Funny Girl lead actress panned on Broadway

TaylorNation

"Feldstein’s voice lets her down. Piercing and unpleasant when it gets any higher than her chest, fading and pitchy when it descends even a few steps, it’s simply not a sound you expect to hear on Broadway. Feldstein cannot sing them. It seems brutal to place a woman in such an exposed position, where a whole Broadway production rests on notes she can’t sustain" x

"When Beanie Feldstein makes her first appearance as Ziegfeld Follies comedian Fanny Brice, stares into an invisible mirror and delivers her famous opening self-affirmation (”Hello, gorgeous!”), the crowd goes wild. But then she starts to sing." x

"A star is not yet born in the revival of Funny Girl. Beanie Feldstein is just a gleam in her producer’s eye... her singing is as studied and limited as her scene work. She has a thin, nasally voice that no amount of manipulation by sound designer Brian Ronan can coax into sonic depth" x

"She never quite makes the material soar, and this is a rickety vehicle that needs a supernova to put gas in its tank." x

"It took nearly 60 years for “Funny Girl” to receive a Broadway revival – and theater aficionados will probably spend the next 60 years scratching their heads wondering how and why Beanie Feldstein got cast as Fanny Brice" x

"To rip the bandage off quickly: Feldstein is not stupendous. She’s good... You root for her to raise the roof, but she only bumps against it a little." x

For context this is the long-awaited revival that was rumoured to star Gaga for a hot second. There were also rumours a while ago for a Ryan Murphy-produced revival starring Lea Michele. Which is why everyone was confused when Beanie Feldstein got cast :skull: I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was really cute, but she clearly doesn't have what it takes to sing these songs.

What makes things even more hysterical is that we know the original producers of this show were her dad, Jonah Hill and Ben Platt's DAD, so this is yet another case of nepotism gone wrong :ahh: 

Edited by TaylorNation

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TaylorNation

• Protocol

• Vermillion

• EnigmaticAndroid

MadonnasBoyfriend

Im not about to Bully Mrs Monica Lewinsky but go off I guess.

You root for her to raise the roof, but she only bumps against it a little.

:skull:

3 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

"Feldstein’s voice lets her down. Piercing and unpleasant when it gets any higher than her chest, fading and pitchy when it descends even a few steps, it’s simply not a sound you expect to hear on Broadway. Feldstein cannot sing them. It seems brutal to place a woman in such an exposed position, where a whole Broadway production rests on notes she can’t sustain" x

"When Beanie Feldstein makes her first appearance as Ziegfeld Follies comedian Fanny Brice, stares into an invisible mirror and delivers her famous opening self-affirmation (”Hello, gorgeous!”), the crowd goes wild. But then she starts to sing." x

"A star is not yet born in the revival of Funny Girl. Beanie Feldstein is just a gleam in her producer’s eye... her singing is as studied and limited as her scene work. She has a thin, nasally voice that no amount of manipulation by sound designer Brian Ronan can coax into sonic depth" x

"She never quite makes the material soar, and this is a rickety vehicle that needs a supernova to put gas in its tank." x

"It took nearly 60 years for “Funny Girl” to receive a Broadway revival – and theater aficionados will probably spend the next 60 years scratching their heads wondering how and why Beanie Feldstein got cast as Fanny Brice" x

"To rip the bandage off quickly: Feldstein is not stupendous. She’s good... You root for her to raise the roof, but she only bumps against it a little." x

For context this is the long-awaited revival that was rumoured to star Gaga for a hot second. There were also rumours a while ago for a Ryan Murphy-produced revival starring Lea Michele. Which is why everyone was confused when Beanie Feldstein got cast :skull: I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was really cute, but she clearly doesn't have what it takes to sing these songs.

What makes things even more hysterical is that we know the original producers of this show were her dad, Jonah Hill and Ben Platt's DAD, so this is yet another case of nepotism gone wrong :ahh: 

So her dad is a producer? Dear Evan Hansen 2.0, I knew there was a bit of nepotism involved in Miss Feldstein’s abrupt rise. 

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

So her dad is a producer? Dear Evan Hansen 2.0, I knew there was a bit of nepotism involved in Miss Feldstein’s abrupt rise. 

Apparently, yes. She also didn't even have to audition so this revival was basically mounted just for her

You root for her to raise the roof, but she only bumps against it a little.

Lea Michele’s voodoo

17 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

Apparently, yes. She also didn't even have to audition so this revival was basically mounted just for her

It almost seems like American Crime Story: Impeachment was mounted just for her as well. 

27 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

:hoetenks:

13 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

It almost seems like American Crime Story: Impeachment was mounted just for her as well. 

these parents can’t stop setting their children up :rip: 

29 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

Do you have a source to this? Cause i'm looking at the show notes and neither her parents or Ben's are producers. And she talked about auditioning to the show.

13 minutes ago, Mistah.Beyonce said:

Poor thing, see Lea was born for that role.

she ruined her own career by being a trash human being tho :soda:and she’s not that great live, it’s one thing to lipsync to these songs for a tv show but she isn’t broadway star material

OT: just close this thing already nobody asked for a Funny Girl revival

12 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Do you have a source to this? Cause i'm looking at the show notes and neither her parents or Ben's are producers. And she talked about auditioning to the show.

apparently they were the initial backers of the show before they even looked for producers/investors. it was all over the Broadway boards, but the posts have mysteriously been scrubbed off :eli: and there was also a separate item on deuxmoi. 

and didn't she say that she was the only one who auditioned? that's what I meant

Edited by TaylorNation

I understand wanting to give your child opportunities, but you have to be realistic. And if you're the child receiving the opportunities, you shouldn't jump on anything thrown your way because of stuff like this. Have some self-awareness. Surely she and the people around her knew she wasn't prepared for this. :jonny:

:rip:

Mess 

this girl really thought she could get up here and sing My Man in the wrong key and nobody would notice 

Beanie has been so good before and has a theater background, I’m really surprised they continued to push this through if she just she can’t sing?? :deadbanana:

Omg this is so sad

17 minutes ago, Mitsouko said:

Fanny Brice didn't sing like Barbra Streisand tho so :michael:

Yes but the music was written for Barbara, in her range. If you can't hit the notes have mommy and daddy buy you a different show.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.