Single artist vs Album artist

NormaniReign

Whats more beneficial in a long run. Having great acclaimed commercially successful albums with moderate hits or consistent smash hits  with moderate album commercial success and acclaim

If you were an artist. Which would you thrive for? You'd rather be Dua lipa or Billie?

DBCD4819-0CBD-4923-9C98-2B11B96C7751.thu

Edited by NormaniReign

Whatever gets you the biggest EAS stat.  Generally having an album focus will get you this, but a big album is a big album.  No one is bad off with a Teenage Dream, Future Nostalgia, Loud, My Everything type era.  

Artists are remembered for their hits and especially now in the streaming era, successful singles are what keep album sales going. 

3 minutes ago, raven said:

Artists are remembered for their hits and especially now in the streaming era, successful singles are what keep album sales going. 

Summer Walker, Lil Durk, Morgan Wallen, J Cole, Post 2019 Taylor swift would like to have a word with you 

1 minute ago, NormaniReign said:

Summer Walker, Lil Durk, Morgan Wallen, J Cole, Post 2019 Taylor swift would like to have a word with you 

I didn't say it was impossible to move albums without a hit single but ask a member of the GP what they know (and like) by Taylor Swift and I assure you they will likely bring up one of her bigger hits. So, I'd rather have those big hits because that's what people are going to remember you by at the end of the day. 

And Summer has hits an r&b listener would recognize. 

Well preferably both. You need big singles to drive albums but you need big albums to fund future singles. If your career is too lopsided, you won't last long. 

Why not both? like Miss Dua Lipa 

Edited by unclefloprry

I would very much rather be a complete flop singles wise but have good album reception, at the end of the day that's what defines whether an artist is having a long spanning career or not 

1 hour ago, wastedpotential said:

Well preferably both. You need big singles to drive albums but you need big albums to fund future singles. If your career is too lopsided, you won't last long. 

well said

Just look at albums from the 90s like Celine's and Mariah's

They sold more than our favs yet most people in the GP can't name a lot of songs from them 

Singles are way more important than albums for legacy & being remembered. Songs make albums. You can't have albums without songs but you can have songs without albums.

Most legends and the biggest pop stars seem to have both so I don’t think one of necessarily better than the other. Personally though, I’d say album as I listen to albums as a whole over quick lil singles. Also it takes more work/creativity/artistry to put together a good album than a good song.

Give me the quick lil singles baby

Album artist. Always.

If you’re a singles artist, after radio stops playing your new music you’re done for.

Album artists have an easier time establishing a fandom, which is the most important thing in the long run.

If you need more evidence, check whose career is doing better now: Avril’s, Xtina’s or Alicia’s. Surprise, surprise, the album artist whose last hit was in 2011.

a solid mix of both, sonically cohesive albums with great singles that mesh together well with the whole body of the album

4 hours ago, raven said:

I didn't say it was impossible to move albums without a hit single but ask a member of the GP what they know (and like) by Taylor Swift and I assure you they will likely bring up one of her bigger hits. So, I'd rather have those big hits because that's what people are going to remember you by at the end of the day. 

And Summer has hits an r&b listener would recognize. 

Lil baby my turn is the perfect example that you don't need singles to be relevant

55 minutes ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

Can you give an example of who is an album artist?

Album artists: Lana, Taylor, Avril, Beyonce, Billie, Olivia, Lorde, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Adele

Singles artists: Katy Perry, Dua Lipa, Ava Max, Ariana, Rihanna, Rita Ora, Britney, Xtina, Camila, Kelly Clarkson, P!nk

Edited by ProudLBS

Well… hit singles make the GP recognize you but they won’t be invested in you and not go to your tour, which is where the money is at. 

I mean look at Jason Derulo. Where is his career now? Although if you get enough singles you can always tour on that catalog (see Pitbull). 

1 hour ago, ProudLBS said:

Album artists: Lana, Taylor, Avril, Beyonce, Billie, Olivia, Lorde, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Adele

Singles artists: Katy Perry, Dua Lipa, Ava Max, Ariana, Rihanna, Rita Ora, Britney, Xtina, Camila, Kelly Clarkson, P!nk

Right… Britney is a “singles” artist that’s why her proportion of album to single sales is much higher than Avril’s. The easy set ups. Can you really blame us for taking them? :rip:

BOMT selling 1.6 million digital singles, Complicated selling 2.8 million, the album sales no contest. :rip:

Edited by BGXKB

1 hour ago, BGXKB said:

Right… Britney is a “singles” artist that’s why her proportion of album to single sales is much higher than Avril’s. The easy set ups. Can you really blame us for taking them? :rip:

BOMT selling 1.6 million digital singles, Complicated selling 2.8 million, the album sales no contest. :rip:

1998 vs 2002, when digital sales were starting to become a thing :rip:

If you have any doubts, check their album tracks’ streams. Let Go, for example, has all tracks above 10M except one. None of Britney’s album are close to that, they’re all carried by one or two HUGE singles and most tracks are under 5M.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.