Does an artist have to be respected to be a legend?

D.M.F

I’d have to say yes. That’s one of the many reasons why Legend X is a legend.

Yes, and it's also the reason why the untalented (congrats again for that silver medal!) Britney Spears is none. 

this obsession is quite concerning :biblio:

Yup which is why Britney is a legend. We love to see it

:clap3:

well many legends have a period where they arent respected or not taken seriously. But people's opinions are just that- opinions. The influence, impact and innovation an artist has should and eventually will speak for themselves so "respect" in the basic term doesnt really matter. 

Yes gaga is a legend!

Yes obviously, hence why you'd use acclaim as a factor to measure an artist's respect within the industry.

Let's see using AcclaimedMusic's method 

1. Beyoncé - Artist rank: #70

2. Rihanna - Artist rank: #173

3. Lady Gaga - Artist rank: #386

4. Britney Spears - Artist rank: #557

5. Christina Aguilera - Artist rank: #1170

source

sounds about right :clap3:

Christina is not a legend. If she is, then Britney is a GOD

OP: Yes, but they also need to have commercial dominance over a long period of time, something the girl listed in the OP did not achieve so she is not one :sorry:

50 minutes ago, D.M.F said:

I’d have to say yes. That’s one of the many reasons why Legend X is a legend.

Interestingly, if you type "Legend X" on Google, there is 0 pictures of Christina Aguilera !

OT: Obviously not ? Madonna is the best example. The gp has never respected her and she literally is the biggest and most influential female artist of all-time. She is considered a legend by the whole world despite that.

Yes.

I mean, how many legends are not also respected?

I think a legend is someone who is notably reputable for having achieved a certain level of talent or innovation in their field. This differs from an icon who symbolizes or represents something in their field: a sound, a genre, a look, etc., mostly for their success with it than for artistic achievement. For example, Chuck Berry is a rock-and-roll legend. Elvis is a rock-and-roll icon.

People do use both interchangeably but I do think there is a difference when you really get down to it that should be outlined. At some point the notoriety of an icon is mistaken for legend-hood, but I do think that for legends in the music industry the easiest way to determine it is if their reputation for what they do precedes them vs. the image or idea of what they did. If a legend (tale) is something that is passed down by worth of mouth from generation to generation, so too must a music legend's name carry that sort of weight. You may not know much about a legend like Aretha Franklin, but you do know that she's respected and important just from the way people talk about her.

But it should be said that a lot of the older icons are also legends because back in the day there was more importance placed on pure talent vs. hits/iconography.

20 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Yes obviously, hence why you'd use acclaim as a factor to measure an artist's respect within the industry.

Let's see using AcclaimedMusic's method 

1. Beyoncé - Artist rank: #70

2. Rihanna - Artist rank: #173

3. Lady Gaga - Artist rank: #386

4. Britney Spears - Artist rank: #557

5. Christina Aguilera - Artist rank: #1170

source

sounds about right :clap3:

:mandown:

11 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Interestingly, if you type "Legend X" on Google, there is 0 pictures of Christina Aguilera !

OT: Obviously not ? Madonna is the best example. The gp has never respected her and she literally is the biggest and most influential female artist of all-time. She is considered a legend by the whole world despite that.

you really think Madonna isn't respected? I think it's more that she has/has had a lot of vocal haters given the controversial nature of her career, but her name does career a caché of respect in pop music.

I think that for a long time, at the time of her release she hasn't been respected but in time people look back and view what she does with a level of awe and respect that befits her title as a legend.

Not all the time.  Not many respected Micheal but his up there.

Guess they just gotta leave a big impact in there life that will be remembered for decades.

yes, they might go through hate phase at some point of their career. But in the end they all are widely respected. 

55 minutes ago, xfreshkidxx said:

Yup which is why Britney is a legend. We love to see it

:clap3:

this everyone respects her in the industry :clap3:

25 minutes ago, swissman said:

you really think Madonna isn't respected? I think it's more that she has/has had a lot of vocal haters given the controversial nature of her career, but her name does career a caché of respect in pop music.

I think that for a long time, at the time of her release she hasn't been respected but in time people look back and view what she does with a level of awe and respect that befits her title as a legend.

Madonna is respected in the music industry for sure but most of the gp doesn't respect her unfortunately.

It depends of what you define as respect. As mentioned above, Madonna isn't respected by the GP, but her talent, impact and influence is totally recognized by her peers.

25 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Guess they just gotta leave a big impact in there life that will be remembered for decades.

Michael is like the MOST respected

even if he has his controversies, artists Still kiss his feet

that's the problem with this question tho...Fans THINK a certain artists is/isn't respected :toofunny3:

(not attacking ya^)

58 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Christina is not a legend. If she is, then Britney is a GOD

OP: Yes, but they also need to have commercial dominance over a long period of time, something the girl listed in the OP did not achieve so she is not one :sorry:

U do NOT have to have had commercial dominance to be a legend in music ?

Thats a HUGE misconception on ATRL.  Its a ton of legends that never dominated Billboard or sold a **** ton of albums ... hell some LEGENDS don't have Grammy's, no.1 albums or no.1 hits and they are still LEGENDARY respected artists. 

U have to play the game to get all of that and not every artist is here for that.

What makes U LEGEND is when your music has stood the test of time, they're influential/Inspirational in they genre and impactful  ... those are some things that makes U a LEGEND and not commercial dominance, awards, sales, streams or anything like that ... that just makes U a successful artist. ??‍♂️

MJ was probably the biggest punch bag for the last 20 years of his careers. He was respected again after his death, but is again receiving a lot of backlash as of recently. 

I would therefore say that one doesn't need to be universally respected to be a legend.

Meanwhile you have artists who are respected, as say, Vanessa Carlton, who will probably never be considered a Legend.

Yes. This is why Tinashe will never need to sell anything. She's a legend just from the respect that we as a community give to her :clap3:

53 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

No they respected MJ musically his disrespect came from The White devil (Tommy Motttola & Sony) trying to destroy him and his image and damn near succeeded. ??‍♂️

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.