supaspaz

35 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

YgvJIJ1.png

GIRL LIKE ME

ft. H.E.R.

Average score: 6.99

High score: 10 (@ultraviolence.xx)

Low score: (@Born to Run)

As Heaux Tales draws to a close, Jazmine Sullivan has been broken to the core by trifling men and the games of modern romance. On this morose acoustic guitar ballad, produced by Bongo ByTheWay, she and H.E.R. contemplate how to compete with the gold diggers and strippers wearing Fashion Nova dresses, whose sensuous charms have stolen away their boyfriends. The bridge briefly sets their rage free, as they wonder why their loyalty and affection was not enough, but they ultimately accept that the only way to beat ‘em is to join ‘em. The ho transformation is complete. Released as the album’s third single, “Girl Like Me” spent a single week on the Billboard Hot 100 at #97, but reached the top ten on R&B radio.

Best bit: “And I ain't wanna be/But you gon' make a ho out of me”

ATRL says...: @Ace Reject felt that the features bring the album down, “especially H.E.R. doing her sleepwalking bit as per usual.”

WHAT???

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

omg Speed was sooooo good. Hmm I guess we're pretty high at 33 and that's a good average... but I'd have preferred other songs to have left before it I think!

You only gave it an 8.5.

• ATRL Moderator

ODDQX57.png

HOW DID YOU GET HERE

Average score: 7.18

High score: (@Lucas32, @Invisibility, @Eric.)

Low score: (@Quicksand)

The penultimate track on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert – which really feels like it’s winding up for the big finish – straightforwardly answers its titular question. Reminiscent of Kanye West’s “Last Call,” Little Simz recounts her rise from aspiring rapper handing out her mixtapes at school to the penniless struggles of her group Space Age to now releasing her fourth album. Though it has the effect of filling in the gaps for new listeners, “How Did You Get Here” is at its core a sermon to herself, complete with gospel choir, providing Simbi both an ego boost and a reminder to stay humble and keep chasing her dreams.

Best bit: “I'm the version of me I always imagined when I was younger”

• ATRL Moderator

And that's the highest-ranking track not to receive a 10.

Just now, supaspaz said:

ODDQX57.png

HOW DID YOU GET HERE

Average score: 7.18

High score: (@Lucas32, @Invisibility, @Eric.)

Low score: (@Quicksand)

The penultimate track on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert – which really feels like it’s winding up for the big finish – straightforwardly answers its titular question. Reminiscent of Kanye West’s “Last Call,” Little Simz recounts her rise from aspiring rapper handing out her mixtapes at school to the penniless struggles of her group Space Age to now releasing her fourth album. Though it has the effect of filling in the gaps for new listeners, “How Did You Get Here” is at its core a sermon to herself, complete with gospel choir, providing Simbi both an ego boost and a reminder to stay humble and keep chasing her dreams.

Best bit: “I'm the version of me I always imagined when I was younger”

tumblr_inline_r3o6mvBLe51qktomp_500.gif

girl like me deserved top 15 at LEAST... that bridge alone...

EqI94MiXMAEVUVT.jpg

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, creativity. said:

I’m also a Venom hater. Terrible movies!

Couldn't pay me to see it, but I believe you!

• ATRL Moderator

Last one for tonight is another single, because you all were not feeling those this time around!

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

You only gave it an 8.5.

8.5 is a great score beb! Especially when the last update you just showed had 9 as the highest score! I was trying to be conservative without giving too many 10s

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

8.5 is a great score beb! Especially when the last update you just showed had 9 as the highest score! I was trying to be conservative without giving too many 10s

To be fair, you used five o's.

• ATRL Moderator

xoFMMfp.png

NDA

Average score: 7.23

High score: 10 (@madonnas@Invisibility)

Low score: (@Insanity, @BnPac, @Reverie)

Superstardom has robbed Billie Eilish of a typical adolescence. She has a restraining order against a stalker who identifies himself as Lucifer, she can’t throw a party at her sick new pad and even a casual hook-up requires that the guy sign a non-disclosure agreement. Her frustrations over the dark side of fame, which have her contemplating quitting music, are channeled into this brooding industrial wail, the fifth single from Happier Than Ever. (At least she retains some sense of humor about everything, as on the cheeky second verse, stacked with references to other tracks from the album.) Backed by a self-directed music video in which Billie wanders a desert highway at night, narrowly avoiding getting run over by racing cars, “NDA” was rushed out as she strained to find a hit for the era. But it found even less success than its predecessors, scraping to #39 on the Billboard Hot 100 while missing the top twenty on pop radio and the top thirty for rock airplay.

Best bit: the pounding outro, in which Billie wonders, “Did I take it too far?”

ATRL says...: “One of the best ‘I’m a celebrity and it’s so hard’ songs,” @madonnas stated.

Girl Like me is def my least fave single from the album and one of the only ones I skip so that's right

• ATRL Moderator
7 minutes ago, Saddy said:

tumblr_inline_r3o6mvBLe51qktomp_500.gif

Your artpop could mean anything.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Reverie said:

Girl Like me is def my least fave single from the album and one of the only ones I skip so that's right

Not me forgetting that it's a single. So that's five singles OUT tonight, including three top ten hits.

Oh wait....I mixed up My Future and Getting Older

Or did I?

Actually I can't tell nvm both are nice so whatever LOL

“One of the best ‘I’m a celebrity and it’s so hard’ songs,” madonnas stated.

So true, love that the song has like 10 self-references in it too. I suppose I'm happy this lasted the longest of the singles minus HTE (I think? this album had a lot of singles)... I think this is a fair position but I do quite like it.

Edited by Ewan Chaos

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Not me forgetting that it's a single. So that's five singles OUT tonight, including three top ten hits.

When I saw Jazmine live she did the little "I wrote this song with my good friend" introduction before Girl Like Me and the crowd starting singing prematurely like, three separate times :skull: 

*Guitar strumming*

"I made a profile on ti-"

So I wrote this next song with a very talented girl, you guys might know her....

"I made a profile o-"

Give it up for H.E.R. y'all!

4 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

xoFMMfp.png

NDA

Average score: 7.23

High score: 10 (@madonnas@Invisibility)

Low score: (@Insanity, @BnPac, @Reverie)

Superstardom has robbed Billie Eilish of a typical adolescence. She has a restraining order against a stalker who identifies himself as Lucifer, she can’t throw a party at her sick new pad and even a casual hook-up requires that the guy sign a non-disclosure agreement. Her frustrations over the dark side of fame, which have her contemplating quitting music, are channeled into this brooding industrial wail, the fifth single from Happier Than Ever. (At least she retains some sense of humor about everything, as on the cheeky second verse, stacked with references to other tracks from the album.) Backed by a self-directed music video in which Billie wanders a desert highway at night, narrowly avoiding getting run over by racing cars, “NDA” was rushed out as she strained to find a hit for the era. But it found even less success than its predecessors, scraping to #39 on the Billboard Hot 100 while missing the top twenty on pop radio and the top thirty for rock airplay.

Best bit: the pounding outro, in which Billie wonders, “Did I take it too far?”

ATRL says...: “One of the best ‘I’m a celebrity and it’s so hard’ songs,” @madonnas stated.

Deserved place :gaycat2:

• ATRL Moderator

OP is updated with the latest results. Your top thirty:

HEAUX TALES

“Bodies (Intro)”

“Pick Up Your Feelings”

“Put It Down”

“On It”

“Price Tags”

“Lost One”

“The Other Side”

SOUR

“Brutal”

“Deja Vu”

“Good For You”

“Jealousy, Jealousy”

JUBILEE

“Paprika”

“Be Sweet”

“Kokomo, IN”

“Slide Tackle”

“Posing In Bondage”

HAPPIER THAN EVER

“I Didn’t Change My Number”

“Billie Bossa Nova”

“Oxytocin”

“Happier Than Ever”

SOMETIMES I MIGHT BE INTROVERT

“Introvert”

“Woman”

“I Love You, I Hate You”

“Little Q, Pt. 2”

“Rollin Stone”

“Protect My Energy”

“Point and Kill”

“Fear No Man”

“My Little Love”

“All Night Parking”

• ATRL Moderator

So Billie now only has as many songs left as Olivia (and fewer than Japanese Breakfast). Adele is the first artist to lose all her singles. The Japanese Breakfast songs that are left are the first five tracks on the album. And Jazmine could soon surpass Little Simz as the artist with the most songs remaining.

• ATRL Moderator
8 minutes ago, Reverie said:

When I saw Jazmine live she did the little "I wrote this song with my good friend" introduction before Girl Like Me and the crowd starting singing prematurely like, three separate times :skull: 

*Guitar strumming*

"I made a profile on ti-"

So I wrote this next song with a very talented girl, you guys might know her....

"I made a profile o-"

Give it up for H.E.R. y'all!

I'm cackling at this. It sounds like a fun show. I imagine Jazmine is a great live performer.

15 hours ago, naval23 said:

My Future and Therefore I Am outlasted drivers license :rip:

That was a choice 

TIA is the only good song on HTE

• ATRL Moderator
14 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

11 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

So true, love that the song has like 10 self-references in it too.

Let's actually talk about this. My vote is for "Rumors" by Lindsay Lohan.

1 hour ago, supaspaz said:

o1WfsXv.png

OH MY GOD

Average score: 6.95

High score: 10 (@creativity.)

Low score: (@BnPac)

What are those fluttering, squiggly noises that initiate this frisky second single from 30? For a brief moment, they portend one of the most magnificently curious songs in Adele’s oeuvre – before it settles into a more conventional Greg Kurstin production about stepping back into the dating pool after divorce and the anxiety of trying to find love again. After “Oh My God” debuted at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week of the album’s release, it quickly replaced “I Drink Wine” as the next single, ultimately becoming a solid pop and adult contemporary radio hit and reaching the top ten in 20 other countries. The black-and-white music video, helmed by “Rolling In the Deep” director Sam Brown,” features a cadre of dancers, references to past Adele clips and, of course, the queen of sitting in chairs sitting in a lot of chairs.

Best bit: “What is the likelihood of jumping/Out of my life and into your arms?”

ATRL says...: “They should have just made it an EDM song like it obviously sounds like it was intended to be,” @madonnas proposed. @Ewan Chaos called it “the Rebecca Ferguson-ification of Adele.” @BnPac could not understand how it was chosen as a single instead of “Can I Get It.” “It's bad, just bad,” she ranted. “It's not even guilty pleasure-level bad that is good. The pre-chorus doesn't work, the chorus is not punchy and the verses are weak. What's there to like?”

Now yall did this dirty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.