Jump to content

Billboard's Top Movie Songs Of All Time


Hector
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.billboard.com/lists/top-movie-songs-of-all-time/


1 Debby Boone, "You Light Up My Life" in 'You Light Up My Life'
2 Diana Ross & Lionel Richie, "Endless Love" in 'Endless Love'
3 Bryan Adams, "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" in 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves'
4 Percy Faith & His Orchestra, "The Theme From 'A Summer Place'" in 'A Summer Place'
5 Bee Gees, "How Deep Is Your Love" in 'Saturday Night Fever'
6 Survivor, "Eye Of The Tiger" in 'Rocky'
7 Irene Cara, "Flashdance... What A Feeling" in 'Flashdance'
8 Bee Gees, "Night Fever" in 'Saturday Night Fever'
9 Whitney Houston, "I Will Always Love You" in 'The Bodyguard'
10 Boyz II Men, "End Of The Road" in 'Boomerang'
11 Blondie, "Call Me" in 'American Gigolo'
12 Bee Gees, "Stayin' Alive" in 'Saturday Night Fever'
13 Post Malone & Swae Lee, "Sunflower" in 'Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse'
14 Pharrell Williams, "Happy" in 'Despicable Me 2'
15 Coolio feat. L.V., "Gangsta's Paradise" in 'Dangerous Minds'
16 Lionel Richie, "Say You, Say Me" in 'White Nights
17 Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth, "See You Again" in 'Fast & Furious 7'
18 B.J. Thomas, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" in 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'
19 Barbra Streisand, "The Way We Were" in 'The Way We Were'
20 Prince And The Revolution, "When Doves Cry" in 'Purple Rain'
21 Destiny's Child, "Independent Women Part I" in 'Charlie's Angels'
22 Celine Dion, "Because You Loved Me" in 'Up Close & Personal'
23 Eminem, "Lose Yourself" in '8 Mile'
24 Barbra Streisand, "Evergreen" in 'A Star Is Born'
25 Roxette, "It Must Have Been Love" in 'Pretty Woman'
26 Lulu, "To Sir With Love" in 'To Sir With Love'
27 Color Me Badd, "I Wanna Sex You Up" in 'New Jack City'
28 Christopher Cross, "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" in 'Arthur'
29 Madonna, "Crazy For You" in 'Vision Quest'
30 Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin, "Separate Lives" in 'White Nights'
31 Kenny Loggins, "Footloose" in 'Footloose'
32 Phil Collins, "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)" in 'Against All Odds'
33 UB40, "Can't Help Falling In Love" in 'Sliver'
34 Starship, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" in 'Mannequin'
35 Huey Lewis & The News, "The Power Of Love" in 'Back To The Future'
36 Stevie Wonder, "I Just Called To Say I Love You" in 'The Woman In Red'
37 Los Lobos, "La Bamba" in 'La Bamba'
38 Ray Parker Jr., "Ghostbusters" in 'Ghostbusters'
39 Olivia Newton-John, "Magic" in 'Xanadu'
40 Seal, "Kiss From A Rose" in 'Batman Forever'
41 Jon Bon Jovi, "Blaze Of Glory" in 'Young Guns II'
42 Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories, "Stay (I Missed You)" in 'Reality Bites'
43 En Vogue, "Don't Let Go (Love)" in 'Set It Off'
44 Dolly Parton, "9 To 5" in '9 To 5'
45 Simple Minds, "Don't You (Forget About Me)" in 'The Breakfast Club'
46 Prince And The Revolution, "Kiss" in 'Under the Cherry Moon'
47 John Parr, "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" in 'St. Elmo's Fire'
48 Michael Sembello, "Maniac" in 'Flashdance'
49 Bob Seger, "Shakedown" in 'Beverly Hills Cop II'
50 Billy Idol, "Cradle of Love" in 'The Adventures of Ford Fairlane'
51 Phil Collins, "Two Hearts" in 'Buster'
52 Bette Midler, "Wind Beneath My Wings" in 'Beaches'
53 Beyonce feat. Bun B and Slim Thug, “Check On It”
54 Carolina Gaitán, Mauro Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guerrero, Stephanie Beatriz & 'Encanto' Cast, “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” in 'Encanto'
55 ZAYN & Taylor Swift, "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" from '50 Shades Darker'
56 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper, "Shallow" in 'A Star Is Born'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Heart Will Go On being OUT is proof these inverse point system rankings Billboard loves to do are kinda wack. :deadbanana:

 

Lots of classics in there though. My favorites are Shallow (duh) and Wind Beneath My Wings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is it a Top 55? :deadbanana:

 

(your list has 56 items; BB has 55) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

My Heart Will Go On being OUT is proof these inverse point system rankings Billboard loves to do are kinda wack. :deadbanana:

Wasn't MHWGO artificially pulled from charting to boost the album numbers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brando said:

Wasn't MHWGO artificially pulled from charting to boost the album numbers? 

I thought it just had a limited number of copies available? (To boost album sales in lieu of single sales more than likely, but I wouldn't call that "pulled" exactly.)

 

Either way, it's still far bigger than most of these on the list, but will never be reflected because it's performance on the actual Hot 100 was relatively short lived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

I thought it just had a limited number of copies available? (To boost album sales in lieu of single sales more than likely, but I wouldn't call that "pulled" exactly.)

 

Either way, it's still far bigger than most of these on the list, but will never be reflected because it's performance on the actual Hot 100 was relatively short lived.

Ok, artificially cut short. Whatever you wanna call it. BB can only do so much i guess. On top of their methodology being questionable, it doesn't really help when labels get involved in this manner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Brando said:

Why is it a Top 55? :deadbanana:

 

(your list has 56 items; BB has 55) 

 

YLUML actually doesn't show at #1, so that changes everything. :dies: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

how did i dont want to live forever make it and ellie didn't? the ellie song is considerably bigger, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beyonce with two entries (DC and solo with Check On It).

Somehow she ALWAYS stays winning and I CAN stand it :fan:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Beyonce with two entries (DC and solo with Check On It).

Somehow she ALWAYS stays winning and I CAN stand it :fan:

!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

My Heart Will Go On being OUT is proof these inverse point system rankings Billboard loves to do are kinda wack. :deadbanana:

 

Lots of classics in there though. My favorites are Shallow (duh) and Wind Beneath My Wings.

What is wrong with their point system? It seems like the fairest way, by only using their charts, to ascertain what songs were bigger chart hits.

 

I guess it doesn't take into account the possible lead any song could have at the #1 spot...

 

Edited by swissman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, swissman said:

What is wrong with their point system? It seems like the fairest way, by only using their charts, to ascertain what songs were bigger chart hits.

 

I guess it doesn't take into account the possible lead any song could have at the #1 spot...

 

That system is skewed towards newer songs with much much much greater longevity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

YLUML actually doesn't show at #1, so that changes everything. :dies: 

How do we know it's number 1 if it doesn't show on their list?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No Fifty Shades tracks :deadbanana:

#1 Lana Del Rey, "Young and Beautiful" in "The Great Gatsby" :fonso:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also how on earth is this chart run:

 

54 - 38 - 24 - 14 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 13 - 21 - 38 - 50 - 54 - 62 - 73 - 95 - 95 - 100

Endless Love - 9 weeks at #1, 13 weeks in the Top 10, 19 weeks in the Top 40, 27 weeks on the chart


is bigger than this chart run:

 

40 - 12 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 7 - 11 - 16 - 22 - 26 - 28 - 30 - 41 - 49 - (7 - 3 - 30) 

I Will Always Love You - 14 weeks at #1, 16 weeks in the Top 10, 25 weeks in the Top 40, 26 weeks on the chart (original run) 

 

They don't just use inverse system. They also adjust to the average chart runs of their respective eras/climates.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, both Night Fever and Stayin Alive have much more impressive chart runs than How Deep Is Your Love, but it's above them on that list. Can't really apply different climates argument here when they are from the same album 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Brando said:

That system is skewed towards newer songs with much much much greater longevity 

Is it though? There are only three songs released after 2000 in the Top 20. Maybe it's skewed to favour them, but maybe they needed that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, swissman said:

Is it though? There are only three songs released after 2000 in the Top 20. Maybe it's skewed to favour them, but maybe they needed that?

Nah. BB uses a lot more than just inverse system for their charts. They can't just use a basic system like that for all time charts. Spending 30 weeks on chart when an average #1 spends 15 is way more impressive than spending 30 weeks on chart when an average #1 hangs on for over a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, swissman said:

What is wrong with their point system? It seems like the fairest way, by only using their charts, to ascertain what songs were bigger chart hits.

 

I guess it doesn't take into account the possible lead any song could have at the #1 spot...

I understand why they do it, but it paints an incomplete picture based only on the positions in which songs charted. There are two major things wrong with this.

 

1. It ignores everything but the weeks/months the song was charting. If, for example, a song fell out of the Hot 100 but pulled enough sales/streams/radio airplay to be just under #100 — even if this went on for years — it would still not be given even a single additional point using the inverse point system. This basically throws out all of a song's popularity except for the short period in which it charts.

 

2. Giving every position the same value (in other words, every #1 position 100 points, every #2 position 99 points, etcetera) isn't really accurate. As we all know, a #1 can be double, triple, or more the points of the #2 song in any given week — but in the inverse point system, that #1 would still be given the same value as a weaker #1 in a week where the #2 was just a hair behind it.

 

Because they're really only ranking the top charting songs whenever they do these things, they're technically not wrong in using this method, but (especially for someone who may not know any better) these lists they do read as if they're ranking these songs based off of everything to give a definitive "top list", which their inverse point system method does not allow for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

29 Madonna, "Crazy For You" in 'Vision Quest'
 

56 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper, "Shallow" in 'A Star Is Born'

:heart:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pop Art said:

I understand why they do it, but it paints an incomplete picture based only on the positions in which songs charted. There are two major things wrong with this.

 

1. It ignores everything but the weeks/months the song was charting. If, for example, a song fell out of the Hot 100 but pulled enough sales/streams/radio airplay to be just under #100 — even if this went on for years — it would still not be given even a single additional point using the inverse point system. This basically throws out all of a song's popularity except for the short period in which it charts.

 

2. Giving every position the same value (in other words, every #1 position 100 points, every #2 position 99 points, etcetera) isn't really accurate. As we all know, a #1 can be double, triple, or more the points of the #2 song in any given week — but in the inverse point system, that #1 would still be given the same value as a weaker #1 in a week where the #2 was just a hair behind it.

 

Because they're really only ranking the top charting songs whenever they do these things, they're technically not wrong in using this method, but (especially for someone who may not know any better) these lists they do read as if they're ranking these songs based off of everything to give a definitive "top list", which their inverse point system method does not allow for.

I see your point. I think #2 is the most pertinent to not accurately showing the popularity of a hit. Though definitely it would be interesting to see this list, but based also on Bubbling Under stats.

 

I just think that...it's Billboard...so of course their ranking of hits is going to be based on chart rankings because that's what they do. They're about chart data. If someone assumes otherwise, that's kind of on them and their understanding of what Billboard does.

 

Edited by swissman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jjang said:

:heart:

You're finally seeing the light. It is impressive that Shallow, released only 3 years ago, is on the same list with Madonna's song released 50 years ago. :jonny5:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lillavend3r said:

No Fifty Shades tracks :deadbanana:

I Don't Want to Live Forever is on there:dies:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

da number one song of da decade for da seventies is on top here too

 

some of these songs r such classics

 

love seeing my b!tch at 29

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...