Could Ron DeSantis beat Donald Trump in the Republican presidential primary?

anti-bitch

DeSantis is the Governor of Florida and he's been pushing ultra-conservative policies in the state lately. It could all be to try and establish him as a household name across the country. A recent Florida poll suggests that he has strong support from independents, while Trump is more popular among registered Republicans. DeSantis is also remarkably younger than Trump, 43, so he could be a factor in American politics for a long time to come.

Mind you, I definitely want a Democrat as the president in 2024 again, but we should watch this race because I fear that DeSantis could be more dangerous for human rights than Trump. 

I think he's someone "respectable" republicans can hide behind since he is much better at playing politics than Trump, but then you also run the risk of alienating Trump's base

Hard to tell. His name recognition has increased a lot in recent months with the homophobia and Disney debacle but I'm still not sure most people who aren't clued in to the daily political news cycle know him. He's also only really been able to thrive as Trump has been largely out of the news cycle because he's not on Twitter. He's also not the most memorable personality outside of his disgusting statements and actions. Like, he's not charismatic. He just comes across like a racist uncle.

On the flip side, Trump turned off some of the craziest MAGAts when he said they should get vaccinated. He also will just not shut up about "the election was stolen!!1" when I doubt that even excites the crazy people who believe it much anymore. DeSantis isn't a complete buffoon and will continue to say any far-right hot button thing to win over the base.

My inclination is no, he would definitely be the underdog but it's possible.

32 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

DeSantis is the Governor of Florida and he's been pushing ultra-conservative policies in the state lately. It could all be to try and establish him as a household name across the country. A recent Florida poll suggests that he has strong support from independents, while Trump is more popular among registered Republicans. DeSantis is also remarkably younger than Trump, 43, so he could be a factor in American politics for a long time to come.

Mind you, I definitely want a Democrat as the president in 2024 again, but we should watch this race because I fear that DeSantis could be more dangerous for human rights than Trump. 

there's no way he's only 43 :rip: and this picture was taken 2 years ago

800px-Ron_DeSantis_2020_(cropped).jpg

It’s gonna be Trump vs Tucker Carlson and if TC wins its over. 

• ATRL Moderator

Possibly. I think it's a toss up for me at the moment. It would all depend on who comes off as the bigger alpha on the debate stage.

18 minutes ago, tili33 said:

he's probably gonna be trumps VP, mark my words

You think? I'm not sure Trump would choose someone as vocal as DeSantis for VP. He wants a puppet. Trump doesn't want to share the spotlight.

1 hour ago, Pikachoo said:

there's no way he's only 43 :rip: and this picture was taken 2 years ago

800px-Ron_DeSantis_2020_(cropped).jpg

Hmm he looks his age?

OT: I think I rather have Trump over him. Trump is dumb and predictable, you can see from a mile his true intentions.

This man is not a genius but he is just as evil and smarter, the type that gets things done in his evil agenda.

So yeah Trump is less of a danger.

That gargoyle only gets the nom if Trump for whatever reason steps aside. Even back in 2012 Mitt Romney had to kiss the ring to keep Trump out. This is the Trump party

This man will be Ronald Reagan 2.0. He’ll successfully push the absolute worst conservative policies, and have independents/republicans supporting him, likely winning two terms, because he’s seen as a “regular guy” and “real” (a real douchebag)

It’s inevitable that he’ll become president within the next two decades, most likely in the next 3 election cycles. The writing is lowkey on the wall with this one. I don’t like Trump’s presidency, but he was mostly scandals and chaos. Ron Desantis has the political power and strategy that will successfully push and pass far-right policies that will last for generations. 

So far no. He's still local to Florida.

American politics is still about name-recognition, moreso amongst republican and independent voters.

Imagine underestimating the Trump cult in 2022. Trump is definitely winning if they primary each other, but DeSantis will be next in line for a Republican sweep in 2028, so. 

Yes, he can beat Trump because the big money donors have 'chosen' him

However I expect Trump to scream 'RIGGED' and 'FRAUD' and his supporters will mostly stay home, letting Dems win the Presidency in 2024

Trump's base is too loyal for him to win. And the lack of name recognition does have an impact, but all the polls that pit them against each other have Trump significantly ahead of DeSantis. But I'm not convinced that DeSantis will run if Trump decides to go for it again. Why take the risk of tarnishing his career by challenging Trump when he could just support him and have the next primary on lock?

5VNooNQ.png

I think it's a tossup, but I'm going to enjoy both of them cannabalizing each other. Who knows, an outsider might have a chance over both of these two?

9 hours ago, jakeisphat said:

Trump's base is too loyal for him to win. And the lack of name recognition does have an impact, but all the polls that pit them against each other have Trump significantly ahead of DeSantis. But I'm not convinced that DeSantis will run if Trump decides to go for it again. Why take the risk of tarnishing his career by challenging Trump when he could just support him and have the next primary on lock?

5VNooNQ.png

Cause there no such thing as “the next primary on lock”

You do not know what type of leaders will rise in the next 2 election cycles.

Marco Rubio was such a big deal when he got elected.

Then Ted Cruz stole his shine.

Then it was all about Trump.

Ask Hillary, she passed on 2004 because no president has ever lost while the country was at war. She thought she’d have 2008 on lock and then came Obama’s 2004 convention speech that change the trajectory of history.

Edited by frenchyisback

1 hour ago, frenchyisback said:

Cause there no such thing as “the next primary on lock”

You do not know what type of leaders will rise in the next 2 election cycles.

Marco Rubio was such a big deal when he got elected.

Then Ted Cruz stole his shine.

Then it was all about Trump.

Ask Hillary, she passed on 2004 because no president has ever lost while the country was at war. She thought she’d have 2008 on lock and then came Obama’s 2004 convention speech that change the trajectory of history.

No VP that sought their party’s nomination as an incumbent or after leaving office has ever lost it. Idk why it would be any different for Ron if he falls back in 2024 to support Trump and they win (which seems very likely since Joe can’t get his **** together). The “next primary on lock” is indeed a thing when you’re the veep.

Rubio doesn’t compare here. He never polled higher than 10% this early. No presumed Republican candidate ahead of 2016 besides Trump was polling as high as DeSantis is today ahead of 2024. Also, when did Hillary say she didn’t run in 2004 because no president has lost while the country is at war? Is there a source on that? Trump’s base is unlike any other modern political following - he literally changed the party to oust anybody that doesn’t fall in line. So with the base ousting Pence over Jan. 6th, DeSantis is in a much better position than any of the candidates you mentioned should he support Trump in 2024 and seek the nomination after. 

I don't know but I would love to see the infighting during the primaries

21 hours ago, getBusy said:

You think? I'm not sure Trump would choose someone as vocal as DeSantis for VP. He wants a puppet. Trump doesn't want to share the spotlight.

I.e. Pompeo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.