Kendrick uses F-slur in song

favorite crime

I don't think he should've said it, as he's not a member of the LGBT community or a gay male, and I worry a lot of his fans are going to normalize themselves using that word, despite the earnest message behind the song.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

• Hephaestus

• Joey Coco

• Vermillion

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, flower moon said:

Is you fave a flop? is he not perpetuating the use of a highly offensive homophobic slur to millions globally? Locally? or..?

:celestial:

But what data do you have that suggests that everyone has misunderstood the song and is acting off of it? You keep talking about scenarios you don't have proof of? Evidence? That invisible strawman you have will never get acknowledged in reality. Realize that. 

No one should use it for any reason. Gay people included. I feel the same about the n-word. 

55 minutes ago, Billionaire said:

Why are straights even putting their input into this lmao :toofunny3:

Because straight people exist with gay people. Is that offensive to you? 

3 minutes ago, Bussea said:

y’all defend usage of the n word and claim it’s not a big deal and just a word, so why is this one? :heart: I thought y’all liked slurs? atleast this wasn’t in a negative context :heart:

and the fact that they were just recently openly thirsting over the white supremacist madison cawthorne whose party is actively engaged in anti-lgbt legislation that will do actual harm to the community, but a rapper saying the word ****** is the end of the world apparently :lmao:

2 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

Of course people are allowed to criticize it but to act like this African American rapper isn't trying to touch on something that str8s don't even care about is nothing short of pathetic. You understand the song, that's fine but what about understanding the context of it? There's an entire layer of social context that is slipping over all of your heads but that's fine. Those who the message is really for will receive it anyway. Sometimes songs might include slurs, why? Because it's the truth. Would yall have rather him say that they didn't say it back then? He clearly is referencing it now because he's speaking on what they thought was cool back then and that its not domething he does now anyway. If thats something breaks your trust with him then ok? That diesnt mean the context has changed at all? If anything it sounds like you need tougher skin to realize he isnt calling you that? Hes talking about a time where he thought saying it was cool unknowingly hurting his friends and family in the process? Movie directors like Tarantino can shamelessly add ****** to the script of his most iconic movie Pulp Fiction for no educational purposes ... at all but that won't spark leagues of people saying it? Where is the outrage there? Why is it easier to get angy at this black man speaking on his experience in a serious tone where its obiois he isnt joking about anything? The film script that tarantino has isnt there because of his experiences he just added jut because. It's like getting angry at a documentary because it mentions a slur at some point as opposed to placing that anger at a cheap snl type of show who just cashes in on the humor of the word. The delivery may not be the best but understand the context. Every rap song that means anything has one. In hip hop you unapologetically speak on your experiences and Kendrick will never water that down for you. 

Are you ok with people singing the n-word even if they're not black? Yes or no.

I can appreciate the song being close to his experience, but a smart person would know that their words will have an impact on people, especially when it's repeated several times in a song. If he's a genius lyricist as someone said, surely he would've found out another way to make his point come across without using the slur.

Also, you're bringing examples from times where certain slurs were (somewhat) accepted. Let's keep this conversation in 2022.

9 minutes ago, anklebiterrs said:

No one should use it for any reason. Gay people included. I feel the same about the n-word. 

This is what some people are failing to understand :cm:

29 minutes ago, ToMmY said:

Some gays need to stop celebrating Pride and start celebrating DIGNITY.

This ? The users in here angrily defending him

35 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Are you ok with people singing the n-word even if they're not black? Yes or no.

I can appreciate the song being close to his experience, but a smart person would know that their words will have an impact on people, especially when it's repeated several times in a song. If he's a genius lyricist as someone said, surely he would've found out another way to make his point come across without using the slur.

Also, you're bringing examples from times where certain slurs were (somewhat) accepted. Let's keep this conversation in 2022.

What does the first part have to do with anything? I'm okay with history so..

Secondly it's not about him being a genius lyricist, he's documenting what actually happened. He's not trying to show off his rapping skills here instead trying to share a moment that he obviously felt weird about.  Why would he replace the word if that is what he used? Why is it that you can accurately identify that this song is about hindsight but insist of saying that the uneducated people will run with it? Like they run with anything else? Thats hardly a reason tontell someone of color that they should change their expereince because they exist? People are going to misuse things all the time but that doesn't mean the history of it needs to change. Why does his art need to conform to your ideals when he isn't subscribed to your lifestyle or one that is harmful to you? Instead he's trying to educate his community on how contradictory it is that they say ***. Like?

Edited by BILLIONAIRE✘BOY

16 minutes ago, blaggot said:

and the fact that they were just recently openly thirsting over the white supremacist madison cawthorne whose party is actively engaged in anti-lgbt legislation that will do actual harm to the community, but a rapper saying the word ****** is the end of the world apparently :lmao:

the jokes truly write themselves :ahh:

21 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

Because straight people exist with gay people. Is that offensive to you? 

So do white people with black people and are often told not to butt in because they do not understand their experiences? (which I agree) then why should any straight person have a say in what the experiences or problems of an lgtb person are. Or a man on woman's issues for that matter

What a dumb argument

Edited by Cloudy

I'm not too caught up on words cause I'm not american, but this free for all homophobia that is plaguing the internet - the real world is already homophobic - is getting on my nerves. And it makes straight men like Kendrick too confortable to throw around the *** word with no consequence. Feels like we're going backwards. 

Ironic homophobia is still homophobia. Straights always had their gay jokes, but some gays push so hard I'm starting to think there is something wrong with them idk. They ridicule their own and for what? I cringe reading some people's tweets; no self respect, a lot of self loathing. I can't relate with this generation of gays. 

End of rant. :coffee2:

Edited by chhalamars

8 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

So do white people with black people and they are told to not butt in because they do not understand their experiences? (which I agree) then why should any straight person have a say in what the experience or problems of an lgtb person are. Or a man on woman's issues for that matter

What a dumb argument

And yet Kendrick still had experience to speak on because someone in his family was LGBT? He still lives on a planet with gay men and women so yes his experiences are valid. That's like saying white people should never speak on anything involving black people? How do you expect to have the support of other communities if you limit their freedom of speech especially when they are trying to support you? No community is monolithic so the rules you set for all of them just because you don't agree with some will always be wrong. That's the same idea that reinforces racism itself. So no your logic is painly flawed and will always be. In a world where you'd want men to only speak on men and women to only speak on women they you'd have just men controlling everything...like they did already... That's not even something you can ask morally of someone. Should I ignore the racism my neighbor is experiencing because we are of different races? 

Dumbest argument I've seen in a while..

I appreciate the message and his intentions but yea he didn’t have to say the actual slur. Luckily we live in the digital era so he can edit it.

I can already see the homophobes using this as an audio on Twitter and pass it off as joking ddd

1 minute ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

And yet Kendrick still had experience to speak on because someone in his family was LGBT? He still lives on a planet with gay men and women so yes his experiences are valid. That's like saying white people should never speak on anything involving black people? How do you expect to have the support of other communities if you limit their freedom of doeech especially when they are trying to support you? No community is monolithic so the rules you set for all of them just because you don't agree with some will always be wrong. That's the same idea that reinforces racism itself. So no your logic is painly flawed and will always be..

Dumbest argument I've seen in a while..

The point is if his non black listeners are expected to censor themselves (as it's expected from them and as he wants), so should he, same logic. I don't care what story or experience he is trying to convey or express, not a gay man, don't say the word as simple as that. He is allowed to speak his mind without saying the damn slur.

If you aren't bothered, fine, but don't tell others how they should react or feel about him saying the word.

Not all, but some people should just be honest that they're not actually mad at Kendrick's (objectively clumsy) usage of ****** and just be forthright that they are actually just resentful over their own imagined 'imbalances' in social justice and have a hatred of perceived ~wokeness~. You see it in the nonsense hypotheticals of "what if someone did x???".

White singers who use racial slurs unapologetically already do not face material consequences, so what kind of question is "what if a white person used racial slurs to be pro-racial justice???"? :toofunny3: Morgan Wallen's album is about to be 4x Platinum and he continues to be platformed by his industry at large. What do you imagine Kendrick is "getting away with" that would not be allowed in these hypothetical scenarios you're dreaming of where the shoe is on the other foot?

Of course people should be able to discuss if the style of story-telling was effective or not to conveying the intended message (especially queer black people - they out of anyone should not be silenced for how they feel over his usage and choices here). But attempted gotchas and hypotheticals seen in this thread display a deep reactionary hatred more aimed at social justice as a field and rhetoric before anything else, and some people should just be straight-forward. 

Again a black man who is known for his anti-prejudice rap music, who is speaking accurately and truthfully on his experiences is somehow the worst man ever when he's obviously saying it's something he was mislead to do? But he shouldn't share it because people who misuse everything and anything will damage the songs meaning? Why would that be his fault? Why is Eminem who is known for his slurs about the gay community not held to the same standard and his the best selling rapper of all time? Why can he just say *** and its okay but when Kendrick consciously speaks about it yall are scared? 

I guess I can appreciate the perceived message behind the song, but it goes without saying he absolutely fumbled the execution and I fear we’re going to be scapegoated for his decline because he chose when he was bereft of creative ability to stand in support of us and trans people. :biblio:

Why do oppressors like to say slurs that much? trash

14 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

What does the first part have to do with anything? I'm okay with history so..

It’s for… Research purposes :gaycat2:

So are you ok with people singing the n-word even if they're not black, yes or no?

16 minutes ago, BILLIONAIRE✘BOY said:

Secondly it's not about him being a genius lyricist, he's documenting what actually happened. He's not trying to show off his rapping skills here instead trying to share a moment that he obviously felt weird about.  Why would he replace the word if that is what he used? Why is it that you can accurately identify that this song is about hindsight but insist of saying that the uneducated people will run with it? Like they run with anything else? Thats hardly a reason tontell someone of color that they should change their expereince because they exist? People are going to misuse things all the time but that doesn't mean the history of it needs to change. Why does his art need to conform to your ideals when he isn't subscribed to your lifestyle or one that is harmful to you? Instead he's trying to educate his community on how contradictory it is that they say *** is. Like?

What you’re missing is that he’s using the word now, in 2022 and people will sing it, whether they understand the meaning of the song or not. So, in this context, it’s his responsibility to be careful about the words and content he puts out. No one is asking him to rewrite history.

1 minute ago, Hephaestus said:

It’s for… Research purposes :gaycat2:

So are you ok with people singing the n-word even if they're not black, yes or no?

What you’re missing is that he’s using the word now, in 2022 and people will sing it, whether they understand the meaning of the song or not. So, in this context, it’s his responsibility to be careful about the words and content he puts out. No one is asking him to rewrite history.

and the joke will forever be on them singing a verse that they actually dont know (like how everyone is angry in here that he used it all, and not his delivery of it). People take things out of context all the time, why does any artist of any time have to conform to that when you know that isnt their message anyway? Why does he have to go through all of this while other artists who just use it for the sake of using it are held to less

I totally get what he was going for and I appreciate his intentions and the message of the song but the execution was really really really bad in my opinion.

Was it homophobic? I don't think so because he intention wasn't really calling anyone the *** like Eminem or some other rappers did before. He was basically telling a story and acknowledging the hypocrisy in being angry about non black people using the n word yet still using the f slur.

Could he have kept it? Absolutely because I believe the song could have had the same exact punch without repeating f*ggot like 9? times..that was too much and kinda asking for lashings.

I'm sorry but something about his straight fans saying the word repeatedly (or chanting it at concerts) doesn't sit right with me. And I've already seen jokes with the sound from local straight boys. :katie:

The MENTAL GYMNASTICS in this thread from both people angrily defending him and those comparing it to a white person saying the n word are too much though

And I think you should be allowed to use whatever verbiage your community allows you = the same thing Kendrick is addressing in the song.

In fact thats the entire point, them saying the n word is fine because they are black...but it wasn't cool that they kept saying *** because they weren't gay thats why it was hypocritical of him when he got angry at the white girl saying the n word because he used to say *** back then.. tldr version of the song..right there

Thats his entire point actually lol

So if a certain country artist addresses his racism in a song apologizing for using the N-word and says the word again in that song, is that ok for you? :celestial5:

His intentions are good but he shouldn't have said that word. Period.

I can see his straight fans using that word over and over again :skull: