Unrest in Sweden over Quran burnings

Revolution

Just now, Dephira said:

Who was defending the far right? Show us some quotes

Defending the burning of the Quran by the far right with “it’s just a book,” or other excuses is defending the far right. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BGXKB

• Delirious

• Bosque

• JoshBTW

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Defending the burning of the Quran by the far right with “it’s just a book,” or other excuses is defending the far right. 

The fact that you choose to get offended at that "defense" rather than property being destroyed, or humans being injured

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Who cares, it’s a book. 

Girl, I will say this, we were having a Model UN meeting about the Charlie Hebdo murders at my diverse, progressive, public high school in the US and I said that violence was no way to react to an exercise of free speech and suddenly several Muslim kids got up and started defending their “religion.” :mazen:

These people are literally brainwashed.

1 minute ago, MAKSIM said:

Who cares, it’s a book. 

It’s far more than that, it’s an attack on a largely immigrant population’s religion and beliefs on their most sacred month by extremists wanting to attack them and remove their identity. The group doing this literally wants to ban all immigration from non-western countries and deport all Muslims.

I mean, they have a right of freedom of speech to critize religion but there are more productive ways to make criticism out of religion and they knew exactly what they were doing when making such insensitive actions.

And again this will only push more moderate muslims into the extreme when they are being disrespected like this in such a bad faith manner. 

The actions of far-right extremists muslims is also no excuse to throw such violent behaviour over a book, they could've burned a cross or Swedish flag or something or pull a Janet and say "I think what I do has class to it" and not react to obvious provocation so that the far-right Swedish extremists can say "see, we told you so!!1"

20 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

Girl, I will say this, we were having a Model UN meeting about the Charlie Hebdo murders at my diverse, progressive, public high school in the US and I said that violence was no way to react to an exercise of free speech and suddenly several Muslim kids got up and started defending their “religion.” :mazen:

These people are literally brainwashed.

Muslims are constantly made to answer for people who belong to their religion despite the fact that there are like 1.5 billion Muslims on Earth and most acts of violence committed in the name of Islam are against… other Muslims. Obviously saying that the Charlie Hebdo situation was a warranted response to the magazines features is deeply problematic but it sounds like the people in your class were basically given the option to defend their beliefs or be put in a box with religious extremists of which make up a staggeringly small number of Muslims and they chose the former. Not exactly a head scratcher.

42 minutes ago, MAKSIM said:

Who cares, it’s a book. 

I want to get this mentality, but I feel like it's overlooking over how the far-right being defended would react to a bunch of Muslim refugees gathering in a public square and lighting the Swedish flag on fire. A flag is no more meaninglessly symbolic than religious text.

People with reactionary relationships to religion have let their own resentments to religion itself make them conflate the idea of "all religion should be criticized" with "there's nothing wrong with trying to incite people over something deeply personal as faith".

2 minutes ago, Domination said:

Muslims are constantly made to answer for people who belong to their religion despite the fact that there are like 1.5 billion Muslims on Earth and most acts of violence committed in the name of Islam are against… other Muslims. Obviously saying that the Charlie Hebdo situation was a warranted response to the magazines features is deeply problematic but it sounds like the people in your class were basically given the option to defend their beliefs or be put in a box with religious extremists of which make up a staggeringly small number of Muslims and they chose the former. Not exactly a head scratcher.

I literally just said cartoons shouldn’t offend anyone just like I would say the same thing about Jesus or Buddha cartoons and they said that their religious figures are strictly off limits. It’s no different if I wanted to cut off the heads of everyone who insults my favorite character, because that’s what these things are, storybooks characters and these people are upset someone is burning their favorite Twilight novel. If people would just stop being fanatics about things that don’t matter everything would be just fine. Storybook characters don’t matter. Cutting off people’s heads because you don’t like how someone drew your favorite storybook character is depths of depravity level of insane. 

You should note that nothing I’ve said is targeting any one religion or its fanatic followers but all of them. Islam is the second biggest and therefore the second worst religion right behind Christianity. Why should we not attack all the cowardly sheep who believe in fairytales? Once again, religion is a mental illness. It is a specific brand of fanaticism over specific cultural art and things that amount to nothing more than STORIES. Anyone who takes so much faith in STORIES is DELUSIONAL.

So I have to completely say that anyone upset about a book being burned is crazy. If this were the Bible I would still call all these protesters crazy. Because people who believe in that stuff are crazy. Like the end.

4 minutes ago, Communion said:

I want to get this mentality, but I feel like it's overlooking over how the far-right being defended would react to a bunch of Muslim refugees gathering in a public square and lighting the Swedish flag on fire. A flag is no more meaninglessly symbolic than religious text.

People with reactionary relationships to religion have let their own resentments to religion itself make them conflate the idea of "all religion should be criticized" with "there's nothing wrong with trying to incite people over something deeply personal as faith".

I agree with and love your point of view and everything you’ve posted here. I also think both sides are ideologically wrong here, but one side overstepped the ideological into the violently physical real quick and we should not let that get away because we don’t want to offend anyone because I’m not trying to stereotype millions of people just the ones out protesting over a book.

19 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

I literally just said cartoons shouldn’t offend anyone just like I would say the same thing about Jesus or Buddha cartoons and they said that their religious figures are strictly off limits. It’s no different if I wanted to cut off the heads of everyone who insults my favorite character, because that’s what these things are, storybooks characters and these people are upset someone is burning their favorite Twilight novel. If people would just stop being fanatics about things that don’t matter everything would be just fine. Storybook characters don’t matter. Cutting off people’s heads because you don’t like how someone drew your favorite storybook character is depths of depravity level of insane. 

You should note that nothing I’ve said is targeting any one religion or its fanatic followers but all of them. Islam is the second biggest and therefore the second worst religion right behind Christianity. Why should we not attack all the cowardly sheep who believe in fairytales? Once again, religion is a mental illness. It is a specific brand of fanaticism over specific cultural art and things that amount to nothing more than STORIES. Anyone who takes so much faith in STORIES is DELUSIONAL.

So I have to completely say that anyone upset about a book being burned is crazy. If this were the Bible I would still call all these protesters crazy. Because people who believe in that stuff are crazy. Like the end.

I understand what you’re saying, but you’re assuming that everyone does or should look at their religious texts as “just a fairytale,” which diminishes what these people genuinely believe in. The Bible doesn’t say anything about depicting Jesus or religious figures, but the Quran does. It’s also why Islamic art is mostly architectural or calligraphic, and not depicting people. In principle I agree that people shouldn’t react so violently, but it’s kind of insulting to those Muslim students to compare their god and their prophet to a cartoon character, like Mohammad is SpongeBob or something.

3 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

I understand what you’re saying, but you’re assuming that everyone does or should look at their religious texts as “just a fairytale,” which diminishes what these people genuinely believe in. The Bible doesn’t say anything about depicting Jesus or religious figures, but the Quran does. It’s also why Islamic art is mostly architectural or calligraphic, and not depicting people. In principle I agree that people shouldn’t react so violently, but it’s kind of insulting to those Muslim students to compare their god and their prophet to a cartoon character, like Mohammad is SpongeBob or something.

No it’s just a fairytale no matter how many people say otherwise if everyone believed something it could still very well be completely false. 

I feel the same way about people who go to private Christian schools like they’re gonna rise up and attack me one day for existing in a way that “goes against their religious beliefs” which they already have several times. :rip:

7 hours ago, Delirious said:

How is it islamaphobia? We're criticizing a religion which is a choice for most people.

If we criticize Christianity would you say that I'm Christianiphobic? No because you'd be joining in

:clap3: 

So um did any of y'all receive WP for calling the Quran just a book or a fairytale etc?

I got a WP for saying that God was just some random entity ?

Yike no one should be that work up over religion 

I just saw the videos of cars burning and all that :biblio:

the fact people want to defend this is ridiculous. Even if you think burning the book is wrong does that really make destroying property okay? some of you must enjoy violence.

Edited by flower moon

Islamophobic strikes again. yikes!

Burn more religion is trash 

Seeing modern day gay men act like riots are immoral is such a laugh. Even funnier when they can't relate to being antagonized by the rightwing because the people being taunted are a little melanated. Stay being disconnected from others but want people to accept you or gaf about your peace when you condone acts that you wouldn't under your own circumstances(then again maybe you would, these thoughts tend to be present in those with selfhate issues anyway.)

Luckily for sweden, the population isn't prepped to be as vile as america's so less work to be done there.

22 hours ago, Delirious said:

How is it islamaphobia? We're criticizing a religion which is a choice for most people.

If we criticize Christianity would you say that I'm Christianiphobic? No because you'd be joining in

:giraffe:

22 hours ago, IceBreaker said:

Dumb move. This will only help right wing in their cause.

That was what the far-right wanted to achieve with burning the Quran, to elicit a violent reaction from the Muslims.

12 hours ago, Delirious said:

So um did any of y'all receive WP for calling the Quran just a book or a fairytale etc?

I got a WP for saying that God was just some random entity ?

That’s honestly insane sis. Religious followers can always find themselves a friend. Non-religious theists, atheists, and spiritualists are outnumbered by the billions. No follower of the world’s major religions should feel threatened by any free speech if their religious beliefs are really so tried and true.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.