fX1pdic.jpgrHVyANI.jpg 

7dlloOT.jpg 

JxQ90LH.jpg 

rvUrfeY.jpg  

W2YT03s.jpg

FYYeKpjVEAIWhDK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FYdv4xIUsAEI0pY?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

FYdu5PSVUAEmkb7?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live Q&A from Facebook and Twitch

Sk1pNDl.jpg

w03Kib5.jpg

zyMZ1N9.jpg

AiqV8bQ.jpg

W5PI3d3.jpg 

DOQ6SzA.jpg 

ER8wasi.jpg

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• Feanor

• SpankGangsta

19 hours ago, Eóghan said:

I'm confusion :deadbanana: what kind of collective braincell are they all sharing? is it a meme? is it promo? 

You seem to know what it's about? do you know?

When the trailer first dropped I was able to see normal comments, now it's impossible lol

It looks to me like they're collectively trolling. But it's weird because the fandom was never these levels of stuck-up with the Hobbit trilogy

On 7/23/2022 at 5:36 AM, mystery said:

I don't know why but I can't get myself to be excited for this, it looks so strange visually and the way the characters are speaking is odd. Will still watch it of course. 

Mte! 

there’s something odd so far. Idk if it’s some of the casting choices, the script. Granted we’ve just seen trailers and photos but whew. I’m hoping this does the past 2 trilogies justice. 

really gross how much this show is getting dragged everywhere per-emptively just for having little diversity in the cast. this is why i dont **** with straight people things. :mazen:

15 minutes ago, fauxtography said:

really gross how much this show is getting dragged everywhere per-emptively just for having little diversity in the cast. this is why i dont **** with straight people things. :mazen:

Apparently they erased a very important character and turned him into Galadriel in the name of #girlpower so I can understand why people who love the books are upset. Because it's clear the change was made with an agenda, but in the process they greatly alter the beloved Galadriel character too and turn it into something it is not.

vm8c5gvuw1e91.png?width=1080&format=png&97pzb44vw1e91.png?width=1080&format=png& 

Inspiring 

giphy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------

Total Film Magazine

1ru0l8usood91.jpg

n2lrmt0mvod91.jpg?width=970&format=pjpg&

a1uj0v0mvod91.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg

z9ljht0mvod91.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg 

7wvj7t0mvod91.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg

z4z9jt0mvod91.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg

On 7/26/2022 at 4:00 PM, HotFriedChicken said:

What the **** is a Harfoot? The ancestors of the Hobbits?

You guessed right. Hobbit ancestors according to interviews.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:16 PM, AbeHicks said:

Apparently they erased a very important character and turned him into Galadriel in the name of #girlpower so I can understand why people who love the books are upset. Because it's clear the change was made with an agenda, but in the process they greatly alter the beloved Galadriel character too and turn it into something it is not.

Based on what? "apparently" is such a weasel word. It is added so you can say something unfounded but you add “apparently” and you can distance yourself from it. Sis' i think you need to stop watching sensationalist YouTube channels that make it their full-time job to bash this show. They don't care about Tolkien, they only care about you clicking on their video so they can make ad money and attract as many racists + misogynists' as possible to feed their sad life. Talking about "agenda" like it's some kind of conspiracy lmao It ain't that serious.  

The show isn't out, so making assumptions about a plot that is impossible to decipher from a random collection of shots put together for a trailer is the just the product of foolishness and ignorance. Let's wait for the show to be officially out; and then only we can all **** on it together if it's bad.

Until then let's please not give any air to these people who talk about "purity" of Tolkien's writings as code words for "mysoginy", "racism" and "white supremacist" ideologies. They deserve zero air on this thread.

And yes Galadriel is a powerhouse in the second age, so why shouldn't she be "#girlpower"? as you cringily point out.

Here's some quote from different Tolkien books about Galadriel being a bad bish.

s41h5aati5691.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

On 7/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Dark Miracles said:

It looks to me like they're collectively trolling. But it's weird because the fandom was never these levels of stuck-up with the Hobbit trilogy

On 7/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, fauxtography said:

Why  all the elfs other than Galadriel are so ugly and old looking? :skull:

7 hours ago, Eóghan said:

You guessed right. Hobbit ancestors according to interviews.

Based on what? "apparently" is such a weasel word. It is added so you can say something unfounded but you add “apparently” and you can distance yourself from it. Sis' i think you need to stop watching sensationalist YouTube channels that make it their full-time job to bash this show. They don't care about Tolkien, they only care about you clicking on their video so they can make ad money and attract as many racists + misogynists' as possible to feed their sad life. Talking about "agenda" like it's some kind of conspiracy lmao It ain't that serious.  

The show isn't out, so making assumptions about a plot that is impossible to decipher from a random collection of shots put together for a trailer is the just the product of foolishness and ignorance. Let's wait for the show to be officially out; and then only we can all **** on it together if it's bad.

Until then let's please not give any air to these people who talk about "purity" of Tolkien's writings as code words for "mysoginy", "racism" and "white supremacist" ideologies. They deserve zero air on this thread.

And yes Galadriel is a powerhouse in the second age, so why shouldn't she be "#girlpower"? as you cringily point out.

Here's some quote from different Tolkien books about Galadriel being a bad bish.

s41h5aati5691.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Interesting, thanks for the explanation sis! I said apparently because I read the comment of 1 other person and that is what mine was based on, when it comes to the LOTR books I only read the 3 LOTR books not the other texts so I am not as knowledgeable about the subjet. I am aware of what those youtubers are doing with the rage click strategy, I don't watch those just read some discourse online where they said that anoher character's role was given to Galadriel (which really would be wrong, no matter how we look at anything). 

8 hours ago, Raptus said:

Why  all the elfs other than Galadriel are so ugly and old looking? :skull:

Peter Jackson always said that casting Elves is a nightmare

and it kinda feels like the showrunners on this didn't spend as much time and effort casting/designing the Elves from what we've seen so far. Young Galadriel and the black/latino actor are fine, but I'm on the fence about the young Elrond and especially these damn haircuts that eloped from the Elvis set.

4 minutes ago, Dark Miracles said:

Peter Jackson always said that casting Elves is a nightmare

and it kinda feels like the showrunners on this didn't spend as much time and effort casting/designing the Elves from what we've seen so far. Young Galadriel and the black/latino actor are fine, but I'm on the fence about the young Elrond and especially these damn haircuts that eloped from the Elvis set.

yeah but its hollywood, there are literally tons of beautifull, young actors waiting to be cast. Am i supposed to believe theres  not one Orlando level  handsome guy left?  :rip: And Orlando  wasn't even  very talented actor, but did great. They should have just  pick  some cute  faces and call it a day  imao

Some of the elf castings are fine (Galadriel, Finrod, Gil-Galad). Even Elrond at a stretch I'm fine with.

The main one that is just unacceptable to me is Celebrimbor, who is literally thousands of years younger than Galadriel but looks old af :skull:

I also like the Silvan Elf guy, but why the buzz cut? It's just not elfy at all. He could have been such a slay with a long black wig :cries: And all these background character short hair elves, it just looks wrong.

Compare these characters to the absolute majesty of Lee Paces' Thranduil, Liv Tyler's Arwen, Oralndo's Legolas, or of course Cate. The casting & styling choices are just not there I fear

Yeah the Celebrimbor casting is kinda questionable, because he simply looks too old and not only are elves not supposed to show their age in the long run, he also is simply younger than Galadriel, but it doesn't show at all :rip: 

They had someone else cast in this role initially who looked much closer in age to Galadriel's actress, so I wonder why they recast him as someone older.

And re. the short hair on the elves, I actually don't mind shorter hair as long as there was still some length to it (like Elrond's hair), but the buzzcuts will definitely take some time to get used to, because that's kinda immersion breaking :skull:

Off topic but Liv Tyler's performance in LOTR is soo underrated. I get why Cate, Hugo, Orlando and Lee get all the praise but she did amazing as well

1 hour ago, Raptus said:

yeah but its hollywood, there are literally tons of beautifull, young actors waiting to be cast. Am i supposed to believe theres  not one Orlando level  handsome guy left?  :rip: And Orlando  wasn't even  very talented actor, but did great. They should have just  pick  some cute  faces and call it a day  imao

The thing is Elves are supposed to look fresh-faced and ancient at the same time, so they can't just cast every new face in Hollywood hence why they're a nightmare to cast

Another great interview from the cast

On 7/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, Dark Miracles said:

Off topic but Liv Tyler's performance in LOTR is soo underrated. I get why Cate, Hugo, Orlando and Lee get all the praise but she did amazing as well

YES. Liv's Arwen is the epitome of an Elf for me. The voice, the look, the body language. She was perfect.

It's a shame she doesn't act as much anymore, you should watch HBO's The Leftovers if you like her, she's masterful in it. I really miss her. The amount of hate she got back when she got the role or even after Fellow of the Ring was out is ironic to look back on.

Pure misogyny. Funny how history is repeating itself 20 years later like nothing has changed. They were crying over some changes from the books to make Arwen's role more prominent because the first book has no real focus on any female character.

------------------------------------------------------------

This Reddit post listing all the complaints from Tolkien fans on forums when "The Fellowship of the Ring" was released back in 2001 is a blast from the past.

Arwen shouldn't fight, ride a horse, or have many dialogues, or... kiss Aragorn?:
  1. She's just supposed to be this little Elven-hottie that sits in the Hall of Fire & has next to no lines, and Aragorn marries her in the end. // Wow... just wow...

2. in the book as others have stated already, she simply sits there looking pretty

3. If you're gonna give that scene to Arwen... HELL! YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE HER LEAD THE FELLOWSHIP! HELL!!!! YOU MIGHT AS WELL LET HER CARRY THE RING TO MORDOR ALL BY HERSELF!!! SHE SURE DOESN'T NEED ANY HOBBIT WHEN, BEING THE MOST COURAGEOUS AND BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN MIDDLE EARTH, SHE CAN DO IT ALL BY HERSELF!!!!

4. theArwen-warrior-spell-casting-witch-ifyouwanthimcomeandclaimhim-steroid wench REALLY REALLY BOTHERS ME!!!!!

5. I think that by turning her into this warrior sorceress Mr. Jackson is twisting and cheapening her character

6. And I'm not someone who always hates "political correctness." But this is different entirely.

7. If the movie (I mean all three parts) was made to represent the book as closely as possible, as should have been, women would have had an incredibly small role in this film, and would have been nearly absent entirely... But political correctness (also known as BULLS**T) in Hollywood won't allow that.

8. Lets make the characters more "exciting" and "politically correct", regardless of how Tolkien wanted it... Why don't we just make Lassie a cat. Down with PJ! // (He's referring to the movie/tv show about a dog called Lassie)

9. the screenwriter is a woman, and as we all know middle earth is a very sexist planet, so in the interest of pleasing half of the audience of the movie a woman would need to be shown more often and as someone more important

10. Arwen looks like a little girl pouting fit and have to have he[r] grammy come and console her

11. not to mention they show Aragorn kissing Arwen, yep .

And a big shoutout to Liv Tyler (Arwen) who was harassed by fans who dubbed her XenArwen as in Xena Arwen because she did fighting in the movie, and then straight-up said in an interview that "If you don't want to see what another person does with the part, then don't go to the movies." I don't think many actors today have the courage to say that to fans.

giphy.gif 

1 hour ago, Eóghan said:

YES. Liv's Arwen is the epitome of an Elf for me. The voice, the look, the body language. She was perfect.

It's a shame she doesn't act as much anymore, you should watch HBO's The Leftovers if you like her, she's masterful in it. I really miss her. The amount of hate she got back when she got the role or even after Fellow of the Ring was out is ironic to look back on.

Pure misogyny. Funny how history is repeating itself 20 years later like nothing has changed. They were crying over some changes from the books to make Arwen's role more prominent because the first book has no real focus on any female character.

------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, Eóghan said:

This Reddit post listing all the complaints from Tolkien fans on forums when "The Fellowship of the Ring" was released back in 2001 is a blast from the past.

The fact that some of these complaints are the exact same one that are thrown against this show, 20 years later :rip:

I guess history always has a tendency to repeat itself.

Also it looks like there's a EW cover story coming tomorrow, and the closeups of the costumes look great.

Inject the music into my veins :loud:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mBWfX7c.jpg

https://ew.com/tv/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-cover-story/

I guess that it comes more as a shock since the other trilogies didn’t had POC as main characters (as far as I remember) and now there’s a few of them and people that are not used to see black/Latin characters as elfs, Dwarfs are making it a mess

The Tolkien estate allegedly rejected bringing Peter Jackson into Amazon's The Rings Of Power

Jackson: “They asked me if I wanted to be involved[writer-producer Fran Walsh] and Iand I said, ‘That’s an impossible question to answer without seeing a script. So they said, ‘As soon as we get the first couple scripts, we’ll send them to you.’ And the scripts never showed up. That’s the last thing I heard.” To be clear, Jackson—who expressed his enjoyment at the idea of approaching the show as a “totally neutral viewer”—didn’t sound upset about how it all shook out: “Which is fine. No complaints at all.”

But THR also quotes “sources close to the project” that paint a messier story, noting that series showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, and former Amazon executive Sharon Tal Yguado (who left the company in 2019) were both interested in luring Jackson into some level of collaboration. Opposed to the idea, apparently, were Amazon’s lawyers (for the aforementioned reasons). But also the Tolkien estate, whose chief representative, J.R.R. Tolkien’s son and literary executor, Christopher Tolkien, has been vocal in the past about his distaste for Jackson’s films. (“The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing, Tolkien said in an interview in 2012.) Amazon paid the estate some $250 million for the rights for its series—and also, of course, for the sheen of legitimacy their support of Rings Of Power would confer. So when they were “against having Jackson on board,” according to these same unnamed sources, it’s not hard to see that being a fairly decisive vote that put the kibosh on plans to try to bring Jackson into the fold.

Source: https://www.avclub.com/amazon-rings-of-power-peter-jackson-tolkien-estate-1849380809

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The two trilogies have just been added on Prime Video, if people want to do a re-watch 

I think it's the only streaming service that managed to have all of them at the same time

zheshigpjkf91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:03 AM, Dark Phoenix said:

I guess that it comes more as a shock since the other trilogies didn’t had POC as main characters (as far as I remember) and now there’s a few of them and people that are not used to see black/Latin characters as elfs, Dwarfs are making it a mess

Yeah but you gotta admit you can't make this **** up.

I was just browsin through youtube now lookin for news, I filtered the past week and just the last 5 days :lmao:

x1s4UNZ.png1IXakSH.png

Y'all are making fun in here but the backlash is pretty big considering this hasn't even been released yet and it's gonna get worse after that. I even heard my irl freinds complain about this :doc:

I just hope this won't get cancelled after this first season because it's so rare that we get larger-than-life fantasy series like this :weeps: 

YtlYA5D.jpg 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.