Kendrick uses F-slur in song

favorite crime

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

A cishet man like Hasan has no place to speak on this issue. The fact the word is more normalized is exactly why you shouldn't be using it plainly in a song which only furthers its normalization. 

I think anybody can discuss anything, and I think his point is that by not censoring the word people would take it more seriously instead of instantly dismissing it.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

• Hephaestus

• Joey Coco

• Vermillion

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, Tasty said:

I think anybody can discuss anything, and I think his point is that by not censoring the word people would take it more seriously instead of instantly dismissing it.

This is the same type of thinking that many bigots have used to justify the use of countless slurs that terrorize marginalized people, including the n-word. Again, Kendrick Lamar is talented and creative enough to bring about that discussion without using a word that he, as someone who is not a part of the community, should not be saying.

EDIT: I'll leave it at this cause I've said all my main points. I'll leave it to other members to hash it out. Keep it cute, y'all.

2 hours ago, Orsay said:

she may have spilled a bit

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdsDD54J/?k=1

That first comment spilled too:

"One cannot be considered a lyrical genius if they cannot convey their message without using offensive slurs."

:cm:

His fans and straight ppl already feel more than comfortable using the word. What world do some of you live in? :toofunny2:

The message of the song is beautiful, and so is the song. But if you’re making a statement regarding these issues you can’t afford messing it up, and Kendrick lacked some research. From misgendering his relatives to the random chanting of the f slur… Great concept, good intentions, bad execution. He’s a great guy, I don’t think he should be crucified for this, but hopefully he’ll listen to what the community has to say about it. 

I don't know, I understand it from both sides. Yes, he shouldn't be using the slur, especially since he's not a part of the community. I understand why it offends some of you and I think your feelings and disagreements are valid.

I also think that in the context of the song it reads as sincere and honest. He has said that word before, and I sort of appreciate him going fully explicit with it in all of its ugliness rather than trying to mask it as 'f - word'. It's an artistic statement, yes it is messy and it makes people uncomfortable, but it comes from a place of his personal truth and growth, and to me there's something endearing about him being able to talk about it openly, especially since his audience is mostly other cishet people.

This is actually a way of bringing those conversations to people who otherwise might not be receptive to your arguments. Not everyone lives online or in liberal cities, there are entire communities where people use the f - word as an insult very casually. You won't reach them if all you can do is chastise, people don't like when others moralise them.

Edited by John Slayne

Listening to the song for the first time and wtf, this is beautiful. The ******* pearl clutching. 

If you're not a ****** and you have not lived the ****** life or faced discrimination faggots experience on the daily, you can't ******* say the ***. PERIOD.

3 minutes ago, Saljju said:

If you're not a ****** and you have not lived the ****** life or faced discrimination faggots experience on the daily, you can't ******* say the ***. PERIOD.

Its so much more than just saying the word ******. Like did you even listen to the song? 

• ATRL Moderator

Yeah, he shouldn't have used the word.  Even if the context wasn't bad.  I'm honestly surprised he released this.

I think people are misunderstanding the last few lines. He's telling straight black people who use the word ****** that if you're gonna continue you need to allow a white woman to say the n word. 

2 hours ago, paulie said:

if this thread was about somebody using the n* slur it def wouldn't have got as much hype. Again gay men feel the need to insert themselves into everything, woohoo a rap artist that 90% of atrl don't listen to said the f* slur

Go get your salty self complain somewhere else. ATRL is predominantly gays, we're gonna respond to what offended us and rightfully.

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

ATRL is a pop culture forum centered around pop music. Obviously celebrity news is going to get more attention. Shireen Abu Akleh's murder is tragic and unacceptable, but I just find this type of moralizing on ATRL a bit odd.

Exactly this. What a dumb post. :rip:

3 minutes ago, CovalentBondage said:

Its so much more than just saying the word ******. Like did you even listen to the song? 

His execution of making his point across is done poorly.

I've kind of changed my thoughts after a few listens, honestly. I actually think the deadnames & pronouns in the song are quite messy, more so than the use of the f-slur. It's not because I think those things are too offensive or that he can't say them in any context - rather, he doesn't seem to have a complete understanding of the issues & identities. I get what he was trying to embody. I get that the message of the song is in the right direction.

I don't think Kendrick should be attacked too much. I just don't think this song helps us. :celestial5:

18 minutes ago, Harrier said:

I don't think Kendrick should be attacked too much. I just don't think this song helps us. :celestial5:

Lol, this song is huge for progress. Yeah, there are ignorant bits that do not meet the expectations of politically correct LGBT people, but Kendrick is not striving to speak on that wave length. He's speaking positively of LGBT on the wave length of the common person who isn't up to date with the rule book.

Inspiring change is not accomplished reaching out from high above, it is won reaching out from where people are currently standing. For that reason, it will have an enormous positive influence. Those lashing Kendrick for this beautiful piece of art are the only ones holding us back here. 

15 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Yeah, he shouldn't have used the word.  Even if the context wasn't bad.  I'm honestly surprised he released this.

This kind of pearl clutching is why progress and understanding is sorely lacking in todays society, I’m sorry I just had to say it 

Listening to the song now. He didn’t use the word offensively at all.

of course the white gays that don’t listen to rap music outside of doja cat think this is offensive.

mind you doja has had a scandal with the *** herself but :mandown:

10 minutes ago, americanlife said:

Listening to the song now. He didn’t use the word offensively at all.

He's gonna have stadiums full of hetero cis people screaming a homophobic slur 4 times in a row.

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

of course the white gays that don’t listen to rap music outside of doja cat think this is offensive.

mind you doja has had a scandal with the *** herself but :mandown:

!

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

I just don’t see the brilliance in a song where a cishet man pats himself on the back for growing out of using homophobic slurs by… using homophobic slurs.

:clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Bears01 said:

This kind of pearl clutching is why progress and understanding is sorely lacking in todays society, I’m sorry I just had to say it 

It's not "pearl clutching" just to say that some words shouldn't be said:michael:  I'm not saying he should be cancelled or anything but yeah.