Kendrick uses F-slur in song

favorite crime

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I'm going to distinguish and seperate the majority of fans of Kendrick and Eminem in response to this argument in invoking intention.

Maybe that's willfully naive on my end, but as someone that remembers the entire Eminem controversy at its peak like it was yesterday (with the forced Elton John apology whose a hack anyways that performed at Rush Limbaugh's wedding so it was relatively useless) I'm more likely to take Kendrick at his word on storytelling and trust his fans - any that would do this he wouldn't want as fans to begin with compared to peak Eminem who dismissed everything he'd said and done as trolling, including from his fans - the living embodiment of Woodstock '99 who never left some rape frat mentally. :coffee2: 

Eminem fans (from past experience at his peak in the early 2000s) I'm much more likely to give little to no benefit of the doubt whether black or white - I'm also more likely to think of them as sociopaths compared to Kendrick's. In a heartbeat. 

I honestly don’t know anything about him, so I can’t comment on his fanbase. But you have to remember that a lot of artists have casual listeners who wouldn’t necessarily be classed as being a fan, but can enjoy a song by an artist if they hear it. Those people are the ones who will hear the f slur and think it’s ‘funny’ to sing a long to it. Like I said, regardless of his intent, he could have approached this topic without having to repeatedly use that word. 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

• Hephaestus

• Joey Coco

• Vermillion

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Dephira said:

he did get temporarily 

You typing this and lacking the self-awareness that you're proving the point that there are no material consequences for white celebrities when using the n-word. :skull:

This is even further illustrated when you just have to look at Macklemore who said ****** in Same Love, the same song peaking as a Top 15 hit and being celebrated as "woke rap".

So if white straight rappers can use homophobic slurs when trying to empower LGBT people without material consequences, and white singers can use racial slurs against black people without material consequences, what exactly again are you claiming Kendrick Lamar is getting away with that others can't?

It's much easier to say you're a conservative fighting an imagined culture war over wokeness because you resent that it's culturally taboo now to use racial slurs than trying to pretend you're talking about anything real and material. 

Edited by Communion

3 minutes ago, Joey Coco said:

Demetrius is Mary-Ann now
Church, his auntie is a man now, it hurt
He the most 'cause his belief was close to his words
Forcing me to stand now
I said "Mr. Preacher man, should we love thy neighbor?
The laws of the land or the heart, what's greater?
I recognize the study she was taught since birth
But that don't justify the feelings that my cousin preserved"
The building was thinking out loud, bad angel
That's when you looked at me and smiled, said "Thank you"
The day I chose humanity over religion
The family got closer, it was all forgiven
I said them F-bombs, I ain't know any better
Mistakenly I didn't think you'd know any different
See, I was taught words was nothing more than a sound
If everything was pronounced without any intentions
The very second you challenge the **** I was kicking
Reminded me about a show I did out the city
That time I brung a fan on stage to rap
But disapproved the word that she couldn't say with me
You said "Kendrick, ain't no room for contradiction
To truly understand love, switch position
'******, ******, ******,' we can say it together
But only if you let a white girl say '*****'"

:jonny:

What does this verse mean to you? @Hephaestus

34 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

He got so much backlash that he ended up becoming the best selling rapper ever is the point? He's the biggest rapper ever so a few protests do no balance out the rest when looking at what yall are offended at. Rappers have protests against them all the time over everything, that's hardly a representation of anything especially for how often he's used it. How is his use of the word ok but Kendrick's isn't? 

He's not receiving half the backlash because he didn't build a career off of saying it either like Em lol 

I've never seen glaad protest as fiercely as they did with Eminem, and it's funny, because during the 90's and early 00's all the hip hip artists used the *** without any kind of problem. And many of them have also made quite despicable statements in real life about the LGTBQ community.

Btw it's not the first time that Kendrick use the ***

he shouldn't say it but its great that a male artist as big and respected as him is making a song like this

I don't care about the context, I don't like hearing that word coming out of any straight person's mouth period.

1 minute ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

You mean the part in the song where he says that its bad that he used it because he wasnt gay?

Nah, the part where he uses the slur 10 times :coffee2:

8 hours ago, Mike91 said:

A rapper on his level, making a pro-LGBTQ+ song, with the type audience he has, is kind of a big deal. Meanwhile, here's ATRL finding a way to turn it into a negative. 

This :clap3: White gays are so embarrassing.

Just now, Planet Mars said:

Eminem was saying it back I guess when it was still not something you'd be cancelled over, but Kendrick is actually using here endearingly.

I have no issue with the usage of it. But I see why some have an issue with it. It's controversy at the end of the day, and that sells.

I'm not making any hard conclusions about intention without hearing from Kendrick first, as I'm actually curious what he'll say, as he actually strikes me as somewhat intelligent. 

Eminem pulled the wool over critics eyes for a decade into thinking being an avatar for angry white teenaged men was a revelation and his entire career has been as a giant troll. I quite frankly don't give a **** about anything he has to say, past, current, or future. Period. 

• ATRL Moderator

I get that it is for the sake of empowerment and social critique but I don’t know if it was wholly necessary for him to say it if he is straight.

Im not like angry or upset by it, more perplexed why it needed to be said when it could have been avoided while keeping the theme of the song intact. But yeah, I’m not like outraged 

The outrage in here is going to make me anti-sjw just of spite :bibliahh:

Just say the song isn’t for you and move on with your life.

Edited by Pheromosa

21 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

Because Kendrick doesnt use it for shock value like Em. Thats the comparison, the entire layer of context is missing for some of you.

Em rarely has anything useful to say when mentioning gay people whereas Kendrick is doing the opposite. 

Kendrick actually saying the word is shock value ?

1 minute ago, Yuanyu said:

I've never seen glaad protest as fiercely as they did with Eminem, and it's funny, because during the 90's and early 00's all the hip hip artists used the *** without any kind of problem. And many of them have also made quite despicable statements in real life about the LGTBQ community.

Eminem was the bigger rapper at the time so it makes sense. The controversy about Hip-hop has always been the use of the N-word, which Eminem obviously could've never gotten away with :rip:

The issue also includes Eminem disrupting a gay marriage in a music video too you know, especially cause you could audibly here an "eeugh" while he did it. :rip:

This getting 15+ threads lmao :ahh: 

20 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

People do have a right to feel uncomfortable when hearing a straight cisgender man sing the *** multiple times in a song - I was a little iffy when I first saw tweets of the lyrics - but after just listening to the song in full it has a great message and story and I can see why the word was used in full. 

Agreed. 

3 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

What does this verse mean to you? @Hephaestus

Again, if he understands that he shouldn't have used that word before, why is he using it again? :coffee2:

The song can be meaningful but still contain offensive lyrics. Both things can be true, that's what you're failing to understand despite several users explaining this to you.

3 minutes ago, Communion said:

You typing this and lacking the self-awareness that you're proving the point that there are no material consequences for white celebrities when using the n-word. :skull:

This is even further illustrated when you just have to look at Macklemore who said ****** in Same Love, the same song peaking as a Top 15 hit and being celebrated as "woke rap".

So if white straight rappers can use homophobic slurs when trying to empower LGBT people without material consequences, and white singers can use racial slurs against black people without material consequences, what exactly again are you claiming Kendrick Lamar is getting away with that others can't?

It's much easier to say you're a conservative fighting an imagined culture war over wokeness than trying to pretend you're talking about anything real and material. 

Drag it :skull: 

Some people in here are just making a fool of themselves. 

he didn't need to say it 10 times :rip: 

5 minutes ago, Yuanyu said:

footage of lgbt people protesting violent homophobic lyrics captioned with clown and laughing emojis :rip: 

8 minutes ago, Communion said:

It's much easier to say you're a conservative fighting an imagined culture war over wokeness because you resent that it's culturally taboo now to use racial slurs than trying to pretend you're talking about anything real and material. 

Girl... I responded to your post where you stated that people aren't allowed to criticize Kendrick because of some hypothetical other situation... then proceeded to name the Morgan Wallen situation. And when I responded showing how Morgan Wallen did in fact get criticized way more than Kendrick, you resorted to putting words in my mouth (where exactly did I claim that Lamar "is getting away with anything"?) and strawmanning the hell out of my post. But tbh it's my own fault for even responding and expecting anything else. 

Edited by Dephira

I find it kinda weird when people use the word they shouldn’t use when discussing how they shouldn’t use the word…but I guess I’ll take whatever rapper allyship I can get.

30 minutes ago, Dephira said:

I don't even like Morgan Wallen but he has apologized for his use of the word (whether people want to accept his apology or not), he did get temporarily banned from radio stations and playlists, and he donated USD 500k to various black-led groups. Do you expect any of this to happen to Kendrick Lamar? :celestial5:

Yeah because Morgan using racial slurs to deliberately harm someone is the same as Kendrick using the word to communicate his past ignorance and make a pro-LGBTQ+ song /s

Context and intention are everything. If you're so headstrong about this, start critiquing your own fav who has used words like 'ch*lo' to represent Latinx people in BTW and continues to do so every time she sings that **** live. Until then, stay out of Kendrick's business.

5 minutes ago, Jay-El said:

This getting 15+ threads lmao :ahh: 

Agreed. 

Never catch a break. :bibliahh:

1 minute ago, R.E.M. said:

Context and intention are everything. 

Such as the context of me responding to another user's post and quoting his words? I guess that subtle context was lost on you. I actually never criticized any of the artists, so I'm not sure what you're getting out of making up **** and dragging Gaga into this, who isn't even my fave, but congrats on that "drag" of yours I guess? 

Edited by Dephira

14 minutes ago, Cutthroat said:

I honestly don’t know anything about him, so I can’t comment on his fanbase. But you have to remember that a lot of artists have casual listeners who wouldn’t necessarily be classed as being a fan, but can enjoy a song by an artist if they hear it. Those people are the ones who will hear the f slur and think it’s ‘funny’ to sing a long to it. Like I said, regardless of his intent, he could have approached this topic without having to repeatedly use that word. 

But where will this path ultimately lead them? How come them hearing *** in the media by someone else is just okay but them hearing it in a song with CLEAR context isn't? Even if it does go over their head at first at some point, if it created such a deep connection with them and the word *** then when they inevitably look that song up, they'll realize what they were singing along to the entire time. Which wasn't in support of them just using it for no reason. Kids sing lyrics to songs they dont fully know all the time esp in pop music. Why do you need the upmost clarity from rap when the genre is known for being more nuanced than most? How come its okay to be lead down a path of "ahh okay I didn't know this song is about the misuse of sex!".  and not "ahh okay I didn't know this song is about the misuse of words!". 

Whether people look over the context(this thread) or take it out of context, the message is still the same.

Edited by BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

1 minute ago, R.E.M. said:

Yeah because Morgan using racial slurs to deliberately harm someone is the same as Kendrick using the word to communicate his past ignorance and make a pro-LGBTQ+ song /s

Context and intention are everything. If you're so headstrong about this, start critiquing your own fav who has used words like 'ch*lo' to represent Latinx people in BTW and continues to do so every time she sings that **** live. Until then, stay out of Kendrick's business.

:clap3: