95th Academy Awards

hausofdave

Nobody was forced at gunpoint to vote for anybody, who cares

I think Emma Thompson was unfairly snubbed for Leo Grande but I’m not gonna cry about it

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Donquizote

• hausofdave

• Blade Runner

Betting website has Fabelmans odds winning Best Picture as 16.60. Meaning if you bet $10, you'd win $166. Seems like a pretty good bet considering it's Top 3?

The whole Andrea controversy is only cared about by twitter gays (and two film studios who got slapped in the face despite spending millions on campaign).

Andrea will have another nomination for Lee next year.

We love OUR SKINNY LEGEND :clap3:

16 hours ago, teresaguidice said:

you weren't supposed to side with anyone. it's morally grey. they're both right and both wrong.

the student's reservations about bach and lydia's initial point (that writing off bach's art entirely because of his moral failings might limit the student's grasp on the medium) both have merit. then you see her character's vindictiveness and relentless need to push her point beyond what's reasonable and intentionally try to humiliate this clearly nervous student essentially for sport, to feed her ego. but then the student, supposedly a warrior for moral clarity and social justice, reverts to calling her a misogynistic slur in response. 

and you weren't supposed to be "outraged" that her words were twisted in the video either. it's just an observation of the way that often in the heat of a public reckoning, both real and invented crimes can mix together in the discourse and it's hard to get clarity as an outside observer. 

i think you want the movie's intentions to be simpler than they are :gaycat2:

and the intentional "without contexts" editing and storyteller from one scene to another is extremely ambitious :clap3: (tho it makes the film last for 2.5 hr long, which may hurt for some people with short attention span i guess) 

So, when Fraser wins and tells the audience that a good chunk of the people giving him a standing ovation are or were actively aware of the deplorable producer circles that sexually exploit actors... Then what?

31 minutes ago, TheLastChord said:

So, when Fraser wins and tells the audience that a good chunk of the people giving him a standing ovation are or were actively aware of the deplorable producer circles that sexually exploit actors... Then what?

He wont do that

I think Farrel is winning Actor and Banshees is winning Picture

1 hour ago, X~MoviePoP said:

He wont do that

It would be cool if that hapenned for all the mess coming from it, but it's certainly not hapenning

Brendan deserved an Oscar nomination for Gods and Monsters AND George of the Jungle

So this would be his third time's a charm :eli:

ACE nominations

Feature Film Drama nominees:
All Quiet on the Western Front
Elvis
TÁR
Top Gun: Maverick
The Woman King

Feature Film Comedy nominees:
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
The Menu
Triangle of Sadness

27 minutes ago, hausofdave said:

Feature Film Comedy nominees:
The Menu

sqcpgh0zsdm.gif

20 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

There was no one she could hide behind, true grit, paper moon, and piano all had an established adult lead. Keisha castle hughes tried to go supporting which made ppl go 'so is the whale supposedly the lead'?

:lmao: 

Im halfway through Triangle of Sadness and I just don’t get what’s good about this movie :coffee2:

Spoiler

the main guy can do me though

20 minutes ago, Frozen99 said:

sqcpgh0zsdm.gif

it's more of a dark comedy/satire than horror. that's why it's been so well received and gettin a few accolades compared to horror movies in general

anya was nominated for best actress in comedy/musical at the Golden Globes for this

Watched Aftersun last night. Yeah it was good.

Paul Mescal's performance is solid. He seems to be a capable actor, but the tea is, nothing he does in it is oustanding. It's the story that serves him more than him doing any heavy lifting.

But what a huge win for a smaller indie film, they must have enjoyed it a lot (that or they must really like Ms. Mescal) because so so SO many acclaimed/critic-circle darling independent movies don't get that honor.

3 hours ago, Eóghan said:

it's more of a dark comedy/satire than horror. that's why it's been so well received and gettin a few accolades compared to horror movies in general

anya was nominated for best actress in comedy/musical at the Golden Globes for this

i loved it but it's definitely more drama than comedy.

1 hour ago, Frozen99 said:

i loved it but it's definitely more drama than comedy.

It failed as a drama so it went for comedy instead :cm: 

21 hours ago, hausofdave said:

hopefully Andrea gets booed and walk’d of shame at the ceremony for deliberately stealing Deadwyler’s nom

Cate, Michele, Ana, and Michele also deliberately stole her spot you know 

Tang Wei, Mia Goth, and Zar give better performance than Deadwyler and Viola.

The fact no one talks about their snubbation :toofunny3:

1 minute ago, Donquizote said:

None of them were nominated for major awards, it’s not relevant to conversation about what people were realistically expecting 

Edited by Blue Monday

19 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

Tang Wei isn't well-known enough even though she gave a top performance.

Goth is fine but not close to top 5.

9 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

It failed as a drama so it went for comedy instead :cm: 

:dies:

On 1/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, Vin said:

Must've never seen Terrence Malick's "Tree of Life."

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

Truly boring, self-indulgent trash.

GagaCantActAtAll.gif

"Tar" may be objectively boring, but I think the film's biggest problem is that it's so cynical and overly apologetic to White men under "cancel culture" media scrutiny. The writer-director is echoing the same overused epitaph that White men use: "Don't be so quick to cancel me! You've got it all wrong, you sheep!" The film portrays the actions of Lydia Tar being "overblown" by the media. But what real world examples have there been of a male public figure who was "unfairly" accused of sexual assault or misconduct and was actually a "victim" of "cancel culture"? There are none that come to mind.

All of that being said, the student with the "Look at me, I'm an individual!" black nail polish was obnoxious. Imagine going to school to be a classical artist—a classically-trained painter, a classically-trained sculptor, a classically-trained dancer, a classically-trained musician—and having the audacity to say, "I don't like the classical artists that came before me because they are 'cis White men'." It was satisfying when Cate Blanchett skulldragged him by saying, "Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring conformity." After all his righteousness, all he could do after Tar exposed his hypocrisy and general idiocy was call her a not-so-righteous misogynistic insult. Ironic. Where was his cancellation?

...Vin

Vin coming through with yet another fabulous hot take :jonnycat:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.