HK drama caught up in brownface controversy

Genius1111

4 hours ago, fagsturbation said:

Tanning your skin to play a character that lives in sunny areas where the locals have tans and lose them the minute it's no longer sunny/they no longer live in such areas will never be paralleled to Blackface to me, sorry :cm: and I will NEVER deem middle easterners and the like as nothing short of white, I've lived there and know what I'm talking about :lakitu: Blackface is mainly a western phenomenon? Go tell that to the Black people living in Egypt and throughout the MENA who have to witness it TO THIS DAY on daytime TV (and not as in we're white/light skinned playing a Black character but as in RACIAL MOCKERY comedy bits). You can carry on this conversation on your own tho cuz you're clearly one of those US/western-centric wokes who peddle the POC discourse while having no clue about the history and experience of Black folks in the lands of those who pretend to be your friends and allies in the US to gain platforms and political influence over your backs (I won't break to you the origins of the race-based Transatlantic slave trade and through which regions it reached europe before reaching america, cuz that would be too much for you, so let's just say f*ck history for now)  :)

Please learn how to punctuate. Your post is basically a never-ending run on sentence. :rip:

a) I don't know where that random anecdote about tanning came from. I'm referring to brownface, nkt tanning, and I used a relevant example. White Hollywood actors have played brown-skinned non-white characters (Native Americans, Indigenous Mexicans, Indians, etc.). None of these people are dark-skinned because they "tan" and a light skinned person using brown makeup to darken themselves to play (and often mock) them is brownface.

b) Blackface is mainly a western phenomenon. Europeans and Arabs are the ones who participated in the slave trade. Completely perpendicular to this thread discussing brownface on a Hong Kong show with a Chinese actress being darkened to play a Filipino (which I don't think is a problem anyway).

c) We're going off-topic, but Middle Eastern people aren't a race. A white Lebanese person is not rlrhe same racially as the avwrage person from a Gulf Arab country. And spare me that condescension about not knowing the history of slave trade. You're the one who's insisting Middle Eastern people are one race, pretending that a white person playing an Indigenous American is the equivalent of "tanning" and not realizing an average Chinese and averagr Filipino are different ethnically. :skull:

Society is so obsessed with colorism and race 

Edited by Insanity

Just now, Insanity said:

Society is so obsessed with colorism and race 

Because colorism and racism are real. :skull:

11 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Because colorism and racism are real. :skull:

Did I say it wasn't

1 minute ago, Insanity said:

Did I say it wasn't

So why are shocked people want to discuss it and the media likes to use as a clickbait topic to get hits on their websites. :skull:

Blackface/brownface is offensive in the US because of their history and the way black people were portrayed.

If it's not considered offensive in Hong Kong why would you take it as an offense? Are the locals offended? 

23 hours ago, Grown K said:

Blackface/brownface is offensive in the US because of their history and the way black people were portrayed.

If it's not considered offensive in Hong Kong why would you take it as an offense? Are the locals offended? 

I mean, we Filipinos should be offended. They even mocked the accent we use. The pervasive notion that our people are just domestic helpers in Asia has been rampant since the 90s. Other Asian countries have always treated us like ****.

I mean we know blackface is bad, because of history and certain events that occured, right? 

If people from that culture are doing brownface and there's no history of where brownface was done to hate/mock people of a certain race or ethnicity is it still bad? With that said, it's weird and feels unnecessary! 

Seriously, what's with the title, Barrack O’Karma? 

I will never understand resorting to that insteado f just hiring a Filipina in Hong Kong. There has got to be at least ONE Filipina in HK who can act and speak Chinese...like come on. 

3 hours ago, IBeMe said:

I will never understand resorting to that insteado f just hiring a Filipina in Hong Kong. There has got to be at least ONE Filipina in HK who can act and speak Chinese...like come on. 

This is where I'm at, regardless of it not having a history of being offensive in their culture... there HAS to be a Filipina actress available. Isn't it even more cost-effective in both time and money? And it would look better aesthetically. I don't understand the need tbh.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, wanderlust said:

and as usual "holier than thou" americans are pushing their morals onto other countries and cultures. STOP interjecting yourself onto other peoples business!

!!!

On 4/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, Inverted said:

What does classism have to do with this? The Chinese actress is playing a Filipina. Filipinos tend to be darker than Chinese people.

The domestic worker character is Filipina. Filipinos, on average, are significantly darker-skinned than Chinese.

(1) How is this not a colorism-fueled classism issue when darker skin tone is associated with lower tier working class while lighter skin tone is associated with wealthier group? You don't even need to live in Asia to understand the phenomenon of "skin color preference" in the Asia region (especially in SEA) where many people tend to brighten or lighten their skin tone since a fairer skin is preferred. (Some articles in EN for more details: [1][2])

(2) Filipinos have a variation of skin tones from light beige to tan, which are actually quite similar to range of skin tone of southern Chinese people typically.

Using a darker skin tone to reinforce the stereotype of a working class character (i.e. a domestic worker) is the prime example of classism (which is also rooted in the colorism in Asia region). And the character will be fair skin afterwards according to the plot when she becomes a member of the family. :cm:

OT:

inb4 the "wEsTeRn pRoPaGaNdA blah blah blah", there are locals and domestic workers who are offended too. (below is an interesting thread from a more local source, that you can find an official defending this with a word-by-word quote " do not think all use of blackface was necessarily wrong" :cm:)

Edited by truthteller

Not Barrack O'Karma :bibliahh:

white people always have a lot of things to say with regard to racism in other people's countries

quite interesting I must say

26 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Asia being racist again? SHOCKING. 

*East Asians

13 hours ago, IBeMe said:

Or even hire an actress from Philippines and bring her to Hong Kong :skull: This role doesn't even require fluent Cantonese as one of the criticisms was that the actress used an offensive, mocking accent.

Edited by rzal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.