Finally joined the Six Figure club!

Gaia

I love seeing normal people succeed :heart: i wish someday i could say i am financially comfortable like you. Congrats :clap3:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gaia

• RideOrDie

• karron0624

• Ampersand13

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Not really. 

You can live perfectly fine earning much less than that in many countries. I earn less than half that and I’m living just fine in London and would be living much better in other parts of the UK. 

Salaries in the U.S are a lot higher than many countries, but when you take into account healthcare costs it kinda evens things up. 

OT: Congrats! :clap3: 

London is one of the most priciest cities in the world. It’s as pricy as New York and San Francisco. And it has nothing to do with healthcare costs. 

I am talking about living comfortably. Meaning you have a 6 months to a years worth of savings where if you were to lose your job you could still live as is until you work again. You can afford to put a down payment on a house. Any emergency could be paid that day in cash not credit. You live comfortably, worry free about bills or anything. Having a 6 figure salary is the bases for a comfortable middle class life. 

Welcome to the club sis!

1 hour ago, Tropez said:

Congrats. Anything about $100k is the only livable wage in most countries. 

this is a lie??? hell you can even live decently in New York or LA for half that if you have no kids. here in Europe people with families can get by with even less as long as they dont live in big cities

OT: congrats gworl, i wish i could make that kinda bread but i'm getting a humanities degree:monkey:

3 hours ago, Gaia said:

We did it kids :jonny:

As a senior citizen (26 yo) I finally bagged a job with a salary of $120k a year with a 10% annual bonus. Life's been super good work wise fortunately for me even though it started off ROUGH.

Graduated college in 2017 with a biology degree and these have been my salaries since:

2017: $20,000/yr (TX) - I was MISERABLE :skull: 

2018: $36,000/yr (CA) - Paycheck to paycheck as my CA is in LA :skull: 

2019: $58,000/yr (CA) - Finally when I could breathe financially and wasn't completely paycheck to paycheck

2020: $72,000/yr (CA) - When I was finally financially comfortable to buy things I wanted without worrying about bills.

2021: $78,000/yr (CA)

2022: $120,000/yr (TX)

The GROWTH :jonny: Time to buy all the Kpop albums from 2017-2019 I skipped out on :jonny5:

The way I was paycheck to paycheck in 2017 :rip: . 

Sis, not your salary doing my same exact growth pattern. Twins!

Edited by karron0624
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Tropez said:

London is one of the most priciest cities in the world. It’s as pricy as New York and San Francisco. And it has nothing to do with healthcare costs. 

I am talking about living comfortably. Meaning you have a 6 months to a years worth of savings where if you were to lose your job you could still live as is until you work again. You can afford to put a down payment on a house. Any emergency could be paid that day in cash not credit. You live comfortably, worry free about bills or anything. Having a 6 figure salary is the bases for a comfortable middle class life. 

It has a lot to do with healthcare, thanks to the NHS  we don’t have to spend thousands on healthcare like Americans do.

I would still say I live comfortably and actually do have a year worth of savings, your statement is very broad and does not apply to everyone. For single people with no family you absolutely do not need to earn 100k a year to live comfortably here, very few people in their 20s or even 30s even make that much in the UK.

As I said top salaries in the US are a lot higher than ones here. 

10 minutes ago, favorite crime said:

this is a lie??? hell you can even live decently in New York or LA for half that if you have no kids. here in Europe people with families can get by with even less as long as they dont live in big cities

OT: congrats gworl, i wish i could make that kinda bread but i'm getting a humanities degree:monkey:

My director at my job has a humanities degree and makes more money than me sis. You can leverage it however you want.

38 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Move to south east coast! I’m from Georgia and it’s not bad there :rip: 

Honestly, the idea of living in an area built only for cars without walkability and quality public transportation just seems like a really sad place to live.  I am much happier, safer, and healthier in my walkable city with plenty of parks, local stores, and restaurants. Though I am considering moving to Philadelphia since it is a less expensive city.   

Congrats sis :clap3:You got $100 i can borrow?

:clap3:

1 hour ago, favorite crime said:

This is a major lie. And anyone who lives in NYC or LA will tell you that. Go and find a one bedroom apartment in those cities that could be affordable for someone who makes half of $100k. You will not find a landlord who will rent you an apartment If you make less than 40x the rent, and have a good savings. So someone who earns $50k will not be able to afford a one bedroom. Will likely have to live paycheck to paycheck. Will not have great savings, and is basically in poverty. 

49 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

It has a lot to do with healthcare, thanks to the NHS  we don’t have to spend thousands on healthcare like Americans do.

I would still say I live comfortably and actually do have a year worth of savings, your statement is very broad and does not apply to everyone. For single people with no family you absolutely do not need to earn 100k a year to live comfortably here, very few people in their 20s or even 30s even make that much in the UK.

As I said top salaries in the US are a lot higher than ones here. 

When you earn over six figures you likely have a job with insurance. And could be able to afford the price after insurance covers the cost. Plus a person in their 20s and 30s would likely be healthy. So they would just pay the monthly health cost. Americans even after paying for insurance still have a higher disposable income than Europeans. The UK isn’t a shinning example of healthcare as the government has been making moves to slowly destroy it. 

That’s great for you. But like I already said, London is one of the most expensive cities. And with the UK leaving the EU the price of everything will likely continue. So yeah, I still do think making over $100k is worthwhile. 

17 minutes ago, Tropez said:

This is a major lie. And anyone who lives in NYC or LA will tell you that. Go and find a one bedroom apartment in those cities that could be affordable for someone who makes half of $100k. You will not find a landlord who will rent you an apartment If you make less than 40x the rent, and have a good savings. So someone who earns $50k will not be able to afford a one bedroom. Will likely have to live paycheck to paycheck. Will not have great savings, and is basically in poverty. 

When you earn over six figures you likely have a job with insurance. And could be able to afford the price after insurance covers the cost. Plus a person in their 20s and 30s would likely be healthy. So they would just pay the monthly health cost. Americans even after paying for insurance still have a higher disposable income than Europeans. The UK isn’t a shinning example of healthcare as the government has been making moves to slowly destroy it. 

That’s great for you. But like I already said, London is one of the most expensive cities. And with the UK leaving the EU the price of everything will likely continue. So yeah, I still do think making over $100k is worthwhile. 

The NHS isn’t going anywhere. :skull: 

Anyway, I’m aware London is expensive as I literally live here and work in Westminster, yes making over $100k is obviously worthwhile but my point remains that you do need to make that much to live comfortably here at all as very few people under 35 even make that much and do just fine.  Most people who actually live in London and have experienced it would not say that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/nzxqou/what_salary_do_you_actually_need_to_live_in_london/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

3 hours ago, karron0624 said:

Sis, not your salary doing my same exact growth pattern. Twins!

Omg sis what’s next for us :jonny: 

2 hours ago, skwonderfactory said:

Congrats sis :clap3:You got $100 i can borrow?

I have Monopoly money :gaycat1:

3 hours ago, liam13 said:

I love seeing normal people succeed :heart: i wish someday i could say i am financially comfortable like you. Congrats :clap3:

Network! Make sure you stay connected with powerful people. My biggest raises came from old colleagues I’ve worked with offering me jobs at new companies.

3 hours ago, xfreshkidxx said:

Congrats :clap3:

3 hours ago, hurricane326 said:

Congratulations! 

Hoping to be in your company as a defense attorney in the near future!

:rip: 

3 hours ago, Domination said:

Welcome to the club sis!

Feels good :jonny: 

3 hours ago, wehavetostan said:

Congratulations! 

3 hours ago, Juanny said:

Congrats!!

Thanks yall! :lakitu:

congrats!! :clap3::clap3:i've definitely been through some of those stepping stones as well. im not in the 6 figure salary range yet, but hoping to one day be. 

what do you do for a living and what's your education level? 

Edited by shinyshimmery

Congrats! :clap3:

I hit this milestone last year at 25 and definitely celebrated since I grew up poor and worked my ass off to get here

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

Omg sis what’s next for us :jonny: 

I have Monopoly money :gaycat1:

So what i did (I graduated in 2016 so I’m exactly one year ahead of you, and my raise and bonus puts me at 150k this year give or take, so putting up vibes you get a raise and are set for 150k next year). First thing you need to do is max out that 401k and max out your roth IRA. I went from $0 to 41k in retirement savings just due to maxing everything out/employer match. If you have federal student loans, take your bonus and deposit it into a savings account. Act like its not even there. That way if we do have to start paying, just dump all that money on it. 

This year (if you just swapped) make sure you put back extra money. I swapped that tax bracket, and I owed like $1500 because of the swap. 

Learn everything you can, and lets see if we can hit 200k in another 2 to 3 years. :eli:

Congrats :heart2: 

I finally joined the club this year, too. I just got my first paycheck and it's weird seeing a much bigger number :rip: I'm in California, so my dollars won't go as far as yours do in TX, but it feels so good to actually be able to treat myself and my family without much thought.

How much do you owe in student loans?

Is $120k a year alot in the states? :rip: I keep watching this millennial money series on YouTube. You guys don't even have a proper health care and pension system. That $120k a year is probably not enough if let's say you got sick and must stay in hospital for a month. 

Congrats tho :hippo:

10 minutes ago, arceus said:

Is $120k a year alot in the states? :rip: I keep watching this millennial money series on YouTube. You guys don't even have a proper health care and pension system. That $120k a year is probably not enough if let's say you got sick and must stay in hospital for a month. 

Congrats tho :hippo:

It's considered middle class income. And yes, it's generally the case that people with high salaries work for companies that offer a comprehensive benefits package, and the company pays for most (and sometimes all) of the medical premium. I only pay $50 a month for good health insurance.

Congrats and welcome to the club!  Glad you can make great use of it in Texas!

200K annual income gets me nowhere great in San Diego as a single man, unfortunately.  

The whole first post basically being a humblebrag. :toofunny3: Congrats though. :hughard:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.