Ariana's Wicked to be two movies

ALA

Thinking Of You
2 minutes ago, MAKSIM said:

? They’re likely shooting it in one filming period but will edit it in to two parts. 

IMO this is a mistake. The two iconic songs from Wicked are in the first half. 

What? I think it makes sense to release both parts individually considering the plot in the second part, time has gone by and they are all older. I think a break between the actual film releases can help with that type of story. 

18 minutes ago, NavyBlue said:

I agree sis. I see what you’re saying. It’s absolutely one of my fave musicals, as well, and would hate for them to ruin it.  I do believe Chu is the wrong director for this (I don’t think he can pull it off) but I do like the cast that has been announced  :rip:

I am surprised that Spielberg is not doing it considering his lengthy relationship with Universal and the acclaim he got for his work on West Side Story. It’s right in his lane too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NavyBlue

• Aristocrat

• fridayteenage

• Lovett

Top Posters In This Topic

Her acting was cringe on Look Up, take some lessons girl.

The musical has like 5 good songs.  It’s not that serious to make it into two movies. 

Sounds like legal issues about cutting and changing than anything. 

Seems brave since all recent Broadway adaptation bombed. 

I just hope they stay true to the musical and don’t try to pull any whimsical ****. 

Act I and II have very different moods and do in a sense contain separate storylines, with Elphaba’s transformation and the shifting romantic dynamic with Fiero. I think it could actually work if they do it right

39 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The musical has like 5 good songs.  It’s not that serious to make it into two movies. 

Sounds like legal issues about cutting and changing than anything. 

Sis. That’s your opinion. But, for me, the whole musical is a slay and totally necessary to tell the story. They really put a lot of effort into the book. So I agree there could be possible legal issues. 

2 hours ago, TaylorNation said:

not sure how I feel about it… the stage show gets it done in 2 hours and 40 minutes so with a few cuts here and there they could have made a 2:30 hour movie

also will there be new songs i guess then?

per the website: Running time for the show is 2 hours and 45 minutes, including a 15-minute intermission.

So it actually is already 2:30. I know Ariana likes her short songs, but this seems like a poor decision. The tiktok generation is not the main audience for Broadway musicals.

2 hours ago, chosensparkles said:

I hope she booked some good acting coach cause her three times appearing on film/series are really...

1 hour ago, Totami Legend said:

Her acting was cringe on Look Up, take some lessons girl.

yes

1 minute ago, shookgrande said:

yes

That’s good to hear, I want her to do good.

This might be the end of Ariana as a pop musician, but honestly, good for her. She'll be great

2 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

I am surprised that Spielberg is not doing it considering his lengthy relationship with Universal and the acclaim he got for his work on West Side Story. It’s right in his lane too.

Ugh. Seriously!!! Can you imagine what he could do? The acclaim! :jonnycat: Why can’t we have nice things? 

Terrible decision. The property is not iconic enough with a big enough fan base to sustain a two parter like this.

Ms. Chu betta kno what he’s doing

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Protocol said:

Terrible decision. The property is not iconic enough with a big enough fan base to sustain a two parter like this.

What? It’s the second highest grossing Broadway musical of all time and fifth worldwide :rip: 

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

What? It’s the second highest grossing Broadway musical of all time and fifth worldwide :rip: 

Sure but there are lots of huge musicals that flopped in movie form. Rent, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys, the remake of West Side Story last year, Nine, The Producers, the list goes on. Big on Broadway doesn't automatically mean a huge mainstream audience.

Two movies demands a level of time commitment from the general public to only watch half the story at a time that I'm not sure will be there. It's already a tough sell with no proven movie stars in the lead roles. Cynthia Erivo is great but she's barely a celebrity let alone a draw. Ariana has no track record at the box office.

ya it seems better to just have a really long movie than splitting it into two parts and making people wait a YEAR to see the rest. if you disliked the first, you're definitely not going to see the second, and I'm sure some people will just not care at all to see the second unless they really enjoyed the first, and why would you want to set it up so your second film does worse than the first?

OR maybe it'll be great and self-promote itself and the second film will do better... but either way even as a fan it has to be annoying to wait en entire year to get the other film.

Edited by swissman

3 minutes ago, swissman said:

ya it seems better to just have a really long movie than splitting it into two parts and making people wait a YEAR to see the rest. 

the musical isn't even thaat long. 150 mins

hamilton on d+ 160

les miz 158

west side story 156

no way home 148

infinity war 149

endgame 181

2 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

the musical isn't even thaat long. 150 mins

hamilton on d+ 160

les miz 158

west side story 156

no way home 148

infinity war 149

endgame 181

oh thanks for this breakdown! they for sure could add another 20 minutes if needed for padding and new scenes...and even if it is kind of long, there's tons of musicals that are long.

it would even be kind of fun if they mimicked a theatre intermission and had some sort of break where people can get up and stretch and go to the washroom with some sort of entertaining thing to see in the meantime, it would really bring the theatre experience to life which would speak to the audience who would go out to see it...but ya, splitting a play in half is weird...kinda seems like maybe they just want to guarantee that roughly the same amount of work gets nearly double the money?

holy **** why is the first movie gonna take that long to come out? Dec 2024?? That's 2.5 years away. have they not even started shooting yet? how couldn't it be ready in 2023 

I do think it's a weird decision to do two films and totally unnecessary. But I guess we'll see!

On 4/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, Marvin said:

And I feel like it's very clear Universal is going to focus a lot on bringing in new audience as well :rip: they aren't going to do TWO movies a year apart, and not market the hell out of it.

On 4/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, chosensparkles said:

I hope she booked some good acting coach cause her three times appearing on film/series are really...

She's been working with Nancy Banks. Nancy has also coached Margot Robbie, Jennifer Garner, Matt Bomer, Jared Leto and many more. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.