This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

Just now, supaspaz said:

He gave "Girl Like Me" a 9, so his artpop really could mean anything.

Which could mean thanks to H.E.R. or she's the reason it wasn't a 10 :dancehall:

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

You know who we haven't seen for a while? Olivia Rodrigo.

• ATRL Moderator

nHgH7MS.png

JEALOUSY, JEALOUSY

Average score: 7.50

High score: 10 (@Taemira, @Norte)

Low score: (@Saddy, @creativity.)

Over a piano line that would make Fiona Apple proud, Olivia Rodrigo aims her blistering scorn at herself for one of Sour’s most introspective tracks, diving into what may be the definitive dilemma of her generation: the doubt, self-loathing and “Jealousy, Jealousy” that can consume anybody who spends too much time admiring strangers’ lives on social media.

Best bit: “I'm so sick of myself/Rather be, rather be/Anyone, anyone else”

ATRL says...: “FINALLY something good,” @madonnas sighed.

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, McNulty said:

Deserved Top20. Such a good song with an amazing production

Yes, it's such a vibe! Understated and seductive.

• ATRL Moderator

I'm frankly shocked how well "Jealousy, Jealousy" did, given the lashings that Sour got earlier in the rate.

• ATRL Moderator

Okay, if no one cares about Olivia, I guess we'll head back to Billie. Didn't want her to feel left out of this update.

45 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

GEjUzrm.png

ON IT

ft. Ari Lennox

now i know yall did not...

also why am i not in the 10s for this? there must be a clerical error.

• ATRL Moderator

9yM2Te2.png

I DIDN'T CHANGE MY NUMBER

Average score: 7.53

High score: 10 (@BnPac)

Low score: (@Insanity)

Billie Eilish taunts an ex who can’t catch a hint that she doesn’t want to talk anymore on this smoldering pink slip from Happier Than Ever. Nearly titled “Laura” because of the reference to her personal assistant Laura Ramsay in the first verse, “I Didn’t Change My Number” opens with a sample of Billie’s growling pitbull and dissolves into an excellent extended outro of digital squiggles – just the sort of effortlessly odd touches that make Billie and Finneas such an exhilarating presence in pop music.

Best bit: “You were easy on the eyes, eyes, eyes/But looks can be deceivin’”

ATRL says...: “Every banger on here is leagues above her last album (maybe minus ‘Bad Guy’),” @Ewan Chaos praised. @madonnas thought “the end of the song is worth the wait.”

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, ultraviolence.xx said:

now i know yall did not...

also why am i not in the 10s for this? there must be a clerical error.

My spreadsheet says you gave it a 9.

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

My spreadsheet says you gave it a 9.

operator error! on it, sweetie, i'm so sorry i did this to you!

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

9yM2Te2.png

I DIDN'T CHANGE MY NUMBER

Average score: 7.53

High score: 10 (@BnPac)

Billie Eilish taunts an ex who can’t catch a hint that she doesn’t want to talk anymore on this smoldering pink slip from Happier Than Ever. Nearly titled “Laura” because of the reference to her personal assistant Laura Ramsay in the first verse, “I Didn’t Change My Number” opens with a sample of Billie’s growling pitbull and dissolves into an excellent extended outro of digital squiggles – just the sort of effortlessly odd touches that make Billie and Finneas such an exhilarating presence in pop music.

Best bit: “You were easy on the eyes, eyes, eyes/But looks can be deceivin’”

ATRL says...: “Every banger on here is leagues above her last album (maybe minus ‘Bad Guy’),” @Ewan Chaos praised. @madonnas thought “the end of the song is worth the wait.”

tumblr_po2cx4qmmo1x0uneyo4_540.gifv

I’ve had the same cell phone number since I got my first phone in 2007. I think I’d be kinda sad if I had to change my number 

7 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

I'm frankly shocked how well "Jealousy, Jealousy" did, given the lashings that Sour got earlier in the rate.

yeah she got destroyed at the beginning 

• ATRL Moderator
20 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

5lmruOm.png

POINT AND KILL

ft. Obongjayar

Average score: 7.45

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @madonnas, @creativity.)

Low score: (@Ewan Chaos)

With its danceable Afrobeat and brash confidence, it’s a wonder this Sometimes I Might Be Introvert standout, released as the album’s fifth single with a Bonnie and Clyde-esque music video filmed in Lagos, hasn’t been snapped up already for the soundtrack of an international action film. The chorus, sung by Nigerian musician Obongjayar, is based on a phrase that derives from the process of picking fresh fish at a market or restaurant: the customer points and the seller kills and prepares their selection right then and there. The whole world is similarly Little Simz’s for the taking.

Best bit: “Point and kill/If I want it, it’s mine” is so much fun to sing

ATRL says...: “Excluding the interlude, this 1-2-3 punch is just too powerful,” @madonnas said, referring to the run of tracks that begins with “Rollin Stone” and “Protect My Energy.” @BnPac was less impressed. Though “it has a promising start,” she felt “it loses direction and punch quickly.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOO

• ATRL Moderator
13 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

nHgH7MS.png

JEALOUSY, JEALOUSY

Average score: 7.50

High score: 10 (@Taemira, @Norte)

Low score: (@Saddy, @creativity.)

Over a piano line that would make Fiona Apple proud, Olivia Rodrigo aims her blistering scorn at herself for one of Sour’s most introspective tracks, diving into what may be the definitive dilemma of her generation: the doubt, self-loathing and “Jealousy, Jealousy” that can consume anybody who spends too much time admiring strangers’ lives on social media.

Best bit: “I'm so sick of myself/Rather be, rather be/Anyone, anyone else”

ATRL says...: “FINALLY something good,” @madonnas sighed.

Great song.  Kinda reminds me of the Ting Tings. 

• ATRL Moderator

I feel like "I Didn't Change My Number" benefitted from being the second track. Because it's fine, but literally almost everything else is better.

There are many good songs left so it's hard to tell which ones should leave :squirrel:

Hopefully My Little Love can be on top 15 at least :chick3:

Jealousy, Jealousy was a nice surprise, nice one Olivia :clap3:

Edited by Norte

i thought jealousy jealousy would be out before the top 50 :eek: jealousy jealousy started following me was quite clever lyrics :-*

• ATRL Moderator

yaxkupr.png

PAPRIKA

Average score: 7.60

High score: 10 (@Lucas32, @Invisibility)

The opening track from Jubilee is a thesis statement for the album, as Michelle Zauner revels in the magic of music and the power it holds over audiences. Named for a 2006 anime film about a dream detective, “Paprika” is surreal and exultant, with Japanese Breakfast maxing out the number of tracks on Pro Tools to create its crashing wall of sound. “Ohhhh, it’s a rush!” Zauner cries out, before a brass band carries the song into a fit of ecstasy.

Best bit: “How's it feel to stand at the height of your powers/To captivate every heart?/Projеcting your visions to strangers/Who feel it, who listen to linger on еvery word”

• ATRL Moderator

@Insanity was the only score below a 6 there. Paprikacclaimed!

• ATRL Moderator

Where did everybody go? @Reverie, they're coming for you again with this next one.

Are any from Fear No Man, Protect My Energy and Rollin Stone still here? I'm late and havent caught up I'm sorry!

• ATRL Moderator

Ok but no more JB elims.  I can’t take another one of her songs out especially the three masterpieces ledt 

• ATRL Moderator

Not Japanese Breakfast being a ratings killer!

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Invisibility said:

Are any from Fear No Man, Protect My Energy and Rollin Stone still here? I'm late and havent caught up I'm sorry!

All still here! But one of them will be gone by the end of this update.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.