Halsey reveals new diagnoses

VOSS

7e834d74-ef53-4c15-955e-12fba65a7400-edi

Halsey is opening up about receiving a slew of new health diagnoses after previously informing fans they had spent time in the hospital.

“My health has changed a lot since I got pregnant and gave birth," the singer, whose pronouns are she/her and they/them, said in a series of Instagram Story videos posted Tuesday. In the video, they wore a heart monitor and said they didn't want fans to worry.

"I started getting really, really, really sick. I've been kind of sick most of my adult life, but it started getting really bad (after giving birth)," Halsey continued, noting she is "allergic to literally everything" and was hospitalized for anaphylaxis. 

The singer saw "100,000 doctors" before getting diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, per Mayo Clinic, is a "group of inherited disorders that affect your connective tissues — primarily your skin, joints and blood vessel walls." Sjogren's syndrome is an immune system disorder often accompanied by others, usually identified through dry eyes and a dry mouth. 

MCAS is a condition that "causes mast cells to release an inappropriate amount of chemicals into your body" and can cause allergies and a wide range of other symptoms, according to WebMD. POTS is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system, which "regulates functions we don’t consciously control, such as heart rate, blood pressure, sweating and body temperature,", according to Johns Hopkins Medicine.  

The artist previously described their fourth studio album, "If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power," as a "concept album about the joys and horrors of pregnancy and childbirth."

Now preparing to tour the album, Halsey is on a treatment plan while rehearsing, and says the concept has evolved beyond pregnancy and post-partum to dealing with other health struggles: "I have a lot of angst and a lot of energy and a lot of confusion I want to get out onstage." 

Source

I admire her for pushing through and still living her life.

I hope she keeps taking care of their health

Health issues are scary. Props to her still wanting to tour.

she's a trooper for still working and touring with all these health problems. she's rich enough to take a step back and just relax, and yet she's still doing all these. all the shady comments are so tacky and out of line, this is not 2015 anymore

She looks amazing in the picture. 

OT: hope she stays healthy and work within her limits, stay safe queen!

She’s really going for the gauntlet

Those are ******* horrible to deal with! Take care of yourself queen ❤️

Sidenote: Autoimmune diseases are so bizarre / intriguing to me. Manageable for some, but incapacitating or sometimes fatal for others. I have a friend recently diagnosed with RA and so far it's been rather mild. He seems to be able to live a normal life. One of my co-workers has SLE (Lupus) and she's being frequently hospitalized when she flares, is on steroids, gets her blood "cleaned" every few months. In between the flares though it's like she's completely normal. What even causes people to get them? 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

1 hour ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Those are ******* horrible to deal with! Take care of yourself queen ❤️

Sidenote: Autoimmune diseases are so bizarre / intriguing to me. Manageable for some, but incapacitating or sometimes fatal for others. I have a friend recently diagnosed with RA and so far it's been rather mild. He seems to be able to live a normal life. One of my co-workers has SLE (Lupus) and she's being frequently hospitalized when she flares, is on steroids, gets her blood "cleaned" every few months. In between the flares though it's like she's completely normal. What even causes people to get them? 

All autoimmune means is that the body is attacking itself by mistake. It's a "normal" immune response against an invader/pathogen, only instead of the body actually targeting a pathogen, the immune system is targeting the body's own cells. There is no one "cause" necessarily, some of them are linked to genetic inheritance, some can arise from previous infections, other environmental factors, etc. That's why it's still a very active area of research because determining links helps later plan treatment plans and possible preventative intervention. It's similar to cancer in that way, there can be a number of different factors that give the possibility of an autoimmune disease forming.

Edited by Headlock

3 hours ago, getback said:

she's a trooper for still working and touring with all these health problems. she's rich enough to take a step back and just relax, and yet she's still doing all these. all the shady comments are so tacky and out of line, this is not 2015 anymore

this

Glad she was diagnosed properly, hope with the right treatment she will get better :heart:

Thankfully she has access to the best care in the world. I hope she's taking it easy on herself.

Her doctors diagnosing her were like,

As someone also with autoimmune disorders I really feel for her :heart: :cries:

7 hours ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

Even her diseases are niche

:rip:

Get well soon queen! :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.