• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• madonnas

• Reverie

• Ace Reject

Some of these Olivia songs were genuinely horrific 

• ATRL Moderator

Exciting news! We'll finally hit a 5 average with the next track.

• ATRL Moderator

TvSFnk2.png

NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY

Average score: 5.00

High score: (@Taemira, @Invisibility)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx, @Insanity, @MP2K, @creativity., @Norte)

Originally conceived as a video interlude for Billie Eilish’s 2020 concert tour, “Not My Responsibility” is one of the better performances at your college’s spoken-work showcase, a declaration of bodily autonomy to a light trip-hop beat. Though hypnotizing in its ruminations on how the public has picked over her physique, even as it was purposefully hidden under layers of baggy clothing, this is not exactly a song and, consequently, suffers the first elimination from Happier Than Ever.

Best bit: “So while I feel your stares, your disapproval or your sigh of relief/If I lived by them, I'd never be able to move”

ATRL says...: @madonnas was into it. “Billie embraces her celebrity in an ambient pop manifesto,” he declared. @creativity. was not. “If it was 10 years ago and I was still a Tumblr SJW I would’ve been all over this song!” he admitted. “But this sucks.”

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, creativity. said:

Some of these Olivia songs were genuinely horrific 

You all did way too much on Sour! She knows her way around a melody and a lyric, so I don't know how anything she wrote could be classified as genuinely horrific.

• ATRL Moderator

I will not apologize for living NMR. It’s grEat. 

• ATRL Moderator

m2YVXUh.png

NEVER MAKE PROMISES (INTERLUDE)

Average score: 5.16

High score: (@madonnas, @Ace Reject, @Born to Run)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx, @Quicksand)

Nearly serving as the album intro, “Never Make Promises” instead became a transitional track late in Sometimes I Might Be Introvert. Its titular warning repeats like an incantation, ascending on the piercing chants of a coed choir before it fades into a digital distortion, emphasizing one of Little Simz’s main themes: “nothing ain’t promised at all.”

Best bit: the bass-voiced men who intone, “When we fight, we fall,” at the end of each stanza

I like Not My Responsibility but ranked it a bit lower so that other songs could shine. Not the worst song on HTE!

• ATRL Moderator

IgIMFhp.png

CAN'T BE TOGETHER

Average score: 5.20

High score: 8.75 (@Ace Reject)

Low score: (@BnPac)

One of three exclusive tracks for the Target edition of 30, this soft piano ballad co-written and produced by Greg Kurstin is about moving on after a breakup. Even though Adele still loves her ex-husband after all these years and misses him at the end of each day, she is firm that they “Can’t Be Together” and urges him to look forward to the next relationship rather than getting caught up in what might have been.

Best bit: “But we need to learn how to love who we're loving/It's hard but we must, we've got to let it go/And turn off the urge to know what could have been”

ATRL says...: “Not me having to go to Lipstick Alley to find a place to stream this!” @madonnas complained.

• ATRL Moderator

Woof, no one cares about "Can't Be Together"? It's a nice song!

• ATRL Moderator

IbmXbWl.png

AMANDA'S TALE

Average score: 5.25

High score: 10 (@Ace Reject, @Born to Run)

Low score: (@ultraviolence.xx, @Insanity)

Putting the heaux in Heaux Tales, the album’s final interlude is a melancholy admission from Jazmine Sullivan’s longtime friend, Amanda Henderson, that she uses sex to find a sense of self-worth because she worries the rest of her is not enough to keep a man coming back. It previews the anthem for dumped girls everywhere that closes out the record.

Best bit: “In one way it's empowering, in another way it's…it's sad”

ATRL says...: “For the low-self-esteem heaux out there,” @BnPac wrote.

• ATRL Moderator

The next few are actual songs, so come on back, everybody!

• ATRL Moderator

Oh boo!

• ATRL Moderator

8pHvss9.png

EVERYBODY DIES

Average score: 5.33

High score: 10 (@Born to Run)

Low score: (@Insanity)

Billie Eilish has said she associates this bummer from the back half of Happier Than Ever with shades of blue. But its bleak meditations on loneliness and the inevitable end of life feel more like a descent into pitch-black nihilism – before the comforting counsel of its final lines nearly flips this memento mori into a carpe diem dirge.

Best bit: “I don't wanna cry, some days I do/But not about you”

so far, I agree with the last scores 

happier than ever has some pretty good highs but it took effort getting through the whole thing

• ATRL Moderator

Next up: the song that I genuinely believed would be out first before this rate started!

Yeah that was the actual worst one on HTE. Glad to see it gone :flower:

Is it Can I get i? 

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Norte said:

Is it Can I get i? 

Babe, I gave that one a deserved 10.

• ATRL Moderator

yAv1EHI.png

HOPE UR OK

Average score: 5.35

High score: 10 (@Quicksand)

Low score: (@Norte)

A decade after nearly every female pop star in the game scored a #1 hit telling her fans that It Gets Better, Olivia Rodrigo jumped on the LGBTrend with this closing track to Sour, a plaintive ballad about some sad homosexuals she once knew whom she hopes are no longer being tortured by their parents. Olivia told fans she had “so much fun” making “Hope Ur OK” – which is based on anecdotes she heard from friends, not people in her own life – and chose it as the final song because she wanted to end her “very sad, angry, emotional record” on an optimistic note.

Best bit: “His parents cared more about the Bible/Than being good to their own child”

ATRL says...:  000214f4-1600.jpg

@madonnas also gave it a mixed review: “Some cute instrumentation with an awful vocal melody.”

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Babe, I gave that one a deserved 10.

I mean I saw everyone trashing that song, I also gave a well deserved 10  

----

Sour deserved a better closing track 

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Norte said:

Sour deserved a better closing track 

"Favorite Crime" is perfect. Imagine it ending on that note.

• ATRL Moderator

The homophobes have suddenly gone silent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.