AZ cops tells drowning man: "I'm not jumping in after you"

Communion

Pigs like that deserve life in jail at the very LEAST (though death penalty would be more appropriate imo)

Random citizens and lifeguards save drowning people everyday but cops are too scared to:deadbanana4:

25 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Pigs like that deserve life in jail at the very LEAST (though death penalty would be more appropriate imo)

??????? did u even read the story?

I usually don’t side with the police but IMO their action is justified. It’s very risky to try and save a panicked drowning person as they can pull the rescuer down under with them. You also don’t know if the cops are good enough at swimming where they can rescue a heavy person from drowning in the middle of a lake. It takes a lot of stamina. Lastly, don’t forget that the ‘victim’ did this himself. 

1 minute ago, 1000 forms of queer said:

I usually don’t side with the police but IMO their action is justified. It’s very risky to try and save a panicked drowning person as they can pull the rescuer down under with them. You also don’t know if the cops are good enough at swimming where they can rescue a heavy person from drowning in the middle of a lake. It takes a lot of stamina. Lastly, don’t forget that the ‘victim’ did this himself. 

umm they are trained first responders. dont join a job thats supposed to save people if you cant SAVE PEOPLE.

13 minutes ago, 1000 forms of queer said:

You serious? Was police are there for? Watch and enjoy seeing citizens die and drown?

24 minutes ago, 1000 forms of queer said:

??? what? Being a cop is a RISKY job, that's literally what they signed up for :deadbanana4:

39 minutes ago, 1000 forms of queer said:

And? Better him alive than them. 

not surprised but what if they couldnt swim lol 

:bibliahh:Why do we need police if they’re not going to help civilians? Do they think their job is simply to go drive around shooting people / random speeding tickets? :rip:

1 hour ago, 1000 forms of queer said:

At least in my country policemen have to pass strict physical conditioning tests including first aid, swimming, running, weightlifting, etc. Bc thats their job :dies: they get a plus for the possibility of jeopardising their lives, I'm sure its the same in America 

6 minutes ago, Erotic said:

:bibliahh:Why do we need police if they’re not going to help civilians? Do they think their job is simply to go drive around shooting people / random speeding tickets? :rip:

They're so power-hungry that their main priority is having/exerting/maintaining power rather than helping civilians :rip:

#EndQualifiedImmunity

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

• ATRL Moderator

To be fair, it's apparently not the job of police to help citizens as per the Supreme Court.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

The decision, with an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia and dissents from Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, overturned a ruling by a federal appeals court in Colorado. The appeals court had permitted a lawsuit to proceed against a Colorado town, Castle Rock, for the failure of the police to respond to a woman's pleas for help after her estranged husband violated a protective order by kidnapping their three young daughters, whom he eventually killed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

Unfortunately, discussions about policing in America is impossible because people don't care about nuance. It's a tired issue, but bad policing has been a plague in this country for forever and it harms all of us. Hopefully people start to snap out of the propaganda we've been indoctrinated with when it comes to cops.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:04 AM, 1000 forms of queer said:

sis that is a POLICEMAN not a random untrained dude :biblio:

dont put yourself into that uniformed personnel because they have years of experience and skills :biblio:

nobody's surprised :coffee2: and remember all those crazy Trumpists and young right-wingers you see online? yeah they are all joining the police force/military so things are about to get worse

a nazi police state is coming 

Those who don’t agree with the cop’s behavior are either uninformed or completely dissociated from reality.

The guy jumped onto the water to run away from them and then expected the police to save him. We don’t know if the cops even know how to swim, and if they do, it’s not their responsibility to save someone drowning as they are not lifeguards and don’t have training in rescuing people from the water. 
Anyone that has ever touched grass knows that when someone is in panic in the water they tend to pull the saver down with them. There are hundreds of cases of people dying trying to rescue someone drowning.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:45 PM, Erotic said:

The police exists to maintain order. They aren’t medics, nurses or lifeguards.

not someone defending the cops because it was 'risky' :bibliahh: imagine the firefighters saying 'i'm not saving your ass, it's too hot in there'

The problem is that this country romanticized being a cop or being in the military. "My dad was a cop, and so was his dad, so I want to be a cop" and BS like that. If you're taking this job it's because you want to serve your community and face risky situations, not because you want to print parking tickets and eat donuts like you're Chief Wiggum in The Simpsons 

21 minutes ago, argos said:

The police exists to maintain order. They aren’t medics, nurses or lifeguards.

that boot must be delicious 

2 hours ago, getBusy said:

not someone defending the cops because it was 'risky' :bibliahh: imagine the firefighters saying 'i'm not saving your ass, it's too hot in there'

The problem is that this country romanticized being a cop or being in the military. "My dad was a cop, and so was his dad, so I want to be a cop" and BS like that. If you're taking this job it's because you want to serve your community and face risky situations, not because you want to print parking tickets and eat donuts like you're Chief Wiggum in The Simpsons 

This would happen everywhere in the world.

Did they have any equipment that could have been used?

As a formally trained lifeguard, we were taught not to jump in and try to save a drowning adult just like that... because it would often result in the drowning of the lifeguard as well - specifically outside of a pool setting. Best way to save someone is to use other equipment, and stay a decent distance away from them so that they can't grab you. Just because a job is considered risky, doesn't mean that we should be expected to sacrifice our life to do it.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, Severus Snape said:

At least in my country policemen have to pass strict physical conditioning tests including first aid, swimming, running, weightlifting, etc. Bc thats their job :dies: they get a plus for the possibility of jeopardising their lives, I'm sure its the same in America 

Not sure if police do this but I know firefighters in this country get trained like this :dies: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.