Anti-LGBTQ backlash: What to do about it?

Eric.

Alright, it is happening... AGAIN!

The heteronormative order has been rattled for long enough and now there's an international anti-LGBTQ backlash taking the form of repressive laws and reactionary discourse mostly aimed at invalidating and making life harder for transgender/gender non-conforming people and further creating a consensus that LGBTQ people are sick deviations that should be patiently tolerated at best and violently squashed at worst. 

Some might brush this aside as irrelevant "culture wars" and not a "real issue", but being discriminated by your government/community and being slandered as a "predator" does have significant economic, social and psychological consequences that could eventually affect a lot of us, even if, for now, your community/government has not be poisoned by this phenomenon. 

So what should we do to combat this without undermining our own humanity

Again, this is happening in many parts of the world in many different ways, so all perspectives are welcomed. 

Y'all are annoying on ATRL (Myself included hihi) so I can only imagine how the outsiders view us 

They can cry more. 

9 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

They can cry more. 

Pretty sure the issue is that they’re doing a lot more than just crying. Did you even read what OP posted?

Buy/Stream Hold My Hand by Lady Gaga. 

jRrJgLk.gif.295faaabe4cda21056be5d40be2b

Put on straight clothing and act like you’re one of the good ones 

Society is not ready for transgender/gender non-conforming people and won't be for another 200 years.

People want change too fast and it's just not going to happen.

alJihXy.gif

1 hour ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Y'all are annoying on ATRL (Myself included hihi) so I can only imagine how the outsiders view us 

1 hour ago, Revolution said:

let the str8s suffer

1 hour ago, The7thStranger said:

They can cry more. 

The fact that yall think like this when they're coming for your human rights. :deadbanana2: 

Just ignore the hate, really. Gen Z is the most accepting and liberal generation ever, and the next gen will be even more so. It's gonna take a while before they become political leaders though.

Edited by anti-bitch

21 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

Society is not ready for transgender/gender non-conforming people and won't be for another 200 years.

alJihXy.gif

people said the exact same thing about gays and lesbians not even 50 years ago though and look how far gay rights and social acceptance has progressed. 

2 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

:skull: 

1 hour ago, AbeHicks said:

alJihXy.gif

I think they’ll be accepted (by and large) within the 21st century. 

1 hour ago, Pop said:

The fact that yall think like this when they're coming for your human rights. :deadbanana2: 

I'm sorry, what is it that you would like us to do right this very second? This is a battle that will ebb and flow until we die.

2 hours ago, Antinemesis said:

Pretty sure the issue is that they’re doing a lot more than just crying. Did you even read what OP posted?

Yes, and I said what I meant.

I'm not going to stop being who I am just because the tide is turning again. This is nothing new, unfortunately. The backlash is clearly related to the semi-recent focus on transgender rights. We're all part of the rainbow, so we are all "guilty" for having allowed transgenderism to enter the mainstream conversation. I mean, I'm open to suggestions, but I don't really see any. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but likely one that will be necessary.

Edited by The7thStranger

14 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Yes, and I said what I meant.

I'm not going to stop being who I am just because the tide is turning again. This is nothing new, unfortunately. The backlash is clearly related to the semi-recent focus on transgender rights. We're all part of the rainbow, so we are all "guilty" for having allowed transgenderism to enter the mainstream conversation. I mean, I'm open to suggestions, but I don't really see any. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but likely one that will be necessary.

The issue is that you seem to believe this is just about people whining, when in reality laws are changing to further oppress people, and that’s not even exclusively against the LGBTQ+ community. Look at Poland, Hungary or Texas, just to name a few. It’s more than a bumpy ride, it’s a huge step backwards. “I’m not gonna stop being who I am just because the tide is turning again” - not now, maybe, but perhaps you should consider what will happen if no one cares enough to change the direction we’re heading in.

24 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I'm sorry, what is it that you would like us to do right this very second? This is a battle that will ebb and flow until we die.

The one thing you can do this very second is to stop acting like this is an issue that will just pass on its own. If you don’t care then that’s on you, but don’t expect anyone else to take your fights for you.

If we want to be honest about it, we can blame this movement for getting started with Joanne Rowling. It's sick and despicable what's happening, I don't know why people can't mind their own business and let people live their true lives?

5 minutes ago, Antinemesis said:

The issue is that you seem to believe this is just about people whining, when in reality laws are changing to further oppress people, and that’s not even exclusively against the LGBTQ+ community. Look at Poland, Hungary or Texas, just to name a few. It’s more than a bumpy ride, it’s a huge step backwards. “I’m not gonna stop being who I am just because the tide is turning again” - not now, maybe, but perhaps you should consider what will happen if no one cares enough to change the direction we’re heading in.

The one thing you can do this very second is to stop acting like this is an issue that will just pass on its own. If you don’t care then that’s on you, but don’t expect anyone else to take your fights for you.

Oof, the assumptions and the lecture. Look, I've been outraged about this stuff, but I find that the thing that I can do is not buckle to the pressure. The world is going to go through what it goes through. Again, if you have a suggestion for what the collective LGBT+ community can do, I'm all ears.

The one thing that we can all do is continue to be the people that we are.

Edited by The7thStranger

2 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

alJihXy.gif

People aren’t ready for a concept that has been around since the dawn of history? Babe the bigoted religious views that demonize us are younger than us

6 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Oof, the assumptions and the lecture. Look, I've been outraged about this stuff, but I find that the thing that I can do is not buckle to the pressure. The world is going to go through what it goes through. Again, if you have a suggestion for what the collective LGBT+ community can do, I'm all ears.

The one thing that we can all do is continue to be the people that we are.

My assumptions are solely based on the comments of yours I’ve seen in this thread. If they’re inaccurate I’d be more than thrilled to be proven wrong. But why is it that you’re allowed to share your views, but when I do it it’s a lecture?

My point is that it’s too easy to say “I’m gonna live my truth and everything will work out”, because it’s easy and it’s comfortable, as long as someone else takes that fight that you’re ignoring for you (and this is referring to “you” as a general person, not you specifically). I don’t have any suggestions on what to do, because frankly, I’m kind of the same as you. It just bothers me when people don’t realize it takes more than a mindset of “it’ll sort itself out, this just needs to pass” to actually fix things.

That said, I am glad you live in a place where you’re allowed to be you. That is not at all what I’m arguing against.

It's always been that way in my country so I'm not shook. It is kinda sad though that gays are being lumped with a lot of other groups.

The pathetic spineless gays will I’m sure blame their own and try to convince others to become “one of the good ones”.

The real answer is to fight extreme right wing ideology across the board. We’re always just the first scapegoats, hell they’re even using the same tired old tactics under the guise of protecting the children that they always have.

That’s what makes me sick about the little homos here who share their views. You’ll never be one of them in their eyes, so don’t be a little ***** and join them against your own interests for short term comfort.

Oh and come join us over at the pink pistols and liberal gun owners groups :heart: 

Edited by jordanjm

1 hour ago, jordanjm said:

Oh and come join us over at the pink pistols and liberal gun owners groups :heart: 

Oh I'm glad you brought this up. More LGBTQ+ people should become confortable with defending themselves and their loves ones. Some of this rhetoric could totally translate to violence, so just like TS Madison said, "stay STRAPPED Just in case anybody wants to be 'inspired' by anything they’ve seen."

I also follow armedequality and armedqueersslc, which also very active on this regard.

28 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Oh I'm glad you brought this up. More LGBTQ+ people should become confortable with defending themselves and their loves ones. Some of this rhetoric could totally translate to violence, so just like TS Madison said, "stay STRAPPED Just in case anybody wants to be 'inspired' by anything they’ve seen."

I also follow armedequality and armedqueersslc, which also very active on this regard.

thanks! I’ll be sure to look up those resources. 

Remember even if you are against guns and are pro gun regulation it’s wise to still protect yourself when they’re still regularly available to those who view you as the enemy for existing. 

My partner was very against owning a gun until I pointed this out to him. He’s still against them but knows how to handle them now. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.