House of the Dragon | Season 2 | Episode 3: 'The Burning Mill' | GoT Prequel

Eóghan
Tsareena
Message added by Tsareena,

Please keep book spoilers and related discussions in spoilers tags

I liked the episode. Expected more of B&C scene, not the gore violence

Spoiler

(though people seem to be more traumatised of a beheaded baby in fiction than those we're witnessing in real life and time in Gaza)

but the build up and the scene pace. Like it went really fast? Idc that they didn't follow the book word by word, people need to understand it's an adaptation and the fact that the book is written from the perspective of 2 maesters who weren't even present at the time. But I wasn't as shocked as I expected. 

That being said the rest of the episode was really good. Alicent and Criston are incredibly pathetic my God :priceless: Olivia is a PHENOMENAL actress. Emma didn't need to say more than 4 words to have me in tears in every scene of theirs. The hug with Jacaerys… Harry did his thing too there. 

I missed a scene of Alicent and Otto speaking directly to Aemond right after Storm's End though. I hate his ass :-*

Edited by FlyPirate
  • Like 2

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery

• Drowned8World

• Lil Mxnster

• Terylee

Although i would have preferred b&c to be more like the books, after thinking more about the episode I understood more why they made it a straightforward choice for Helaena. She pointed out the boy because it was set up earlier in the episode that she didn't want him to be forced into being the next king (she asked Aegon earlier on what if the boy doesn't want to be king), she didn't like that he was being taken from his library time for small council stuff, it was almost like sacrificing him to save him from that as she had witnessed how a war started because of Aegon being forced to be king. She also knew both of the kids would be killed if she didn't make a choice. 

blood and cheese is so underwhelming 

:ahh:

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, ShouldersSideways said:

I believe the coming episodes will address why Helaena didn't even bother trying to lie about which one Jaehaerys was. They didn't have Blood say, "She wouldn't give up the heir so easily" for her to have actually given up the heir that easily. :rip: I'm personally of the mind she was realizing what her dreams about the rats meant and that she couldn't save him, but she could get away with her daughter if she tried. 

As a book reader, I'm not upset at all they changed it. I think seeing and hearing your sons head sawed off is just as traumatic as being forced to choose between your children and that her response to the whole ordeal was in line with her characterization. It's not that she unemotional like some people are saying, she was in shock and trying to survive with her daughter. I think Phia did a great job of portraying the emotions coming through but pushing them back down as she made her escape. She simply didn't have time to fall apart yet.

wonder how they're gonna adapt her book ending now cause the event was a massive conditioner for it... will it even make sense now :redface:

I wish HBO releases all episodes at once like Netflix. Nobody has time to wait for 2 months for all episodes to be released :suburban:

This is a new reaction meme waiting to happen

that was very underwhelming

I thought

Spoiler

Aegon

was supposed to be murdered on B&C when I read some spoilers (appearently they were wrong) and some nonevent child is getting the chop? 

and they did not even bother to give any explanation. They were supposed to assasinate Aemond, and then suddenly a four year-old son of a 20something king (who can have another dosen of sons through his life) was enough? So dumb.

At least let them have a dialog of how they cannot see Aemond in anywhere and have a decision of killing others.

Edited by Afferty
  • Haha 1

Yeah... i don't like what they did with Cregan (too little) and with B&C (it's something that's supposed to be on the level of the Red Wedding and it was underwhelming). The rest was great

When they change the stuff, they have to know that people expect to see something and that no matter how terrible it is, it won't leave the effect because people already have the story in their heads. If I were to write the episode, I would... 

Spoiler

have Daemon discuss something with Mysaria and not reveal what it is. I would want the audience to feel that something is coming, but don't let them know what. I would keep Cheese in the background the whole episode, and show much more rats. Set the tone that something horrible is about to happen. At the very end of the episode, I would prefer the scene with Helaena and her three children where she cares about them (plus it would be great if it's shown earlier in the episode too), to set the stage and establish her as a mother that deeply cares for her children. At the very end I would have Helaena take her kids to Alicents room and when she gets in she finds her mother tied and gagged. The rest would happen just like in the books where she picks one child over the other. That way it would be as shocking as much as the Red Wedding and Ned's death. 

I mean, imagine if we followed the Boltons and the Freys planning the Red Wedding, instead of seeing the realization in Cat's eyes

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah... i don't like what they did with Cregan (too little) and with B&C (it's something that's supposed to be on the level of the Red Wedding and it was underwhelming). The rest was great

When they change the stuff, they have to know that people expect to see something and that no matter how terrible it is, it won't leave the effect because people already have the story in their heads. If I were to write the episode, I would... 

Hide contents

have Daemon discuss something with Mysaria and not reveal what it is. I would want the audience to feel that something is coming, but don't let them know what. I would keep Cheese in the background the whole episode, and show much more rats. Set the tone that something horrible is about to happen. At the very end of the episode, I would prefer the scene with Helaena and her three children where she cares about them (plus it would be great if it's shown earlier in the episode too), to set the stage and establish her as a mother that deeply cares for her children. At the very end I would have Helaena take her kids to Alicents room and when she gets in she finds her mother tied and gagged. The rest would happen just like in the books where she picks one child over the other. That way it would be as shocking as much as the Red Wedding and Ned's death. 

I mean, imagine if we followed the Boltons and the Freys planning the Red Wedding, instead of seeing the realization in Cat's eyes

@RyanCondal take notes *****!

• Haha 1

expecting a red wedding level event when that had a full 3 seasons of development. :suburban: thats delulu as heck. talk about setting yourselves up for a letdown :toofunny3:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Hide contents

damn this is exactly what would've happened if the scene was part of GoT s1-6 I'm gagged

• Thanks 1

B&C was fine, I guess. I am interested to see how the aftermath plays out. 

16 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Reveal hidden contents

I know I focused on B&C but Cregan/the North was so underwhelming. From changing the history to omitting some of the stuff fans were looking forward the most. It was too short. Cregan was amazing, but we didn't get to know who he is. He doesn't mean anything to the public except the pretty face. Another problem was the pacing. I don't know how Jace got all the way to the Wall without getting the news that his brother is dead. I mean, his journey was longer, and he should've stayed a bit in the Vale and spent a lot of time with Cregan having fun. I would've preferred it that Jace got the message while he was at Winterfell and that Cregan helped him grieve in that moment, so they make a true bond. There's no way anyone would believe that those two guys had the bond. We didn't get anything 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I know I focused on B&C but Cregan/the North was so underwhelming. From changing the history to omitting some of the stuff fans were looking forward the most. It was too short. Cregan was amazing, but we didn't get to know who he is. He doesn't mean anything to the public except the pretty face. Another problem was the pacing. I don't know how Jace got all the way to the Wall without getting the news that his brother is dead. I mean, his journey was longer, and he should've stayed a bit in the Vale and spent a lot of time with Cregan having fun. I would've preferred it that Jace got the message while he was at Winterfell and that Cregan helped him grieve in that moment, so they make a true bond. There's no way anyone would believe that those two guys had the bond. We didn't get anything 

If that's all we see of Cregan this season, I'm gonna be really disappointed.  He and Jace are supposed to have this intense emotional bond, signing a blood pact and everything.  I agree, having Jace get the message about Luke's death while at Winterfell and grieving with Cregan would have been perfect.  Showing that would have been a great way to add a ton of depth to both characters and really make the audience attached to them.  

Also, the fast travel (ie: Jace at Winterfell then at Dragonstone in the same ep) is giving GOT S7.......... aka where the show started to go off the rails...

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 1:27 AM, Miles. said:

If that's all we see of Cregan this season, I'm gonna be really disappointed.  He and Jace are supposed to have this intense emotional bond, signing a blood pact and everything.  I agree, having Jace get the message about Luke's death while at Winterfell and grieving with Cregan would have been perfect.  Showing that would have been a great way to add a ton of depth to both characters and really make the audience attached to them.  

Also, the fast travel (ie: Jace at Winterfell then at Dragonstone in the same ep) is giving GOT S7.......... aka where the show started to go off the rails...

He rides a dragon though

E2 is up on Max already :eatpopcorn:

Allicent girl... :deadbanana2:

That was a really good episode. It felt like classic Thrones with the dialogue.

• Like 3

Otto realizing he's in a castle full of psychopaths. The dragon came back to bite, I fear! :ryan3:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I can't wait to see Baela action with Moondancer :jonny6:

Good episode 7/10

Deamon and R had the best scene Matt Smith always brings it 

• Like 1

What an amazing episode!

Otto reading Aegon for filth, and Rhaenyra clocking Daemon as well :clap3:

Of course Aegon makes Criston the new hand :ahh: Entering his Geoffrey era and Criston continuing to fall up in this storyline being both the Queen's lover and the King's hand :deadbanana4:

The scene with the twins fighting was so well done 👏 Along with the funeral scene and Daemon riding the dragon.

Really good episode! Baela and Moondancer coming for CrINCEL Cole next week :jonny5:

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.