This Was 2021 | WINNER!

supaspaz

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Norte said:

It's no my favorite song on Sour but it definitely deserved a better averegare :biblionny:

It's brutal out here

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

• ATRL Moderator

qv6ATcg.png

OVERHEATED

Average score: 6.75

High score: 10 (@Lucas32)

Low score: (@Insanity)

Building on “Not My Responsibility,” this simmering takedown of paparazzi, celebrity media and anyone else who has something to say about her body is a response to the online chatter in fall 2020 when Billie Eilish was photographed wearing a tank top. (Yes, that’s really all she did.) The bridge unfortunately succumbs to a “Stupid Girls” moment, with Billie getting “OverHeated” about “inanimate bitches” with plastic bodies posing for pictures.

Best bit: “Is it news? News to who?/That I really look just like the rest of you”

I wish Overheated left before Goldwing so I guess I'm not mad about it leaving.

Back to DL, I guess other people seemed to really not like it! I would have given it like a 2.5 or 3 if I didn't give it my "designated song that gets a 1 on each album." Brutal and G4U getting farther :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Incredibly, Adele has more punches to take from you all.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Back to DL, I guess other people seemed to really not like it! I would have given it like a 2.5 or 3 if I didn't give it my "designated song that gets a 1 on each album." Brutal and G4U getting farther :clap3:

The gargantuan disconnect between the critical acclaim for "Drivers License" and the widespread hatred on ATRL has always baffled me.

• ATRL Moderator

SANQfta.png

CRY YOUR HEART OUT

Average score: 6.80

High score: 10 (@Norte)

Low score: (@Invisibility)

An ironically upbeat song about depression, Adele is having trouble getting out of bed and facing the day after her divorce on this Motown-esque ditty that arrives early on 30. With an assist from Greg Kurstin, she would rather stay home and drink away her feelings. But a kitschy chorus reminds her to “Cry Your Heart Out” as the first step to recovery.

Best bit: “I created this storm, it's only fair I have to sit in its rain”

ATRL says...: “I really wish this album had more upbeat bops like this,” @Insanity said. @Ewan Chaos rated it higher “because it’s totally underrated,” but added that it’s “far from my favorite on the album.” @BnPac was annoyed. “I hate that beginning and the song is a predictable anyway,” she wrote.

Just now, supaspaz said:

The gargantuan disconnect between the critical acclaim for "Drivers License" and the widespread hatred on ATRL has always baffled me.

Especially when this whole site was stanning DL for MONTHS in the beginning of 2021. It's like one another hit came along everyone just decided to hate it for some reason :skull:

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Ewan Chaos said:

Especially when this whole site was stanning DL for MONTHS in the beginning of 2021. It's like one another hit came along everyone just decided to hate it for some reason :skull:

I've always felt like there's a lot of members who want to pretend they are too good for that song and Olivia Rodrigo more generally. And it's like, babe, you're on ATRL! You stan Ava Max!

Legit thought CYHO was gonna be like... one of her first out in the rate :rip: So it's low but I'm fairly pleased with this position!

Not CYHO :chick3: also not me being the only 10 :ducky:

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Legit thought CYHO was gonna be like... one of her first out in the rate :rip: So it's low but I'm fairly pleased with this position!

Not as many haters, I guess. Every other score was a 5 or above.

• ATRL Moderator

And another major single out next. Definitely can't accuse this rate of having a singles bias.

• ATRL Moderator

sFqDycz.png

YOUR POWER

Average score: 6.83

High score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Lucas32)

Low score: (@Insanity, @creativity.)

After a monthslong hiatus, Billie Eilish relaunched the promotional cycle for her second album with what would technically be Happier Than Ever’s third single: this soft folk ballad with a hard edge. Accompanied mainly by an acoustic guitar, it’s perhaps the most stripped-down she has ever been, the song’s entrancing force coming from Billie’s clear-eyed denunciation of men who exploit young women. Fans theorized that she was singing about her former boyfriend, 7: AMP, whom she dated when she was a teenager and he was in his early 20s. But while Billie has acknowledged being in a relationship when she was younger that she now views as abusive, she has also insisted that the song is bigger than her own experiences. “I would like people to listen to me,” she told British Vogue. “And not just try to figure out who I'm talking about, because it's not about that.” Debuting and peaking at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100, “Your Power” was an unusual direction for Billie and it quickly tumbled down the charts, though it did manage to crack the top twenty on both pop and rock radio. The self-directed music video, where she sits on a mountain as a snake wraps itself around her neck, won the MTV Video Music Award for Best Video for Good.

Best bit: “Will you only feel bad when they find out?/If you could take it all back/Would you?”

ATRL says...: “A poor choice as lead single,” @madonnas stated. “But at the same time, it made us lower our expectations for the album, so when we listened to the album as a whole, we were blown away.” @Ace Reject said it “would be a 10 if the BPM matched ‘Lovesong’” by the Cure.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, McNulty said:

the devil is defeated

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.331234a8f0

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Reverie said:

I'm here I'm here!

orwm8t7.thumb.jpg.ec1314eeb9ef4fb406104e

See I was mature and didn't give Drivers License the lowest score even tho I wanted too! 

Also I think this rate was the first time I heard the song in full so

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, Reverie said:

Also I think this rate was the first time I heard the song in full so

How is that possible?

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, McNulty said:

At this rate, Japanese Breakfast and Little Simz songs are gonna fill the Top 20

Just wait! As I previewed at the start of the countdown, five albums are represented in the top ten.

@Ace Reject said it “would be a 10 if the BPM matched ‘Lovesong’” by the Cure.

Oh this is so true 

• ATRL Moderator

Damn, no one cared about "Your Power" biting the dust.

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

How is that possible?

I'm really good at avoiding songs if I want to

orwm8t7.thumb.jpg.ec1314eeb9ef4fb406104e

• ATRL Moderator

Update on the next page!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.