Shawn Mendes pens open letter

EnoughSaid

Not gonna lie… woke up this morning, saw the notes app, and #1 trending topic and I really thought…… Poor thing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brraap

• inmymendes

• rigo

• Into The Void

34 minutes ago, Insanity said:

why r u sorry Charlie is my fave over Shawn lmao

Shawn does have an identity though of course you would disregard it because you and others hate him for absolutely zero reason

it's not for no reason. for one, i hate him because he was dating My Mila, glad it's over :heart2:

• ATRL Moderator

God some of the comments in here...

Yes, assuming someone's sexual orientation and pressuring them to come out is problematic. If you want to believe that Shawn isn't straight, that's fine, you can believe that for yourself, but constantly trying to get someone to do something they clearly have reasons for not doing (either because it isn't true or because they aren't ready) makes you look insensitive. 

Also, to that one person saying that the overwhelming reaction to coming out is positive in modern society, I really must beg that you do your research before claiming such falsehoods. LGBTQIA+ youths are four times more likely to seriously consider and attempt suicide than their peers.

Link: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/research-briefs/estimate-of-how-often-lgbtq-youth-attempt-suicide-in-the-u-s/

Why we're even talking about his sexual orientation when it isn't mentioned once in his letter. I ask people here to be kind and understand that you never truly know what someone is going through. Yes, Shawn is privileged in his place in society but that doesn't mean all the problems he may face lack validity. You just never know, he could be really struggling with anxiety, or depression, he could be dealing with external pressures we're not privy to. Who knows. It's one thing to say the letter lacks depth, that's not something I can really argue against, but to use it to make assumptions of his life is unwarranted and completely unnecessary. 

Spoiler

but in all seriousness, i hope that whatever is happening to him, its gonna be okay:heart2:

Edited by TheCal

4 hours ago, Rv1709 said:

So which celebs write an open letter like that  ? Asking straight male ones 

Joe Jonas did it, it had a lot of tea

Dylan Sprouse from the Disney channel show the sweet life

in fact they did so at the same age

AlexStexaul

is this new label tactic to sell single&album? 

seems like its not working plan:ahh:

Edited by AlexStexaul

12 hours ago, Sesame said:

Wtf :deadbanana2: this video shouldn’t exist :deadbanana2:

AlexStexaul
7 hours ago, private radio said:

he's so boring it hurts... i ain't reading all that i'm happy for u tho sorry that happened

ikr?  :rip: never seen someone more boring in my life. literally. :dies:

11 hours ago, wehavetostan said:

He hasn’t come out yet, but even if he did, what’s wrong with coming out in your 20s? There are a lot of reasons that can keep someone from coming out at a younger age

You misread what I said. I didn't say he came out as gay. I said he came out as a 20 something year old. His letter was literally just him describing most people in their 20s.

14 hours ago, Rev8 said:

wow, he is 23?!

Nnnnnnn mte I can't believe we're the same age :deadbanana4:

That’s a lot of talk without saying anything. I hope he comes in terms with himself and finally be free from whatever is holding him back.

Seems like he’s getting closer to it, good for him.

Poor thing,  said nothing but tried to dogwhistle and STILL no one moved. Even being rich, beloved and crying when love Simon comes on, couldn't save him from hopping on the notes app.

MadonnasBoyfriend

He's young rich hot  famous and can have pretty much anything he wants. Wish I had his problems..!

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, Mast said:

You misread what I said. I didn't say he came out as gay. I said he came out as a 20 something year old. His letter was literally just him describing most people in their 20s.

Oh I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. You're right then and his letter was so general :fan: 

i love shawn, this reads like he needs a hug but also he’s a multimillionaire white young american man, complaining .. everyone has their struggles but this is not it ..

he always tries to act deeply emotional but all i see is much ado about nothing (what truth??) 

he needs to be more candid, not throwing phrases 

tl;dr i love shawn and giving him a virtual hug :heart2: 

I'm over all the speculation, regardless of him being bi, gay, or straight. On this forum and elsewhere. Is actively propping up a lie with the relationships he's had hurting society at large as people here are arguing? I mean, in principal, but he's harmless. I'm just tired by him honestly. He's targeting almost tween MOR radio audiences both professionally and personally still as he's grown and it's just become really boring. He seems sweet and I understand engaging with his fans but maybe he needs to take a break from the industry to reinvent, refresh, or move on entirely. All of his contemporaries seem to be branching out and finding their own lane, like Harry Styles, Troye Sivan, and even Justin Bieber. Shawn just seems stuck. I wish him the best.

44 minutes ago, Frozen99 said:

i love shawn, this reads like he needs a hug but also he’s a multimillionaire white young american man, complaining .. everyone has their struggles but this is not it ..

he always tries to act deeply emotional but all i see is much ado about nothing (what truth??) 

he needs to be more candid, not throwing phrases 

tl;dr i love shawn and giving him a virtual hug :heart2: 

sis, he's a canadian, not american lol

This letter has the same problems as his songs: he’s talking so much but not saying anything at all.

He has to be doing this on purpose.

19 hours ago, Orsay said:

ghey after flop? :jonny2:

This made me CRACK TF UP :ahh:

sorry shawn, no offense

I realise that he just doesn't seem inspired in music. Was he ever really?

He feels like the sort of artist that'll quit music as soon as he starts tanking.

I am still awaiting a main pop boy to make some fun synth smash bops, Harry Styles will do for now, but I hope Shawn can switch things up because he's just not that interesting musically at all. And when you have a whole career relying on your image to sell the music, the music cannot stand on its own.

I'm afraid Britney outsold on the long notes app ramblings/vents. This kinda gave me nothing, but hope it helped for him I guess!

6 hours ago, Espresso said:

I'm over all the speculation, regardless of him being bi, gay, or straight. On this forum and elsewhere. Is actively propping up a lie with the relationships he's had hurting society at large as people here are arguing? I mean, in principal, but he's harmless. I'm just tired by him honestly. He's targeting almost tween MOR radio audiences both professionally and personally still as he's grown and it's just become really boring. He seems sweet and I understand engaging with his fans but maybe he needs to take a break from the industry to reinvent, refresh, or move on entirely. All of his contemporaries seem to be branching out and finding their own lane, like Harry Styles, Troye Sivan, and even Justin Bieber. Shawn just seems stuck. I wish him the best.

Not sure how he's gonna go on a break when he's getting ready for a 100 show tour lol

Edited by Insanity

Miss thing is going through a ruff moment it seems. Like I get he's having his 20' crisis but I don't think writing this essay actually helps him. The only thing it does it's putting more people against him given all his privilege. 

Sam, sweetheart, go off the internet and into therapy to find ya self. 

4 hours ago, lenchen. said:

This letter has the same problems as his songs: he’s talking so much but not saying anything at all.

100%

no substance

say something or say nothing at all lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.