• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Newt

• fauxtography

• AMIT

On 5/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, suburbannature said:

It's hilarious to watch her fans paint her as some sort of Japanese Bjork with an AC-leaning new album just because it's less generic than her others.

Namie will always be the Queen of JPop with a better discography. Her prime run and constant experimentation, phew.

Utada may be slightly overrated in the context of j-pop but her highs are on a different level to namie not to mention she has more consistent albums under her belt too :coffee2: 

OT: Hotel Lobby is better than half of the english speaking pop girl’s best singles let’s not do too much :coffee2:

Edited by DaddyIssuesX

1 minute ago, DaddyIssuesX said:

Utada may be slightly overrated in the context of j-pop but her highs are on a different level to namie not to mention she has more consistent albums under her belt too :coffee2: 

:rip: the blatant lie.

I was obsessed with TITO back in day. Need to revisit that album. Dirty Desire, Mrlerry Christmas Mr Lawrence and On and On were my jams.

This thread was an fun read. :laugh: Makes me miss the days of the old J-Pop Music Forum (can’t remember if that was the exact name) where tea was spilt on the daily…

I’ve been listening to these albums since I was a middle schooler and always wished people knew about Utada in the US so it’s interesting seeing some modern-day reactions :deadbanana:

Namie stan talking about quality :skull:

Anyways Ayu is the only rightful queen of Jpop. Even Times magazine co-approves!

https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,218375,00.html

She outsells Utada and Namie by MILES. 

CSPC-Ayumi-Hamasaki-albums-and-singles-s

LUaXAu1.jpeg

B9pAVxn.png

Official best selling female artists in Oricon Charts (album sales only, doesn't include physical singles): #3, Ayumi Hamasaki (29 Million)

8 million gap between her and Utada (4th) and 11 million with Namie (6th)

the best selling female soloist, and 3rd overall (1st and 2nd are either co-ed groups or girl groups), periodT

If we include CD singles...

TXJ8r72.jpg

Ayumi (2nd) >>>>>>>>> Utada (6th) >>>>>>> Namie (7th)

At 38, Ayumi Hamasaki has the most #1 single in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 25, Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive #1 single in Japan history for a female artist.

At 12 (1999-2010), Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive years with at least one #1 single in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 13 (1999-2011), Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive years with at least one #1 album in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 12,335,000 EAS, LOVEppears is among the top 10 most successful non-English speaking album of all-time.

Edited by sxhunluv

7 hours ago, sxhunluv said:

Anyways Ayu is the only rightful queen of Jpop. Even Times magazine co-approves!

LUaXAu1.jpeg

B9pAVxn.png

Official best selling female artists in Oricon Charts (album sales only, doesn't include physical singles): #3, Ayumi Hamasaki (29 Million)

the best selling female soloist, and 3rd overall (1st and 2nd are either co-ed groups or girl groups), periodT

TXJ8r72.jpg

At 38, Ayumi Hamasaki has the most #1 single in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 25, Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive #1 single in Japan history for a female artist.

At 12 (1999-2010), Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive years with at least one #1 single in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 13 (1999-2011), Ayumi Hamasaki has the most consecutive years with at least one #1 album in Japan history for a female solo artist.

At 12,335,000 EAS, LOVEppears is among the top 10 most successful non-English speaking album of all-time.

Everyone knows Ayumi sold more, but Namie is widely dubbed as the Queen of JPop for the quality and influence of her work. Google is free.

Ayumi has a different title, I believe. Empress or something 

7 hours ago, ONOPKA said:

the namie slander in here :biblio:

lemme bop to Past<Future 

The Namie slander in here is UNACCEPTABLE especially when the Queen is retired and her discography is golden. Also I love Ayumi Hamasaki but she's like Madonna at this point, should've retired ages ago. 

As for Utada, I don't hold these English albums against her because they were bops back in the day. 

I used to be a virgin, now I'm on island DefJam :deadbanana4:

You're eazy breezy and I'm Japanese-y :deadbanana4:

What a day, young boy next door passed away :deadbanana2:

not these lyrics SLAYING me :jonny5:

have to stream their whole discography now

Who said Utada is the Japanese Bjork?

Their music is too tolerable to the ears to even be compared to :doc:

let me go stream legends POL

https://youtu.be/Be11C5RmYoA

13 hours ago, sxhunluv said:

LUaXAu1.jpeg

B9pAVxn.png

TXJ8r72.jpg

Misleading stats. Ayu has more output. If Utada released a single and album every month during her peak the way AVEX had Ayu doing it, she would have obliterated. #4 with comparatively such little output speaks larger volumes about who's actually purchasing her music.

Anyway. We could all argue for days on whether Utada, Ayu or Namie is the "Queen of Japan" but this isn't their thread so I think we should refrain. ?

COmparing utada to bjork is an insult to utada omg

Im not rlly into jpop and had to google who namie is i was so confuse reading this thread

Didn't think the thread will turn into a stanwar :dies:

surprised there are so many hardcore Jpop stans here :eli:

im literally SCREAMING at home I didn’t know they were so messy :ahh:

Iconic :jonny2:

13 hours ago, cyclone said:

COmparing utada to bjork is an insult to utada omg

Im not rlly into jpop and had to google who namie is i was so confuse reading this thread

Namie has a few good songs but she’s not on the same level of artistry as miss Utada legend Hikaru 

4067A7A2-D433-499B-9468-EDAD598F96FA.thu

1 hour ago, youcallingmyname said:

Namie has a few good songs but she’s not on the same level of artistry as miss Utada legend Hikaru 

The blatant lie. Miss Utada could never reach the artistry of Sweet 19 Blues and Concentration 20. 

The way you've only heard Genic or something.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:48 PM, Khal said:

Sounds like a Katy Perry lyric that was translated to another language, then translated back to English.

The accuracy :skull: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.