Taylor Swift's 1M+ first week sales – Which one was the most impressive?

Feanor

Taylor Swift's 1M+ opening weeks…  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which album's 1M+ first week opening was the most impressive?

• Speak Now (2010)
    • RED (2012)
    • 1989 (2014)
    • reputation (2017)

One of Taylor Swift's most impressive chart achievements are her four consecutive 1M+ first week sales in the US, which she achieved for her studio albums from 2010-2017.

They were…

EjpVamjWAAIt02B?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Speak Now71+q4wh2+YL._SL1200_.jpg – 1,024,000

Notable for…

- being her first album to debut with 1M+ 

- being the biggest opening for a female artist in 10 years

61Q+6oKS-YL._SL1400_.jpg

RED71+q4wh2+YL._SL1200_.jpg – 1,208,000

Notable for…

- making her the first female artist to debut with 1M+ twice

- being the biggest opening for a country album ever

580de90bf142c7660dcbaf8faa789a61b1-20-taylor-swift-1989.2x.w710.png

198971+q4wh2+YL._SL1200_.jpg – 1,287,000

Notable for…

- being her biggest opening to this day

- still selling 1M+ despite popular fear of losing her country fans

81Ii6u2neLL._SL1400_.jpg

reputation71+q4wh2+YL._SL1200_.jpg – 1,238,000

Notable for…

- being the last 1M+ opening week to date

- happening after her "cancellation" & public backlash in 2016

Which one of these four 1M+ opening week was the most impressive in your opinion?

michael-jackson-reading.gif

I think RED because it didn't have that much hype from Speak Now.

1989 because it was her first full pop album and she could have alienated her country fans but it worked out well for her

Easily Speak Now.

We knew she was BIG after Fearless smashed mainstream, with 2 huge singles and a controversy that got everyone talking - just didn't know how big.

I'm even more shocked that it debuted with 1M with a mediocre lead single but the rest of the weekly iTunes releases leading up to the album were great, so there's that.

Edited by Carrie-is-no-1

2 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

I think RED because it didn't have that much hype from Speak Now.

But it had huge smash singles backing it up. 

Speak Now easily. It did not have a big lead single, there was a lot of hype from Fearless, but I don't think anyone expected a 1m debut.

Edited by Hot Volcano

3 minutes ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

1989 because it was her first full pop album and she could have alienated her country fans but it worked out well for her

I disagreed. Even though 1989 was marketed as her first pop album, RED was already her doing pop with a few weak country-sounding songs that are far and few in between as compared to her first 3. No one was shocked that 1989 is full pop, people were probably more shocked at hearing dubstep from RED.

If i rmb correctly, all singles serviced to country radio from RED bombed - can someone verify this?

1989.  It was the marketed shift from her prior music and uncertain whether the fans would stay.  Plus the market had declined Substantially by then.

it's either Speak Now because it was so early in her career or reputation because of the "#TaylorSwiftIsOverParty" that was trending on twitter one year prior to its release. 

Reputation tbh, the sales climate had already changed and those kinds of numbers were getting harder to come by

+ no one was sure how much damage the Kim/Kanye drama had caused, and there was a legit hate train that lasted for like 2 years

reputation for sure. Only the gays ate up “Look What You Made Me Do.” Still a shock to this day despite me leaving work mid-morning to go purchase at Target. :nicole:

Edited by Brikenbur

Speak Now came out of nowhere.. 

13 minutes ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

If i rmb correctly, all singles serviced to country radio from RED bombed - can someone verify this?

Begin Again - 3

Red - 7

Still pretty big country hits. 

Speak now it didn't have a smash lead like the rest 

58 minutes ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (released August 2012) peaked at number 13 on both Billboard and Mediabase country airplay charts.

Begin Again (released October 2012) peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart and number 1 on the Mediabase country airplay chart.

Red (released June 2013) peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart and number 5 on the Mediabase country airplay chart.

Between Begin Again and Red, Taylor was also featured on Tim McGraw's Highway Don't Care  (released March 2013). Although not featured on Red, the song sort of served as the third country radio song from Red while 22 was sent to pop radio. Highway Don't Care peaked at number 1 on both the Billboard and Mediabase country airplay charts, and broke the record for the largest number of audience impressions ever recorded by a country song at the time. 

Therefore I'd say none of them bombed, and most of them did really well.

Reputation definitely

she was the MOST hated back then

and it was the Hardest to do it

while the country albums?

In US, they have a advantage

for the Pop one..still more advantage than Rep, which literally had a more electric sound - which was overall left in the early 10s

:sorry:

6 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (released August 2012) peaked at number 13 on both Billboard and Mediabase country airplay charts.

Begin Again (released October 2012) peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart and number 1 on the Mediabase country airplay chart.

Red (released June 2013) peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart and number 5 on the Mediabase country airplay chart.

So Mediabase country airplay, the ranking is #13, #1, #5 - that's not too bad. Thanks for sharing the data.

Do you have the data of how her songs did in the Speak Now era on the Mediabase country airplay chart? I had the impression that her songs from RED bombed so I'm thinking maybe it was comparing it to the streaks from Speak Now. Usually, artists like Taylor will be given the same white horse treatment like Carrie on country radio i.e. scoring a string of #1s with very few #2s or top 5 in between during their most successful country eras. 

1 minute ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

So Mediabase country airplay, the ranking is #13, #1, #5 - that's not too bad. Thanks for sharing the data.

Do you have the data of how her songs did in the Speak Now era on the Mediabase country airplay chart? I had the impression that her songs from RED bombed so I'm thinking maybe it was comparing it to the streaks from Speak Now. Usually, artists like Taylor will be given the same white horse treatment like Carrie on country radio i.e. scoring a string of #1s with very few #2s or top 5 in between during their most successful country eras. 

Mine: #1

Back To December: #1

Mean: #1

Sparks Fly: #1

Ours: #1

Speak Now because sales were falling by double digit percentages total every year yet 2 years after Fearless, she managed to nearly double her prior first week sales on her 3rd album and debut with over 1M. She also kept having songs debut in the Top 10 of BB prior to the albums release with no radio support.

Definitely Speak Now

No one saw that coming

Followed by reputation

It was reputation, she was HATED and LWYMMD while the first week was a massive event it failed to become as big as SIO or We are never….

Speak Now was expected imo because of how massive Fearless era was.

Speak Now, nobody knew just how huge she had gotten and the album didn't have any super big pop crossover hits to push it. 

she was despised by almost everyone and then she was like **** you I just went platinum in a week

again

50 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Mine: #1

Back To December: #1

Mean: #1

Sparks Fly: #1

Ours: #1

Thank you so much :clap3:

I think this is the reason why i had that impression. Country radio was dropping RED left and right based on the charting positions, as compared to the previous singles.