Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

This album is absolutely gorgeous so far but most of these songs did not need to be 7 minutes long :dancehall: It kills the replay value I fear

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

4 hours ago, mellenthin said:

They're utter trash. Can't believe they're a respected publication the way the keep giving AMAZING projects low scores. They just want to be edgy and that's about it.

And the Peppa album getting a 6.5 says everything you need to know about them.

Devil's advocate: I think Peppa getting 6.5 is fine, I think all genres have a limit but if an album achieves what it sets out to do I think high scores are warranted and the Peppa album did that.

I also think this album mostly did and deserved at least 7.5 but :cm:

Clearly no one had a strong enough opinion on the album hence the average score and then the person with the closest score to the average probably had the least to say, hence the kinda shitty review :rip:

OT: Great album. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't listen to the singles beforehand since I think American Teenager and Strangers (the latter especially whew) were my favorites. 

39 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I would have accepted a 7, but this is sad :skull:

I have to agree that her melodies remind me of Taylor tho

American Teenager is indeed very Swiftian so I understand that one mention. I definitely see the Lana influence as well but holding it against her is nasty. Lana is one of the most impactful artists of the last decade and Born To Die helped in reshaping the landscape of pop music so how is that exactly a bad thing :skull: Overall it was just so lazily, poorly and unprofessionally written to the point where they couldn't even bother with the album's concept or talk about it. 

9/10 from Clash Magazine!! 

Counts for metacritic! :party:

At least everyone is mega acclaiming this :clap3: Misogynist Guardian and PretentiousFork can rot :clap3:  

14 hours ago, Slayn said:

The transphobia---

Absolutely this. 

Sun Beached Flies is extraordinary!

I love how expansive the album is and that every song is 14 minutes  

omgggg Lana stans better stay away from her wtf

Despite some of the songs dragging on a bit (on first listen) I think she is SUPER talented and I really enjoyed it overall.

The last leg of the album hit HARDD :jonny: I'll definitely be revisiting & keeping my eye on miss Cain :heart2:

1 hour ago, State of Grace. said:

American Teenager is indeed very Swiftian so I understand that one mention. I definitely see the Lana influence as well but holding it against her is nasty. Lana is one of the most impactful artists of the last decade and Born To Die helped in reshaping the landscape of pop music so how is that exactly a bad thing :skull: Overall it was just so lazily, poorly and unprofessionally written to the point where they couldn't even bother with the album's concept or talk about it. 

Yeah, it's giving Lana but not in a derivative way. Pitchfork fumbled

9 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

omgggg Lana stans better stay away from her wtf

those annoying ass braindead fwords I swear......

She's literally a huge Lana (& Florence) stan and only said that she doesn't like being compared to her nothing more :deadbanana2:

Edited by State of Grace.

Lana stans are like Armys/Monsters/Barbz of indie girls so this is no surprise :michael:

Listen to first two songs and they're beautiful 

5 hours ago, ElleDriver said:

She reminds me of nicole dollanganger more than anything

Nicole birthed her fs. But Ethel is v unique regardless

I know this sounds very gatekeep-y of me (esp when I discovered her only around March lol) but I really really hope the poppers sniffing drive hacking homos stay away from ha. I don't want her to become another Charli. :dies:  She's not interested in "making it", being famous or getting hits. She even said recently that she just wants to drop an album and disappear like Enya in the future. 

23 minutes ago, astrorep said:

She should put this on her next album :jonny5:

I love this one :jonny5:

The slutty bop Romeo's Daddy was one of first things I listened to from her and I still adore it too :gaycat2:

12 hours ago, Diarrhoea said:

Devil's advocate: I think Peppa getting 6.5 is fine, I think all genres have a limit but if an album achieves what it sets out to do I think high scores are warranted and the Peppa album did that.

I also think this album mostly did and deserved at least 7.5 but :cm:

I somewhat agree as well, let me retract my Peppa jab.

However, to put it into further perspective, P4k has given Nicki's albums 65, 67, 75 and 76 (in chronological order). So, according to P4k all of Nicki's albums are of higher standard than this one. :ahh: 

This is coming from a Nicki stan, who at least knows her albums in full are not great bodies of work. Preacher's Daughter is MILES above any of them, in terms of lyrical content, sonical content, themes, concepts etc etc. I could go on and on about every single aspect and this album would still be far ahead. 

From my heart to P4k, DEATH to all of them.

this album is soooo good. i love the story behind it and her not giving a single **** and releasing 7 minute immaculate songs.

Ptolemaea & Gibson Girl giving southern-trans-horror-lana del rey. we decided to stan.

5 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

I know this sounds very gatekeep-y of me (esp when I discovered her only around March lol) but I really really hope the poppers sniffing drive hacking homos stay away from ha. I don't want her to become another Charli. :dies:  She's not interested in "making it", being famous or getting hits. She even said recently that she just wants to drop an album and disappear like Enya in the future. 

Ugh, that's honestly the most pretentious attitude to have though. Annoying. 

Anyway ******* incredible album. Her storytelling and the journey of each song is so vidid. Especially Throroughfare

16 hours ago, mellenthin said:

Even Lana is a reach for me, because sonically it sounds nothing like her. 

I definitely picked up on Lana and Florence vibes during repeat listens of this -- I do think some of her vocal inflections and that kind of forlorn, meandering delivery/lyrics have lana vibes but tbh she really carved out her own niche with this one album which is quite a feat.