• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freakshowvato

• Lyrical Liar

• thatsmydemi

• Soobin

6 minutes ago, Freakshowvato said:

I dont think TMYLM was for success tbh, Demi genuinely ravaged in the R&B sound and found her artistry again on that record. That kickstarted the venture of making personal songs, and Demi's musical partnership with Oak.

I just think the R&B TMYLM sound no longer was working, b/c we heard demos from 2019 and even songs like I Love Me just are not it. Demi outgrew that sound

I don't see an issue with an artist exploring sounds and owning them all.

I mean it’s one of my favorite Demi albums, so I definitely agree that people should be able to genre hop as long as they deliver, I just think it’s funny that people say “Demi should stop being inauthentic” when what they really mean is “I like Pop-R&B more than Pop-Rock” 

To me, TMYLM is a great album, and it was important that Demi stretched themself by tapping into a genre that’s in their wheelhouse, but I also think it’s the most obvious departure for her sonically.

25 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

The non-stans saying they’re tired of Demi’s genre hopping and inauthenticity but then simultaneously saying that she should go back to the TMYLM sound is kinda hilarious to me, when TMYLM is probably the biggest example of her swerving out of her lane for success. 

I may be biased because I love the album, but I actually feel like TMYLM was Demi's first step towards a more authentic sound. Unbroken, DEMI and Confident are much bigger "sell-outs", while at least TMYLM had some sort of inspiration in Christina/Stripped which she stated she loved and was actually a big part of her childhood and all.

TMYLM is incredibly personal and cohesive! All the songs are about specific relationships. It's definitely gonna remain one of Demi's best albums forever

Just following on from what the rest of you are saying (cus y'all are making some POINTS :clap3:), it's hilarious how exploring new sounds and genre-hopping is such an issue for some listeners.

Like does anyone strictly listen to one genre of music? Is anyone the same at 30 years old as they were at 25? Isn't life all about the journey and experience? How are you supposed to know whether or not you're good at something if you don't test the waters?

No two days are the same, no experiences are ever the same, no two albums from an artist will ever be the same. PERIOD. :giraffe:

Idk if I made any sense there as I'm sleep-deprived AF but I hope someone agrees and understands what I'm trying to say. :gaycat6:

I HATE when people say an artist needs to stick to one sound or "find a sound" like ?????

NO. An album should stick to one sound and be cohesive. An artist should venture through many sounds and be creative.

3 hours ago, miguel said:

I may be biased because I love the album, but I actually feel like TMYLM was Demi's first step towards a more authentic sound. Unbroken, DEMI and Confident are much bigger "sell-outs", while at least TMYLM had some sort of inspiration in Christina/Stripped which she stated she loved and was actually a big part of her childhood and all.

this is spot on 

3 hours ago, Rotunda said:

I mean it’s one of my favorite Demi albums, so I definitely agree that people should be able to genre hop as long as they deliver, I just think it’s funny that people say “Demi should stop being inauthentic” when what they really mean is “I like Pop-R&B more than Pop-Rock” 

To me, TMYLM is a great album, and it was important that Demi stretched themself by tapping into a genre that’s in their wheelhouse, but I also think it’s the most obvious departure for her sonically.

nah i dont think this holds up at all

her music from 2011-2105 was much more trend chasing and felt very manufactured, despite still making lots of bops and great tunes 

its only when she released TMYLM did it feel like we were getting a return to Demi's actual authenticity and artistry. Since then, she has grown with each album -- utilizing many of same collaborators from that album (hi Oak) and it felt like TMYLM was the real return to form after she got a bit too stuck in the generic radio pop sound which never really felt like it resonated with her personally 

I gotta hop on and say all of y'all are 1000% right. I had a mini rant earlier about this, people act like she's trying to be something she isn't when in reality she was always into rock/r&b music. I honestly felt like DWTDTAOSO had a lot of songs that reminded me alot of HWGA. She has every right to try out different sounds but she sounds most at home with rock music in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Rotunda said:

The non-stans saying they’re tired of Demi’s genre hopping and inauthenticity but then simultaneously saying that she should go back to the TMYLM sound is kinda hilarious to me, when TMYLM is probably the biggest example of her swerving out of her lane for success. 

TMYLM was true to what Demi was listening at the time (and probably still) and was the perfect fit for her voice. Holy **** is the lane she started with but on another level and makes sense considering what music Demi grew up listening but with a modern twist (also this sound was probably already in the cards when the "emo" I Love Me came out). :michael:

Would say the only album that felt inauthentic and genre hopping was DEMI and a lot of Unbroken.

Ok I can admit when I’m wrong, stream Cry Baby :chick1:. Regardless, I’m glad we all agree that Demi hopping genres shouldn’t matter when she’s served good output in all of them. 

Even those generic droplets we got pre-DWTD I was secretly bopping to :chick1:

6 hours ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Beating Panic is impressive :clap3: I still think pure sales should be weighted more tho, cuz people are spending a lot of money on YOU and YOUR ALBUM. The 90 pure sales :rip:

Not really he's kinda cancelled cancelled, different type of cancelled to Demi lmao

6 minutes ago, Greg.P said:

Not really he's kinda cancelled cancelled, different type of cancelled to Demi lmao

nnn, this tweet really says it all. Brendon can't stand that Queen chose my other fave Adam to be the frontman :wanda:an awful and jealous person, good riddance

7 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

nnn, this tweet really says it all. Brendon can't stand that Queen chose my other fave Adam to be the frontman :wanda:an awful and jealous person, good riddance

It's all been downhill since Death of a Bachelor! Say Amen slaps tho :alexz:

This is one of my favorite albums this year. I even bought the vinyl! My faves are “Come Together,” “Eat Me,” “Bones,” and “4 Ever 4 Me.” The only one I don’t fully love as much as the others is “Help Me,” and even that one is growing in me. Demi’s most consistent album in a minute!

5 hours ago, Rotunda said:

It's funny how they use the 'genre hopping' drag. She's a versatile artist and singer. If she hops on to many genres it's because she CAN do it. Others don't have the vocals, let alone the talent to pull it off. Like, I personally didn't like her last album (DWTD...TAOSO), it wasn't my cup of tea, but objectively she pulled it off and I can see why many stans liked it.

Also, the trend chasing acussations got stronger with the collabs she did during the TMYLM era but it was only because those collabs became smashes for her while still giving her personal and artistic view in the album :cm:

She's a pop artist, of course she's gonna flow with some trends, but it's not exclusive with Demi. How many artists went into the trap trend? The disco trend? The latin waves? There is no MPG immune to stuff like that :giraffe:

i'm actually super super curious as to what Demi will do next genre-wise. like if she will stick with rock or continue playing with different sounds.

Demi's always been authentic with her music. When she wanted hits her albums/collabs reflected that. Why she said she was high af recording DWTD the album reflected that. Same with Holy ****. She's always changing and her music is changing with her. And she has the talent and drive to keep up. She may be many things, but boring is not one of them.  

25 minutes ago, miguel said:

i'm actually super super curious as to what Demi will do next genre-wise. like if she will stick with rock or continue playing with different sounds.

she said she's sticking to rock and maybe she'll do an acoustic album. off topic but your avi is adorable

insta.thumb.gif.1d827606e9d1a2ce790d5c6e

Edited by Salwa

3 hours ago, Idleworship said:

I gotta hop on and say all of y'all are 1000% right. I had a mini rant earlier about this, people act like she's trying to be something she isn't when in reality she was always into rock/r&b music. I honestly felt like DWTDTAOSO had a lot of songs that reminded me alot of HWGA. She has every right to try out different sounds but she sounds most at home with rock music in my opinion. 

TAOSO is dreamy indie rock on songs like Lonely People, TAOSO, Melon Cake, The Kind of Lover I Am... critics compared it to Tame Impala, it's a very Southern Californian chill type of soft rock (termed yacht rock)

5 minutes ago, Salwa said:

she was high af recording DWTD the album reflected that. Same with Holy ****. She's always changing and her music is changing with her. And she has the talent and drive to keep up. She may be many things, but boring is not one of them.  

The breezy and psychedelic elements to TAOSO are top tier, ik Demi doesn't relate to that vibe being sober now tho

4 minutes ago, Freakshowvato said:

The breezy and psychedelic elements to TAOSO are top tier, ik Demi doesn't relate to that vibe being sober now tho

Agreed. Honestly the more creative control Demi is given, the better her music is. We've seen this consistently. Even the scraps from her last few albums are impeccable (All I Wanna Know, Eden, Emotional Top Shelf, etc.)

5 minutes ago, Freakshowvato said:

Just now, pinkbowvintage said:

Agreed. Honestly the more creative control Demi is given, the better her music is. We've seen this consistently. Even the scraps from her last few albums are impeccable (All I Wanna Know, Eden, Emotional Top Shelf, etc.)

Agreed. Her talent :jonny4: