Update: Dem leadership: Abortion will NOT be prioritized over other issues

Communion

22 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

I mean this is a very important  issue but it’s not what most people will care about when voting in November ? 

But we can prioritize and talk about multiple issues at once. This being one. It’s not hard. 

It's literally the only thing Democrats have that they can run on, because they're completely water on the economy: especially when it comes to inflation and gas. And... Democratic leadership are throwing it away on backing the anti-choice Henry Cuellar simply to satisfy an ego trip on blocking another progressive. :skull: 

5 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

It's literally the only thing Democrats have that they can run on, because they're completely water on the economy: especially when it comes to inflation and gas. And... Democratic leadership are throwing it away on backing the anti-choice Henry Cuellar simply to satisfy an ego trip on blocking another progressive. :skull: 

I’m sure 99% of people voting don’t know who Henry Cuellar even is. ?

I do think this is a big issue that could help the Dems in November. But the bill they are gonna vote on (no bill will meet the 60 votes threshold) won’t help them any ?

2 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

I do think this is a big issue that could help the Dems in November. But the bill they are gonna vote on (no bill will meet the 60 votes threshold) won’t help them any ?

I agree. I don't think Schumer's performative nonsense is going to amount to anything either. But what's more important is the fact that they appear to already be drifting away from advocating for abortion rights. Pelosi said it years ago in 2017: that being pro-abortion is harmful to Democratic Party. That indicates to me that they're eventually just going to cut their losses and run from the issue altogether. Clyburn is also just... making it clear here as well. Prioritizing the issue of "voting rights" which is even more dead than abortion rights :skull: 

• ATRL Moderator
29 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Cuellar is one of the highest ranked Democrats in the House and he's very well known in Texas.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:20 PM, ClashAndBurn said:

Joe Manchin is functionally the president,

What, who is even him?

34 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

What, who is even him?

He's a conservative Democratic Senator who has a lot of undue influence over what can possibly pass in a Senate that is divided by a pathetic 50-50 split. This allows him to unilaterally block whatever law he particularly thinks is too liberal, such as the abortion rights bill that failed just now.

Edited by ClashAndBurn

31 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

He's a conservative Democratic Senator who has a lot of undue influence over what can possibly pass in a Senate that is divided by a pathetic 50-50 split. This allows him to unilaterally block whatever law he particularly thinks is too liberal, such as the abortion rights bill that failed just now.

I thought Dems were more liberal-leaning as a majority.

8 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

I thought Dems were more liberal-leaning as a majority.

They're more or less a big tent. Which is generally fine, but inherently has its problems in a 50-50 Senate. In that you can have 49 liberals pushing for environmental policies, but the 1 conservative coal baron (Manchin) holds the deciding vote that will side with the Republicans and ultimately cause everything to fail.

10 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

They're more or less a big tent. Which is generally fine, but inherently has its problems in a 50-50 Senate. In that you can have 49 liberals pushing for environmental policies, but the 1 conservative coal baron (Manchin) holds the deciding vote that will side with the Republicans and ultimately cause everything to fail.

I understand better now, thank you for the clarification.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.