Uvalde, TX School Massacre: Former Police Chief Indicted for Slow Response

Vermillion

The US is a completely broken society. The more I learn about it from my American friends and the news, the more I'm shocked. 

More stringent gun control is an absolute must but this is fundamentally a cultural issue. The question is why do so many Americans want to kill or maim their fellow citizens? I struggle to see how a cultural shift towards a more compassionate, responsible and trusting society can realistically be enacted within our lifetimes, but I hope it can.

I hope the state provides lifetime mental health support for the victims and their families completely free of charge.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• Bears01

• ClashAndBurn

• khalyan

16 minutes ago, Teen Idle said:

The question is why do so many Americans want to kill or maim their fellow citizens?

My take on this is that the american culture and society is so incredibly egocentric and focused on the individual. There's no universal health care, all the best universities comes with extreme tuition fees, the tax rates are so low so there's no chance for them to build a strong secure society.
This whole "american dream" is about being self made and looking out only for yourself rather than the society as a whole. 
This leads to people not simply caring about each other and there's no general community spirit.

(Of course not all citzens are like that but this is a more general take)

I'm so happy I grew up and live in a country many US citzens would class as a communist country :rip: (even tho Sweden is classed as a capitalist welfare country) 

People asking why is this unique to America, are y’all forgetting how this country was founded and how it’s behaved domestically and internationally for decades and even now??? 

You got to be a real jackass to go shoot up an elementary school.

You'd think after Sandy Hook change would've happened, but nope, and the way gun fetishists are going change won't happen here either.

America is truly a dump. And did I just read that this is the 27th public shooting as well?

R.I.P to those children and the teachers.

i mean i understand that politicians are greedy and power-hungry and support guns cuz of all the gun-lobbyists money but how are dozens of millions of americans so brain-dead that they actually support guns with their entire chest?

6 hours ago, Sombre said:

This is disgusting. I don't understand what it will take for gun control to take place. It's really not that hard, look at how Australia handled it. RIP to everyone who died. 

Not just Australia

United Kingdom, 1996 Dunblane massacre
- Targets were pupils and staff at Dunblane Primary School
- 17 deaths plus himself
- weapons were 2x 9mm Browning HP pistol (x2) and 2x Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver

Following the shooting, law changes banned all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales. Subsequent law changes banned .22 cartridge handguns as well. In the years following, there appear to have been no more school shootings, but there were other shooting incidents, including the 2010 Cumbria shootings.

Australia, 1996 Port Arthur massacre 
- 35 people killed at Port Arthur historic site
- Main weapon AR-15 
- secondary weapon Self-Loading Rifle .308

Following the killings, there were law changes restricting the private ownership of semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns

New Zealand, there were two major killings:

1990 Aramoana massacre
- 13 killed with semi-automatic rifle
- Main weapon was a Chinese Norinco 84S similar to AK-47/AK-74 design
- New Zealand firearms legislation changed in 1992, creation of the military-style semi-automatic category of firearms. 

In hindsight there were too many loopholes in the legislation (many semi-automatic rifles with replaceable magazines not banned)

2019 Christchurch mosque shootings 
- 51 Muslims killed by white supremacist, while they were praying in their mosques.
- Police recovered six guns, including two AR-15 style rifles 
- 30-round magazines (illegal in NZ) purchased online fitted and modified trigger mechanism to increase fire rate.

Within a month of the shooting, legislation was introduced to change gun laws and most semi-automatic weapons were made illegal, including all semi-automatic rifles with either high capacity or replaceable magazines.

In Australia and both the New Zealand cases, the weapon was a AR-15 or similar semi-automatic with interchangeable magazine.

The recent killings in Buffalo were done with an Bushmaster XM-15, an AR-15-style rifle.

The killer in Uvalde appeared to have used one or two AR-15 style rifles

These mass killers are not brave, they don't want to get up close to people and risk being overpowered while they reload, which is why they choose these weapons with large interchangeable magazines. The firepower of the weapon gives them the confidence to do terrible things.

There isn't a huge mystery about what needs to be done to stop the worst mass shootings and it probably doesn't involve taking away all guns, maybe just the types that seem to get used in all of these shootings.

These weapons are popular and profitable for gun makers, because they help make mentally weak men feel powerful, just like the way many people drive big gas guzzling truck style vehicles, even though they don't need to carry heavy equipment for their job or any other reason.

Edited by Letemtalk

This  hurts, what did these children ever do to deserve this? This psychopath targeted children for what? Prayers to the families ?

Sick nation. 

RIP to those children and teachers victims of a broken society.

Ban guns now.

I'm not from the US and I know very little about how Congress and Senate work, but is there really nothing that can be done to pass stricter gun laws on a federal level?

RIP to the children and teachers :'(

Also regarding banning guns: The argument against banning guns that i hate so ******* much is that people would just obtain them ilegally... and then completely ignore that the US is the only place where school shooting happen every year...
And even if by banning guns public shootings only get 20% less it'd still save lifes and be worth it
Should we  abort any laws just because people could end up breaking them? I hate people that argue against banning guns so ******* much its absolutely mindblowing how stupid people can be.. 
Making it harder to get guns = less shootings.. and people who argue against that are simply braindead imo

Edited by TaylenaStan

1 hour ago, Letemtalk said:

Not just Australia

United Kingdom, 1996 Dunblane massacre
- Targets were pupils and staff at Dunblane Primary School
- 17 deaths plus himself
- weapons were 2x 9mm Browning HP pistol (x2) and 2x Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver

Following the shooting, law changes banned all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales. Subsequent law changes banned .22 cartridge handguns as well. In the years following, there appear to have been no more school shootings, but there were other shooting incidents, including the 2010 Cumbria shootings.

Australia, 1996 Port Arthur massacre 
- 35 people killed at Port Arthur historic site
- Main weapon AR-15 
- secondary weapon Self-Loading Rifle .308

Following the killings, there were law changes restricting the private ownership of semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns

New Zealand, there were two major killings:

1990 Aramoana massacre
- 13 killed with semi-automatic rifle
- Main weapon was a Chinese Norinco 84S similar to AK-47/AK-74 design
- New Zealand firearms legislation changed in 1992, creation of the military-style semi-automatic category of firearms. 

In hindsight there were too many loopholes in the legislation (many semi-automatic rifles with replaceable magazines not banned)

2019 Christchurch mosque shootings 
- 51 Muslims killed by white supremacist, while they were praying at their mosques.
- Police recovered six guns, including two AR-15 style rifles 
- 30-round magazines (illegal in NZ) purchased online fitted and modified trigger mechanism to increase fire rate.

Within a month of the shooting, legislation was introduced to change gun laws and most semi-automatic weapons were made illegal, including all semi-automatic rifles with either high capacity or replaceable magazines.

In Australia and both the New Zealand cases, the weapon was a AR-15 or similar semi-automatic with interchangeable magazine.

The recent killings in Buffalo were done with an Bushmaster XM-15, an AR-15-style rifle.

The killer in Uvalde appeared to have used one or two AR-15 style rifles

These mass killers are not brave, they don't want to get up close to people and risk being overpowered while they reload, which is why they choose these weapons with large interchangeable magazines. The firepower of the weapon gives them the confidence to do terrible things.

There isn't a huge mystery about what needs to be done and to stop the worst mass shootings and it probably doesn't involve taking away all guns, maybe just the types that seem to get used in all of these shootings.

These weapons are popular and profitable for gun makers, because they help make mentally weak men feel powerful, just like the way many people big drive gas guzzling truck style vehicles, even though they don't need to carry heavy equipment for their job or any other reason.

Great post. :clap3:

30 minutes ago, pieceofgök said:

I'm not from the US and I know very little about how Congress and Senate work, but is there really nothing that can be done to pass stricter gun laws on a federal level?

There can be something done, but No Republican will vote for it. You need 60 votes to pass legislation in the senate, and there’s 50 Dem senators (and there’s probably at least a handful of Dem senators who won’t vote for it either) 

1 hour ago, pieceofgök said:

You would either need 10 republicans in the senate or for Joe Manchin and Kritsten Cinema to get rid of the 60 vote requirement.  

Apparently all children who died were studying second and fourth grades, so most of them weren't even 10 years old.

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

So much for a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun.

Edited by Jay07

7 hours ago, Subzero said:

:weeps:

I was following the updates on this little one and really hoped he would be found okay :cries: this is so insane.

RIP to all these innocent babies :!ohno: This country is truly horrid.

:!ohno:

I'm not in law enforcement or crime stats but based on media portrayals, what defines a mass shooting as "premeditated" appears to be all over the place. 

Apparently there was a prior warrant not related to the incident with the grandmother but in trying to escape from police he went to the school, got past the guards that were there, then shot up one classroom where the students were with the teachers and barricaded himself inside then was shot himself. 

I may have some of that wrong but I don't think so.

This is obviously depressing by itself, but honestly the worst part is knowing that NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE because politicians are too busy taking money from the NRA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.