Elizabeth Olsen annihilates Obsessed Marvel Haters

nostalgia

6 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

How?

She openly admits that the acting is catered to the genre, but demonstrates tremendous sympathy for the countless individuals who make up the crew. They are putting in a lot of work, hundreds of hours and on tight timelines. She made several points. It's one thing not to like this franchise, but to disrespect the crew (many of which work on numerous other projects independent of Marvel) is crass and misinformed.

Perhaps instead of devaluing a woman advocating for the grips, the gaffers, the designers, the editors, the PAs, etc. we should be supporting her message.

If I say McDonald’s is bad is that diminishing the work of their thousands of employees? 

4 minutes ago, VOSS said:

If I say McDonald’s is bad is that diminishing the work of their thousands of employees? 

Yes, because McDonald's isn't mean to be haute cuisine, it's mean to be fast food at it's undeniably the best at it. How on earth did you think this was a gotcha moment? :deadbanana2:

3 minutes ago, Katy V.! said:

Yes, because McDonald's isn't mean to be haute cuisine, it's mean to be fast food at it's undeniably the best at it. How on earth did you think this was a gotcha moment? :deadbanana2:

:ahh:

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, VOSS said:

They aren't bringing the product to fruition, they are distributing it. Did you really think this analogy would work?

We're talking about hundreds of crew members making something from a script, highly skilled, highly valued, and highly overlooked. And yes when it comes to art there is a difference. If I said a group project was bad without taking into consideration the intricacies of each individual member for the sake of devaluing the product as a whole, I think it's fair to say I would be misinformed and unnecessarily judgmental. The problem with these grand statements is their lack of specificity. Critique the scripts, critique the direction all you want but discrediting everything Marvel is just because you don't like the films is insulting. It's also unfounded. There is plenty of artistry in those films that lie in the background. The set pieces, the editing, and the technology. How hard is it to critique something specifically instead of making grandiose statements that put down so many hard working individuals. Crews are already under appreciated, their achievements aren't even seen as newsworthy, but that doesn't mean they aren't. They deserve to be respected and seen as keystone instead of as an afterthought. 

yeah atrlers WOULD know about unsophisticated entertainment products designed for the lowest common denominator to make the most profit possible :cm:

the lack of self-awareness is comical

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, VOSS said:

I don't want to be presumptuous, but do you work in entertainment? I'm genuinely asking because if you don't then you might not fully understand how much of a behemoth feature film making is. And if you do work in entertainment, then I assume you know just how much work these artists are putting into their projects. Why are you so averse to advocating for them? Marvel has given some of my closest friends art-direction and editing jobs. I've seen how inclusive an environment they can create. Why are you purposefully perpetuating the idea that everything they do is subpar?

God, you're making me sound like a Marvel fan-boy :toofunny2: I apologize if my tone has been forward, but as someone who has worked in film for over five years now, it really gets on my nerves when people actively discredit and diminish the work crewmembers do.

19 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

She admits that the films are not attempting to be indie-art projects, she's not saying these films need to be considered the pinnacle of art, but that devaluing the countless hours that hundreds of overlooked crew members do for a quick headline, or to act superior (as if the critical directors haven't made their own fair share of bombs and flops) is hypocritical and preserving a perverse ideology that 'true film' can only be of a certain variety.

I love Marvel, but I don't think every single one of their films is great. That being said, I have a lot of admiration for the crews that bring these stories to fruition. When you criticize a franchise with little to no nuance it is a slap in the face to each and every person who worked on those projects. And newsflash, not every crew member working in Hollywood has the same opportunities and they shouldn't be made to feel less than just because some director thinks so.

Precisely my thoughts. Most of the criticism coming from these directors are based on their resentment for their "art" flopping in the box office.

It's absurd because a lot of these arty type of films are clearly pandering for Oscar buzz, and not for general media consumption. Different speeds for different tastes. But at least Marvel isn't being hypocritically pretentious.  :cm: 

It's a redundant argument really, the Marvel phenomenon is not a new thing, artistic cinema and entertainment cinema have long existed and will always exist. To go after one or the other is really pretentious; both are entirely valid, serve their own purpose and are actually beneficial to each other ultimately. There are no losers. Watch whatever you want. Who the hell cares beyond that?

Marvel is the McDonald's of the film industry but pop off sis

This makes zero sense. We don’t “praise”employees from Mcdonalds for their fries being good.

people hate when something is popular. that's just how things will always be. Marvel has some Banger's and created a Cinematic universe other studios can only dream of having:coffee2:

Queen is right and should say it!

I mean, not everyone can be acclaimed and Oscar winning masterpiece like Joker. This is why DC is winning over Marvel!

Yeah there's no need to belittle superhero movies. There's tons of people involved in creating that movie and it would be so disrespectful to them.

She's right but she's also not. 

If the film is successful the crew will have jobs. Its OK to say you care about the reviews sis :bam:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.