• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

I think the production is well-done but a bit nondescript on many of these songs, and it really brings out the clunkiness of some of the lyrics - the chorus of American Teenager, for instance, is a bit sloppily-written but the production masterfully compliments it and turns it from a saccharine moment to a true anthem, and the album could’ve used more of that. She’s still pretty young and it shows sometimes. The album also could’ve used more versatility, and the pacing is a bit off - I know August Underground and Televangelism are both short (for her standards anyway), but who told her to put two instrumental songs back to back?

American Teenager/Strangers are the best things here by some distance - true lightning in a bottle moments, and she did it twice. Of the new tracks, my favourites are the intro and Ptolomaea.

The album’s still strong, it feels very Badlands (the iconic film, not the bad Halsey album!) and she really got across a lot without leaning too much into tropes and obvious subtext (other than American Teenager actually: her New Americana, but everything else about that one is so phenomenal I can choose to overlook it).

Listening, the intro is already scalping me x

oh I was worried this would be more like the long songs on her EP and less like the singles :monkey:

I'm halfway through and it's nice but American Teenager will be the clear standout, hope she does more bops in the future

the two instrumentals were nice but a bit pointless

Ptolemaea was pretty good, it sounded like Lingua (but good) fff

Sun Bleached Flies was the best album track

Edited by K$Ellie

Let me listen to American Teenager, Strangers and Gibson Girl once more before the album drops in my country :jonny4:

can’t wait to listen to this tomorrow, I just know it’s gonna be my AOTY :jonny4:

8 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

can anyone post lyrics 

I need something :jonny2: 

they're on genius! (can't attest to the accuracy, but they seem correct)

This was a very beautiful experience! The three singles are definitely my favorite songs, along with Ptolemaea and Sun Bleached Flies. The other songs are still really nice and well made - definitely one of my favorite albums this year!

Great album but having 2 instrumentals back to back was a choice

Also my favourite song ruined, butchered :monkey:

This album is truly a journey. The other girls just aren’t doing it like this. A House In Nebraska is probably my favourite of the new tracks. 

‘Thoroughfare’ is truly one of the best songs I’ve ever heard.

Edited by jakedavis1994

holy hell, this is good. this will have incredible replay value. her mind is...just wow, like the influences are clear and obvious but everything just works so brilliantly. 

Strong contender for AOTY.

glad i was on the wagon well before the inevitable bandwagon lol.

the vinyl pressing for this better be as stunning as she was describing it on instagram live a few months ago.

She's insane for this

Family Tree (Intro) - 10/10

American Teenager - 10/10

A House in Nebraska - 10/10

Western Nights - 10/10 

let me continue:jonny: 

Thoroughfare might be my favourite. Of course it would be. Just like Venice B!tch is my favourite Lana song.

I can't think of a debut in recent years as impressive as this. She's deserving of all future 10/10s and 5/5s lol and to think she does the bulk of this material on her own. 

People asking for more American Teenagers...go away lol. It's not even a highlight ?