This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

3 minutes ago, madonnas said:

JBREKKIE gave us an indie rock album that had eveything.  Something for everybody, and good lyrics and emotive vocals.  Not pretentious either.  And she was paid dust!

Seems it was only one person who was blatantly anti JBrekkie, to be fair

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, madonnas said:

She deserved at least 2-3 in the top 10!

I don't disagree! It's so odd, too, because it's not like she got dragged early on either.

• ATRL Moderator

SHXbWUN.png

BRUTAL

Average score: 8.03

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @madonnas, @Lucas32, @Norte, @Quicksand)

Low score: (@MP2K)

Who would have guessed that a Disney girl could throw this furious sucker-punch of thrashing punk rock? The opening track from Sour is a biting takedown of the false promise of youth as our golden years (“And I can’t even parallel park!”) and the world’s indifference to our adolescent angst. “God, it’s brutal out here,” Olivia Rodrigo snarls, in what may be the musical moment of 2021. After getting a nebulous release as the album’s fifth single, “Brutal” failed to make an impact on the charts, but it was rightly recognized as the best song of the year by Entertainment Weekly and its Y2K aesthetic music video was recently nominated for Video of the Year at the MTV Video Music Awards. While a similar riff to “Pump It Up” initially caused yet another plagiarism controversy, Elvis Costello, in true punk fashion, didn’t give a fuck. Maybe it’s not all so bad, Olivia.

Best bit: “And I'm so sick of seventeen/Where's my fucking teenage dream?”

ATRL says...: “The rock-leaning songs on here are EASILY the best!” @Ewan Chaos asserted. “Great opener, intro, and lyrical content.” @BnPac called it “good.” creativity. thought it was “right out of an early 2000s teen dramedy.” @madonnas nodded to the Elvis Costello drama. “The most blatant ‘rip off/ of the entire album and it’s the one that didn’t get forced to add writing credits… weird, lol,” he noted. “Anyway, great song.”

• ATRL Moderator

Probably lost one’s?

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Reverie said:

Seems it was only one person who was blatantly anti JBrekkie, to be fair

She had a lot of lovers and one hater. But the smattering of 5's and 6's and 7's is probably what sunk her last few tracks.

9 minutes ago, madonnas said:

JBREKKIE gave us an indie rock album that had eveything.  Something for everybody, and good lyrics and emotive vocals.  Not pretentious either.  And she was paid dust!

Sorry it literally gave me a headache or It would have got better scores

Wait the 8 bit intro was cute 

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

SHXbWUN.png

BRUTAL

Who would have guessed that a Disney girl could throw this furious sucker-punch of thrashing punk rock? The opening track from Sour is a biting takedown of the false promise of youth as our golden years (“And I can’t even parallel park!”) and the world’s indifference to our adolescent angst. “God, it’s brutal out here,” Olivia Rodrigo snarls, in what may be the musical moment of 2021. After getting a nebulous release as the album’s fifth single, “Brutal” failed to make an impact on the charts, but it was rightly recognized as the best song of the year by Entertainment Weekly and its Y2K aesthetic music video was recently nominated for Video of the Year at the MTV Video Music Awards. While a similar riff to “Pump It Up” initially caused yet another plagiarism controversy, Elvis Costello, in true punk fashion, didn’t give a fuck. Maybe it’s not all so bad, Olivia.

Best bit: “And I'm so sick of seventeen/Where's my fucking teenage dream?”

ATRL says...: “The rock-leaning songs on here are EASILY the best!” @Ewan Chaos asserted. “Great opener, intro, and lyrical content.” @BnPac called it “good.” creativity. thought it was “right out of an early 2000s teen dramedy.” @madonnas nodded to the Elvis Costello drama. “The most blatant ‘rip off/ of the entire album and it’s the one that didn’t get forced to add writing credits… weird, lol,” he noted. “Anyway, great song.”

Robbed tbh 

Overstayed its welcome by a good 10 spots 

• ATRL Moderator
6 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

Miss Jazmine?

No, but...she might have the final song to miss the top ten.

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Invisibility said:

Overstayed its welcome by a good 10 spots 

Counterargument: It should have stayed another 10 spots.

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Reverie said:

Wait the 8 bit intro was cute 

!!!

Do we feel like it should have made the album cut?

8 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

SHXbWUN.png

BRUTAL

Who would have guessed that a Disney girl could throw this furious sucker-punch of thrashing punk rock? The opening track from Sour is a biting takedown of the false promise of youth as our golden years (“And I can’t even parallel park!”) and the world’s indifference to our adolescent angst. “God, it’s brutal out here,” Olivia Rodrigo snarls, in what may be the musical moment of 2021. After getting a nebulous release as the album’s fifth single, “Brutal” failed to make an impact on the charts, but it was rightly recognized as the best song of the year by Entertainment Weekly and its Y2K aesthetic music video was recently nominated for Video of the Year at the MTV Video Music Awards. While a similar riff to “Pump It Up” initially caused yet another plagiarism controversy, Elvis Costello, in true punk fashion, didn’t give a ****. Maybe it’s not all so bad, Olivia.

Best bit: “And I'm so sick of seventeen/Where's my ******* teenage dream?”

A bop :jamming:

• ATRL Moderator

q0xm8FX.png

THE OTHER SIDE

Average score: 8.05

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx, @Fitzswiftie, @creativity., @Reverie)

Low score: (@Lucas32)

Can’t knock the hustle of a ho who’s just using her assets to snag a millionaire and get out of her drab existence. On this soaring aspirational ballad from Heaux Tales, produced by JoeLogic, Gee and Dilemma, Jazmine Sullivan pines for a future of expensive gifts and plastic surgery, a house in the suburbs with a pool in the back and vacations to Bora Bora. She’s tired of her basic life, with the job she doesn’t care about and the rent she can’t afford, so she’ll spend every night dolled up at the club if that’s what it takes to find a rapper or baller to call her own. “And I'll never be broke again/Strugglin', God as my witness,” Jazmines declares, channeling her inner Scarlett O’Hara. It’s all rather lovely and surprisingly moving – though not quite enough for a spot in the top ten. “The Other Side” missed out by less than three points.

Best bit: “I'm hoping these titties can get me out the city/I know I'm too pretty to not do nothing with it”

ATRL says...: “Almost psychedelic!” @madonnas marveled. “So beautiful!”

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Reverie said:

:biblio::biblio::biblio::biblio::biblio:

I'm so sorry, my little love. I feel your pain. And no one else is here with you in mourning. You're carrying this burden alone.

• ATRL Moderator

The OP is updated with the latest results. Your top ten:

HEAUX TALES

“Pick Up Your Feelings”

“Lost One”

SOUR

“Good For You”

HAPPIER THAN EVER

“Billie Bossa Nova”

“Oxytocin”

“Happier Than Ever”

SOMETIMES I MIGHT BE INTROVERT

“Introvert”

“Woman”

“Protect My Energy”

“My Little Love”

POB and Brutal deserve top 10 :chick3:

Happy that Adele got 1 song in the tlp 10 :gaycat:

9 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

I'm so sorry, my little love. I feel your pain. And no one else is here with you in mourning. You're carrying this burden alone.

Tbh I kinda expected Jazmine to lose a lot around these rankings, I'll just hope she makes top 5!

The dollar store version of "Since U Been Gone" Good For You making top 10 but not driver's license is a choice and a tasteless one too :rip:

Happy Adele made top 10 with at least one song! 

Oxytocin is cute but definitely rooting for HTE 

CANT WAIT TO BE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICH

giphy.gif 

Rolling Stone leaving like that... :rip:

5 hours ago, supaspaz said:

64JwXY2.png

POSING IN BONDAGE

Average score: 8.00

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @madonnas, @Lucas32@Invisibility, @creativity., @Taemira, @Norte@Reverie)

Low score: (@Insanity)

The highest-ranking track from Jubilee on the countdown is, rather unexpectedly, this aching second single about missed connections and craving closeness with another person. Originally recorded in 2017, “Posing In Bondage” was reconceived and fleshed out for the album, doubling in length as it became a somber, spacey ballad with a sweeping extended instrumental outro. Though released before, the music video is a sequel to the billionaire bunker murder of “Savage Good Boy,” with Michelle Zauner, blood smeared across her face, visiting an empty convenience store in the middle of the night and making friends with the clerk.

Best bit: “Done up and fixed on/All of the nights you turned away my touch”

ATRL says...: “I keep forgetting what these songs sound like after I listen to them,” @creativity. lamented of Japanese Breakfast’s album. “Except for this one, though. So good!”

Deserved number 1!!!! :jonny: Can’t believe it didn’t even make top 10.

at least brutal is finally gone

4 hours ago, supaspaz said:

SOUR

“Good For You”

this being the remaining song of Sour is just... 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.