Ethel Cain - 'Preacher's Daughter'

VENUSWAVE

make me think that if she sings in spanish this would be 9.5 because they think its edgy,

yet complete ignore storyline and complain about less upbeat bops.

i-- :confused:

off topic: The smile album is just good but its considered as fun creative project for them, mid album if you are not realized as radiohead side project. no way its better than kendrick florence ethel kevin morby and on par with the black keys one. they are definitely on to something this week.

Edited by Polgg48

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• thatsmydemi

• mellenthin

• brooklyndaddy

The transphobia---

I wouldn’t be mad if the score was justified, but it seems like they put no effort into reviewing this album. They didn’t dig deep into the meaning/storyline at all, didn’t even say the correct duration of the album, and whined about the songs not being as pop as American Teenager. If you want to listen to pop, review pop albums instead of this work. It’s just a very unprofessional review and the album deserved to be viewed from a different deeper perspective.

Yeah Pitchfork missed the mark on this one. American Teenager is the only song on the album I don't really vibe with.

What a lazy review and horrible score. They really were like "everyone thinks we'll stan hard for this one so lets trash it". There's no way Inbred (with all of its excellence) gets 1.2 more than Preacher's Daughter.

American Teenager is fantastic but it's the album bop and there was no need for more songs like that. They didn't even bother with the other song and basically said "Lana did it before".

sub-buzz-2864-1579807916-22.png?resize=990:661?output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&downsize=640:*

queen made several points in the past by tweeting this 

sub-buzz-2864-1579807916-22.png?resize=990:661?output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&downsize=640:* 

I'm not necessarily mad that she got the score, I'm more mad at how lazy the review is. Pitchfork shine when they dive deep into an album and pick it apart, regardless of if it's praise or criticism, none of that happened here, it's a lazy unresearched first impression. Stuff like this hurts for rising artists, Ethel's corner of music relies really heavily on press and praise to build a fanbase and stuff like this cuts away huge potential audience. Pitchfork have been giving her a lot of positive attention so I have no idea what happened here. 

7 minutes ago, perpetual novice said:

I'm not necessarily mad that she got the score, I'm more mad at how lazy the review is. Pitchfork shine when they dive deep into an album and pick it apart, regardless of if it's praise or criticism, none of that happened here, it's a lazy unresearched first impression. Stuff like this hurts for rising artists, Ethel's corner of music relies really heavily on press and praise to build a fanbase and stuff like this cuts away huge potential audience. Pitchfork have been giving her a lot of positive attention so I have no idea what happened here. 

This is the thing thats bugging the most about the review as well. We all know how pretentious and annoying they are (especially as a Lana stan myself) but Ethel could really benefit from new listeners and fans and they just trashed this album after praising her and her EP before. Like now they wanna complain about the album being too long and not POP enough????? :deadbanana2: 

Also I screamed at this tweet nn

not surprised to read something like that
same reviewer gave almost 7 to a Lil Pump album
bye

They're utter trash. Can't believe they're a respected publication the way the keep giving AMAZING projects low scores. They just want to be edgy and that's about it.

And the Peppa album getting a 6.5 says everything you need to know about them.

10 hours ago, Polgg48 said:

off topic: The smile album is just good but its considered as fun creative project for them, mid album if you are not realized as radiohead side project. no way its better than kendrick florence ethel kevin morby and on par with the black keys one. they are definitely on to something this week.

THIS!!

Florence snapped with her new album, and I listened to the Kevin album last night and his voice and songs are as pretty as ever... the The Smile album is good, but it's very much giving In Rainbows b-sides lol

They’ve been writing articles about her constantly since Michelle Pfeiffer released as if she was P4K’s new darling, yet they drop that horses**t review :skull:

There was no substance to it. They mentioned two songs, nothing about the overarching theme, then threw in the lazy Lana and Taylor comparisons. Braindead.

8 minutes ago, Death said:

They’ve been writing articles about her constantly since Michelle Pfeiffer released as if she was P4K’s new darling, yet they drop that horses**t review :skull:

There was no substance to it. They mentioned two songs, nothing about the overarching theme, then threw in the lazy Lana and Taylor comparisons. Braindead.

Literally HOW do they compare her to Taylor in any aspect? :deadbanana4: 

Even Lana is a reach for me, because sonically it sounds nothing like her. 

Yes, they are completely braindead. 

Edited by mellenthin

The way they said Michelle Pfeiffer sounded like a TikTok song too :skull: 

Like what kind of substance was the writer on here :lmao: 

I would have accepted a 7, but this is sad :skull:

I have to agree that her melodies remind me of Taylor tho