New Warner CEO Is Determined To Revive Harry Potter

AbeHicks

Mr. Zaslav, who last month took over the company resulting from Discovery's merger with AT&T Inc.'s WarnerMedia, has given every indication he wants to be a talent-friendly mogul, schmoozing with industry personalities at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

He and his team have been scouring the company's books, making it clear spending needs to be reined in. They have abandoned projects they consider costly and unnecessary. That included pulling the plug on CNN+, barely a month after previous management launched the streaming service, and canceling a DC Comics superhero movie in development.

Mr. Zaslav wants Warner Bros. to focus on increasing its number of theatrical releases to between 20 and 25 a year, a person familiar with his thinking said. Theatrical movies also tend to perform better on HBO Max than movies made exclusively for the service. Last year, Warner Bros. released 17 movies.

At the same time, Mr. Zaslav is looking to make fresh "Harry Potter"-related content for HBO Max—Warner Bros. made all the wizarding franchise's movies—people familiar with his thinking said, and plans to meet with creator J.K. Rowling in the coming weeks to discuss the matter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/warner-bros-discovery-david-zaslav-11652822285

I'm so happy a Harry Potter renaissance is upon us :clap3: Wrap up the awful legendary beasts franchise real quick and do something better king :duca:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miichael

• Feanor

• nathanspears

• AbeHicks

Top Posters In This Topic

With the JK Rowling drama, that's never going to happen but gl

They need to do a teen/YA school drama set in Hogwarts and keep JK far away from the script

Teen dramas are in rn, so that would be a massive success.

Make her do an George lucas and sell the property, than we can talk :coffee2:

A Wizarding world show is a dream I have for years. There is so much potential. The founders. The marauders and the first Wizarding war, Voldemort's rise to power etc.

Yasss finally a series for hbo max :WAP:

Hungry Food GIF

The way i can't get enough of this series :bam:

No fantastic beats please although after the third one flopped they'll definitely go another route 

If Hogwarts Legacy is a success + the storyline is good, I'd approve of a Wizarding World show

But it should be new characters and new stories

5 minutes ago, McNulty said:

please don't touch it ffs, it's not even old to reboot it

No reboot. They meant more content in that world

As long as it's not a reboot, this could be really great I'm excited :jonny5:

6 minutes ago, Terylee said:

Voldemort's rise to power etc.

I want this so much

https://i.imgur.com/YyLLfdW.gif

Leave it alone. It’s too soon to recast these iconic characters and it’s not worth it for a show that’s going to be canceled. 

It already is being revived. The upcoming video game is going to print money for them.

Elite but in Hogwarts I can see it:jonny5:

edit: nvm i forgot they are kids in hogwarts, bad joke:rip:

Edited by TheCal

19 minutes ago, Feanor said:

They need to do a teen/YA school drama set in Hogwarts and keep JK far away from the script

Please tell me you're joking. The Cursed Child play/book was essentially that and it ended up staining the franchise's legacy with its fan fiction-esque plot. :skull:

I don't condone J.K. Rowling's anti-trans stance, but if Warner is going to continue the Hogwarts franchise they need her to write at least a few more books because all of Warner's original ideas for the franchise have been shit quality-wise.

Edited by Sugar-Rush

21 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Teen dramas are in rn, so that would be a massive success.

Ew, absolutely not. We don’t need another watered down, quirky cringe fest teeny bopper. Riverdale is still haunting many of us

5 minutes ago, TheCal said:

Elite but in Hogwarts I can see it:jonny5:

edit: nvm i forgot they are kids in hogwarts, bad joke:rip:

Aren’t they supposed to be old in the couple of films ?

1 minute ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Please tell me you're joking. The Cursed Child play/book was essentially that and it ended up staining the franchise's legacy with its fan fiction-esque plot. :skull:

The Cursed Child was pure sh*t because it tried to create a sequel story to the OG books, which would’ve never worked because they tried to shoehorn and retrofit so many stuff.

What I want is doing a show with characters that are completely removed and not related to the ones we already know.

Not everything has to somehow relate to Potter’s family/friends/foes. 
Let a seasoned HBO write write it, and I do believe it’d make for a good show.

Wasn’t there tea about them trying to do some sort of Hogwarts series but their preferred showrunner flat out refused the project because of Rowling? She’s going to continue to be a major hurdle for any effort they put forward, even if she isn’t personally involved. 

• ATRL Moderator

JK completely ruined any potential this series had for growth.

I love the main series movies though, but there really doesn't need to be any additions to them.  Let them air on cable TV weekly, collect some coins, and otherwise leave the series alone.  

5 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

Aren’t they supposed to be old in the couple of films ?

No idea, but if they are old enough I wouldn't mind seeing some spicy drama in Hogwarts environment:jonny5: or at least just some fun high school drama show, i think that could be enjoyable

Edited by TheCal

They want to expand on the world.

The brand is still one of the largest and most widely beloved in entertainment, it would be silly for Warner to pretend they shouldn't do anything with it.

They should never let JK set foot near the brand ever again though, that's step one.

Loved the books as a child, but enough is enough 

Rebel Wilson GIF

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.