATRL Moderator

"Good 4 U" is great, but the thing that keeps it from being a 10 from me is the chorus. They needed to crank up the production another notch or two and make it really propulsive. It gets just a touch too slick and sweet to fully realize the potential of the verses.

Kinda a kii/glad she missed the top 5 bc I thought she's have done better overall in the rate :mandown: But Good 4 U is sooooo good! Glad it's her highest at least.

Love Paramore but literally hate the entire concept of Olivia being pressured by Tiktok into giving them credits for the song. Same with Deja Poo now artists are gonna be crying about **** like this all the time!

Way too high. :biblio:

• ATRL Moderator

So now it's down to Jazmine vs. Little Simz vs. Billie. Is this what you would have expected?

• ATRL Moderator

G4U is a future classic.  It’s true it’s true.

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Love Paramore but literally hate the entire concept of Olivia being pressured by Tiktok into giving them credits for the song. Same with Deja Poo now artists are gonna be crying about **** like this all the time!

Yeah, that pissed me off.

Insanity tanking Jbrekkie from ANY songs in the top 10 :biblio: AT LEAST Be Sweet should have snatched...

Not surprised HTE (title track) doing this well/would expect it to get #1 and not mad at it. Not surprised Jazmine's doing pretty well, and I thought Simz would be shat on but she actually seemed to be doing pretty well most of the rate once the intros were gone...

• ATRL Moderator

Just let artists homage their faves in peace!

3 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

So now it's down to Jazmine vs. Little Simz vs. Billie. Is this what you would have expected?

I'm "sure" Billie's song will win :gaycat2: or maybe not lol

• ATRL Moderator

IeGAH4X.png

WOMAN

ft. Cleo Sol

Average score: 8.47

High score: 10 (@MP2K@Ewan Chaos, @Invisibility, @Eric., @Taemira, @Reverie)

Low score: 6.5 (@Quicksand)

Little Simz briefly steps away from her inner turmoil to celebrate the fairer sex on this playful pageant of impressive ladies from across Africa and the Black diaspora. Released as the second single from Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, “Woman” is mostly detached from the album’s broader themes, as Simbi lauds their beauty, their brains, their ambition and their hustle over a suave symphonic groove, while Cleo Sol gasses them up on the chorus: “Leave the dust behind, you got this.” A voicemail left by a cousin, reflecting on the duality of life and happiness, becomes the song’s outro. The music video, the first Little Simz directed herself, follows a group of glamorous babes, including Jourdan Dunn, dancing, partying and gilrlbossing around a mansion.

Best bit: “He was gettin' bitter while she was gettin' better”

ATRL says...: @madonnas came out as a “She Works Hard For the Money” hater. “This is a nitpick, but Donna Summer innovated in the ‘70s, not the ‘80s?” he quibbled. “And it would still rhyme if she said ‘70s!”

• ATRL Moderator

As you can imagine, that's the highest low score in this rate. Pretty impressive to only have one score below a 7! But "Woman" needed more 10's if it wanted to snatch victory.

• ATRL Moderator

I love Donna summers 80s stuff! But come on !! Pick another artist that innovated in the 80s.  

anyway I think this song got single bias placement.  Surprising because other singles were not as lucky :laugh:  

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, madonnas said:

anyway I think this song got single bias placement.  Surprising because other singles were not as lucky :laugh:  

You're also coming down off the high of "Introvert" at that point

• ATRL Moderator

I was kind of hoping the next song would win the whole thing.

I’d be kinda shocked if HTE didn’t win at this point 

• ATRL Moderator

vOR0Zlp.png

LOST ONE

Average score: 8.48

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @ultraviolence.xx, @MP2K, @Lucas32@Invisibility, @BnPac)

Low score: (@Saddy)

Jazmine Sullivan is powerfully attuned to the nuances of heartbreak on this elegantly restrained lead single from Heaux Tales. Backed by just a muted electric guitar, she sings with an uncharacteristic flatness on the first verse, drinking herself to oblivion and hooking up with a parade of strangers to dull her pain. But as the song unfolds, so does its soundscape and its emotion. Lush harmonies carry a regretful Jazmine through delusions of reconciliation and to the pitiful yet deeply sympathetic chorus, where she prays that their relationship will at least matter to her ex as well: “Please don’t forget about me,” she implores. Co-written and produced by Dave Watson, “Lost One” is a wrenchingly sublime return to form for an artist who spent far too long away from the public eye. After a five-year absence, it announced a serious comeback for Jazmine, reaching the top ten of the R&B chart.

Best bit: “Just don't have too much fun without me”

ATRL says...: It was undeniable even to ballad haters. “You know me. You know giving an 8 to a song like this is a huge compliment,” @madonnas patted himself on the back. @Ewan Chaos expressed his response as “suffering emoji stock photo.” 

• ATRL Moderator

Please let's give "Lost One" its flowers. The silence is defeaning!

Amazing song! :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

The next elimination is a title track. We'll do it on the next page.

Lost is a nice song, its place is good tho

Glad that MLL, G4U and BBN made it to the top 10, all of them great songs :gaycat:

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, BnPac said:

Amazing song! :clap3:

At least someone recognizes the slayage!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.