• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crashed

• KFC

• Konril

• Augmented

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HotFriedChicken said:

FANTASTIC episode. I missed RTD so much :cries: so happy to see that they're giving the show a proper budget again! Ahhhh

Just one thing I didn't understand 

Hide contents

Were they implying that the metacrisis made Rose trans? :rip:

Spoiler

they were going on about how the doctor and donna are binary (two) like copies of each other or some **** and because Rose doesn't have a counterpart she is non-binary i was screaming :rip:

• Haha 2

Before I talk about the episode I just wanted to mention the Children in Need special was sh*t :clown:

Anyways…Without spoilers I will say The Star Beast was good! Lots of fun moments, continued great chemistry between David and Catherine, it looked visually stunning (especially The Tardis omfg).

Spoiler thoughts:

Spoiler

Definitely had some issues with the episode as a whole. I see we are continuing the trend of using the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand to help solve multiple plot points, couldn’t stand it in Jodies era and definitely rolled my eyes a bit at the force fields it made here. In typical RTD fashion (or arguably all of modern who) I think the pacing is just too fast, especially the second half of the episode there was not enough moments to fully explore things which I personally felt made the resolution of the story feel too rushed. The explanation of the Metacrisis and how it was solved was also a bit confusing, I feel like I understand what it was trying to do but don’t know if it pulled it off or not.

Jacqueline King (Sylvia) definitely stole the show performance wise in terms of the rest of the Noble family, I feel like Rose was pretty underused as a character and there was some awkward standing around moments between her and Shaun. Don’t get me wrong she was sweet and likeable but maybe Yasmin just didn’t deliver acting wise for me :michael:. Some of the queer elements of the story are really touching (the conversation Rose and The Meep have in the shed, the ‘clumsy’ moment between Sylvia and Donna) but some elements felt a little on the nose or heavy handed maybe?

Murray Gold continues to deliver both beautiful elements of scoring in some moments to bombastic or unnecessary moments the next-so typical Murray Gold basically. I knew Donna was going to survive but my gosh the emotion in that scene followed by the doctor not caring if he died was :cries: Actually I think a majority of the emotional moments landed well, Donnas explanation for giving up the money and the scene when she wants to save London wow, Catherine was firing on all cylinders this episode. The Nerys jokes took me out tbh :dies:

All in all, definitely a step up in some regards from the previous era but already a tiny tiny bit worried that a lot of RTDs continued choices and tropes might not work for the show now compared to when he first rebooted it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Augmented said:

Before I talk about the episode I just wanted to mention the Children in Need special was sh*t :clown:

Anyways…Without spoilers I will say The Star Beast was good! Lots of fun moments, continued great chemistry between David and Catherine, it looked visually stunning (especially The Tardis omfg).

Spoiler thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

Definitely had some issues with the episode as a whole. I see we are continuing the trend of using the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand to help solve multiple plot points, couldn’t stand it in Jodies era and definitely rolled my eyes a bit at the force fields it made here. In typical RTD fashion (or arguably all of modern who) I think the pacing is just too fast, especially the second half of the episode there was not enough moments to fully explore things which I personally felt made the resolution of the story feel too rushed. The explanation of the Metacrisis and how it was solved was also a bit confusing, I feel like I understand what it was trying to do but don’t know if it pulled it off or not.

Jacqueline King (Sylvia) definitely stole the show performance wise in terms of the rest of the Noble family, I feel like Rose was pretty underused as a character and there was some awkward standing around moments between her and Shaun. Don’t get me wrong she was sweet and likeable but maybe Yasmin just didn’t deliver acting wise for me :michael:. Some of the queer elements of the story are really touching (the conversation Rose and The Meep have in the shed, the ‘clumsy’ moment between Sylvia and Donna) but some elements felt a little on the nose or heavy handed maybe?

Murray Gold continues to deliver both beautiful elements of scoring in some moments to bombastic or unnecessary moments the next-so typical Murray Gold basically. I knew Donna was going to survive but my gosh the emotion in that scene followed by the doctor not caring if he died was :cries: Actually I think a majority of the emotional moments landed well, Donnas explanation for giving up the money and the scene when she wants to save London wow, Catherine was firing on all cylinders this episode. The Nerys jokes took me out tbh :dies:

All in all, definitely a step up in some regards from the previous era but already a tiny tiny bit worried that a lot of RTDs continued choices and tropes might not work for the show now compared to when he first rebooted it.

Spoiler

I screamed at poor Nerys still catching strays 15 years later :rip:

• Haha 1

Was a huge fan growing up and have seen a load of the classic series too but ducked out part way through the Chibnall era. Thought I'd give this a go given Russell, David and Catherine were back.

Spoiler

It was good fun and quite light hearted, which is what I feel it had kind of lost. Some of the social commentary was a little bit on the nose but I feel like Doctor Who has always been a bit clunky in some respects.

It always sends me how Russel T Davies reuses the same actors in his shows :dies: (Ruth Madeley in this case).

The meep was absolutely ridiculous but I did have a good kii when she just whipped out the gun and shot those two guys :rip:

How old was Yasmin Finney's character supposed to be? There's no way they think she passed for 14 or younger...

The meta crisis resolution felt a bit easy to me. Like all that emotional turmoil and she could just choose let it go?

Overall a good reintroduction and "reboot" in a way. Looking forward to the next episodes

• Like 3

I just watched it!

I thought some plot elements were a little rushed, and I agree that the queer elements could've been handled better, but overall I enjoyed the first special and I'm excited to see more. It's gonna be bittersweet knowing that we'll only have Ten and Donna for a few specials but I'm looking forward to them nonetheless. :heart2:

Also, I cracked up when the Meep pulled out a gun and revealed that it was evil. :ahh:

Edited by Jotham

They're just waiting to bring Billie Piper back and make the Tardis lights spell Bad Wolf :gaycat1:

real housewives television GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Haha 1

Another PHENOMENAL episode. I was terrified the whole way through! Up there with Midnight. RTD is a genius

I burst into tears seeing Wilf :cries:

The arms :deadbanana2:

I really liked how stripped back this episode was, just focusing on their characters and no one else. The one thing I will say is the fake out ending was a bit predictable and unnecessary.

Spoiler

The whole feeding of fear thing reminded me of Odd Bob the Clown from Sarah Jane Adventures, which iirc was also from the depths of outer space

I think the ending of the last episode is my favorite scene in dr who of all time

Well I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad :rip: I did not enjoy that episode at all. Goofy ass 

David's performance was phenomenal as usual but it just feels like such an unsatisfying send off and a weird ending for 10/14 and Donna 

5 minutes ago, KFC said:

Well I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad :rip: I did not enjoy that episode at all. Goofy ass 

David's performance was phenomenal as usual but it just feels like such an unsatisfying send off and a weird ending for 10/14 and Donna 

I don't mind the regeneration and 14's send off but I found the story itself very lackluster. To me it felt like a Chibnall era nothingburger of an episode :redface:

• Like 1

That was ridiculous :rip:

I think the Toymaker part of the story was decent and had more potential but the whole regeneration nonsense was a complete jump the shark moment

I just watched the commentary and RTD said that

Spoiler

the bi-generation basically causes every previous incarnation of the Doctor to survive their death in another timeline :rip: I really don't like this idea because it kinda eradicates the emotional impact that regenerations usually have.

Edited by Crashed

1 hour ago, Augmented said:

The new Sonic

Hide contents

Serving Sky TV remote

28 minutes ago, Crashed said:

We have a new MPG on the horizon :gayriahcat3:

The fact that it’s no.1 on UK ITunes :dies: She needs an Atrl banner and some stanning threads :gaycat4:

22 minutes ago, Augmented said:

The fact that it’s no.1 on UK ITunes :dies: She needs an Atrl banner and some stanning threads :gaycat4:

I don't think it's possible but it would be so funny to see a song about Goblins eating children on top of the UK charts during Christmas :ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.