95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

1 hour ago, McNulty said:

everything everwhere hype will die down in 1 month, there's no way it will get any noms at the Oscars.

Period

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

I know the hype is on Michelle Yeoh. But anyone think Jamie Lee can snatch a supporting nom for Everything Everywhere? Definitely long over due for a career nomination. 

1 hour ago, leelewisduhh said:

I know the hype is on Michelle Yeoh. But anyone think Jamie Lee can snatch a supporting nom for Everything Everywhere? Definitely long over due for a career nomination. 

It’s pretty unlikely I think because JLC and Hsu would split votes in that category. 

14 hours ago, McNulty said:

everything everwhere hype will die down in 1 month, there's no way it will get any noms at the Oscars.

Definitely not, based on her character alone. 

and it's not like anyone else is likely to have the same type of narrative as michelle, for the nom

First BA predictions for this season :gaycat2:

1.       Michelle Yeoh- EEAAO- hugely acclaimed and multi-faceted performance in a crowdpleaser that can be taken seriously. And she has a massive narrative. I have a hard time seeing her not being a major contender despite the early release and she will surely have critics and industry factions pushing for her. And EEAO could absolutely be a player. 

2.       Margot Robbie- Babylon- It-girl with a juicy role in a major BP contender. 

3.       Naomie Ackie- IWDWS- The industry will want to nominate this, point blank period. 

4.       Olivia Colman- Empire of Light- She's probably in her Meryl era where she just gets nominated for everything

5.       Emma Stone- Poor Things- Unique role and an industry darling. Could see her doing very well with critics and the film becoming a player overall. 

---

6.       Ana De Armas- Blonde- For all the Spencer comparisons, I feel like this will be a more universally accepted/loved performance in a better film. And she's gonna be one of Netflix's priorities and they always perform well in noms. 

7.       Cate Blanchette- Tar- Sounds like a juicy role and Tar is could be Universal's main priority. 

8.       Danielle Beadwyler – Till- Sounds like it'll be a fantastic performance, but I have a hard time seeing her powering through such a crowded field unless critics back her hard. And we all know how expendable black actresses are to the Academy :shakeno:

1 hour ago, EnigmaticAndroid said:

First BA predictions for this season :gaycat2:

1.       Michelle Yeoh- EEAAO- hugely acclaimed and multi-faceted performance in a crowdpleaser that can be taken seriously. And she has a massive narrative. I have a hard time seeing her not being a major contender despite the early release and she will surely have critics and industry factions pushing for her. And EEAO could absolutely be a player. 

2.       Margot Robbie- Babylon- It-girl with a juicy role in a major BP contender. 

3.       Naomie Ackie- IWDWS- The industry will want to nominate this, point blank period. 

4.       Olivia Colman- Empire of Light- She's probably in her Meryl era where she just gets nominated for everything

5.       Emma Stone- Poor Things- Unique role and an industry darling. Could see her doing very well with critics and the film becoming a player overall. 

---

6.       Ana De Armas- Blonde- For all the Spencer comparisons, I feel like this will be a more universally accepted/loved performance in a better film. And she's gonna be one of Netflix's priorities and they always perform well in noms. 

7.       Cate Blanchette- Tar- Sounds like a juicy role and Tar is could be Universal's main priority. 

8.       Danielle Beadwyler – Till- Sounds like it'll be a fantastic performance, but I have a hard time seeing her powering through such a crowded field unless critics back her hard. And we all know how expendable black actresses are to the Academy :shakeno:

Not u forgetting viola davis

14 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Not u forgetting viola davis

I honestly don't think The Woman King is gonna be a good film/vehicle and it just feels like this won't be Viola's year in general:noparty: 

i'm IN girlies, there's only one right answer this season. so happy that we'll have another asian Lead Actress winner after the Emi Li sweep 

The Northman was cute but nowhere groundbreaking as I thought it was going to be, could snatch a Makeup and Hairstyle nom for the Oscars and maybe Nicole could snatch some minor noms for BAsA but that’s it.

3 hours ago, Dark Phoenix said:

The Northman was cute but nowhere groundbreaking as I thought it was going to be, could snatch a Makeup and Hairstyle nom for the Oscars and maybe Nicole could snatch some minor noms for BAsA but that’s it.

Agreed. It didn't really leave room for outstanding performances and the plot was fine but sorta basic? Doesn't leave you simmering like his movies usually do. 

Cinematography etc. was great but that was expected. 

I'll need Emma Stone to commit a category fraud, so she can snatch her second Oscar as best supporting actress.

EEOAO should sweep everything else.

29 minutes ago, Dark Poet said:

I'll need Emma Stone to commit a category fraud, so she can snatch her second Oscar as best supporting actress.

having read the book, she's more lead than anyone else is so it would make zero sense.

and the other women in the book barely register at all making her feel even more lead.

What a shame Yorgos picked Worst Emma as his muse. Significantly diminishing the quality of his filmog. :shakeno:

Nicole booked for another Oscar nod for that The Northman monologue I fear :jonnycat:

46 minutes ago, Gui Blackout said:

Nicole booked for another Oscar nod for that The Northman monologue I fear :jonnycat:

Not when they love ignoring her best work with auteurs and stan the basic ****. :grump:

Finished My Year of Rest and Relaxation the other day that Margot is producing with Lanthimos directing. She really needs to snatch the lead for herself. :jonny5:

On 4/24/2022 at 1:21 AM, Dark Phoenix said:

Should I see The Northman? How weird was it?

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

It's not weird at all? Very concise, straight-forward plot. It's just not a basic, glossy good vs evil and paint by the numbers blockbuster and thus maybe not for everybody, but its still very much a movie meant to entertain first and foremost. Like 6 people in front of me left in the middle of the movie which I thought was very weird. Probably rotted brains from too much Marvel. :dies:

On 4/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, GraceRandolph said:

Yeah it’s worth a ticket, it was not that weird, it has like 3-4 scenes that are like visions but overall it’s an artsy action film, think of Gladiator in a Viking setting with average acting.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/netflixs-big-wake-up-call-the-power-clash-behind-the-crash-1235136004/

Article about Netflix's recent struggles. Interesting part:

Holland also objected to Sarandos’ expensive campaigns for the Oscars: “Cindy said, ‘You’re losing the town. You cannot buy your way to an Oscar.’ That was another thing Ted was mad about.”

She was right, but was fired; also Ted favored Bajaria's Buy Everything strategy. 

Hope she cackled over CODA bringing Apple+ to Best Picture Oscar status while Netflix stayed fuming.

The way Gerwig is gonna try for some obvious social commentary through a character like Barbie :toofunny2: So transparent. Hopefully panned.

Margot will probably give another acclaimed performance though

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.